Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Mario Vukelic

Default OT: application statistics

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 14:32 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Lots of things can be wrong

There is one fatal flaw, which I already expected in my other mail a few
minutes ago.

> What E-mail Client do we use on Ubuntu?
> ^^^^^^^^
> Checked 100 of the last emails to this list and the results are
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are inferring the ratio of the whole Ubuntu population from the
ratio on the list. This is certainly completely invalid.

Of course, your sample size does not help. Your post does not make clear
whether you counted users or emails, either (though you did write
"emails"). Counting emails (and thus probaby counting individual users
more than once) would be a mistake, too, as far as can tell.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Karl Larsen

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 14:32 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Lots of things can be wrong
>>

> There is one fatal flaw, which I already expected in my other mail a few
> minutes ago.
>

>> What E-mail Client do we use on Ubuntu?
>> ^^^^^^^^
>> Checked 100 of the last emails to this list and the results are
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>

> You are inferring the ratio of the whole Ubuntu population from the
> ratio on the list.
That is false. I said it is what I got the way I showed you.

> This is certainly completely invalid.

It is not! It is a subset of the the whole set.
> Of course, your sample size does not help. Your post does not make clear
> whether you counted users or emails, either (though you did write
> "emails"). Counting emails (and thus probaby counting individual users
> more than once) would be a mistake, too, as far as can tell.

Yes there were some times where the same person had email to the
list in that 100 sample.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 14:47 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> What makes this list not representative? It is all Ubuntu users.

There are Ubuntu users who are not on this list, and the list format and
content selects for the more technically interested parts of the
population?

> And
> yes it is not 100 different users.

This is a problem, too.

> But it is random which makes the
> statistics good.

It's anything but random. To repeat, it is highly self-selecting toward
a very specific type of user.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 14:53 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> That is false. I said it is what I got the way I showed you.

> It is not! It is a subset of the the whole set.

> Yes there were some times where the same person had email to the
> list in that 100 sample.

Your effort is appreciated, but if you insist on not listening and
ignoring input I'll spare my replies until you have demonstrated at
least some effort of acquiring a basic understanding of statistics.