FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-28-2008, 07:14 PM
"Allen Meyers"
 
Default OAFII

----- Original Message -----
From: <ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com>
To: <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 11:49 AM
Subject: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 47, Issue 302


> Send ubuntu-users mailing list submissions to
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> ubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of ubuntu-users digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: 8.04 MTA? (Steve Lamb)
> 2. OAFIID Invest Applet (Jay Ridgley)
> 3. Re: Network monitoring (Bart Silverstrim)
> 4. Re: Network monitoring (Bart Silverstrim)
> 5. Re: New DNS entry will not take effect (Wade Smart)
> 6. Re: What sound recording program? (Johnny Rosenberg)
> 7. Re: setting up worldcall wireless in ubuntu! (chris)
> 8. Re: Spaces in file names of files in drawer (Johnny Rosenberg)
> 9. Re: Network monitoring (Mario Spinthiras)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:56:22 -0700
> From: Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org>
> Subject: Re: 8.04 MTA?
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID: <488DDE16.7080902@dmiyu.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
>
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>> On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 21:04 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>>> One of the 30 accounts set up by default on Ubuntu?
>
>> For that there's ssmtp and the like
>
> And you felt compelled to trim where I suggested nullmailer for just
> that... why? The point already had been made in my message.
>
> --
> Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm
> your
> PGP Key: 8B6E99C5 | main connection to the switchboard of
> souls.
> -------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:58:35 -0500
> From: Jay Ridgley <jridgley2@austin.rr.com>
> Subject: OAFIID Invest Applet
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Message-ID: <488DDE9B.1030408@austin.rr.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Sorry 'bout that
>
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 47, Issue 300
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>
>> Message: 9
>> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 05:47:05 -0700 (PDT)
>> From: Allen Meyers <chef11994@sbcglobal.net>
>> Subject: OAFIID Invest Applet
>> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Message-ID: <567461.32506.qm@web82304.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>> When I attempt to add via right click on panel I encounter a problem and
>> error with subject file. Given a choice delete or do not delete.
>>Does this mean its corrupt, missing or what. If I need to add it and or
>>support features please advise in detail. Not being a smart A_ _ >just new
>>unsure and curious.
>> I cannot tell you how close I read each post and how much I have added to
>> my linux learning curve. Thank you
>>Allen
>>
>>
>> Allen Meyers
>> chef11994@sbcglobal.net
>> wortham_tx@yahoo.com
>> allenmeyers76693@gmail.com
>
>
> Allen, What are you trying to add and what error message are you getting?
>
> I have it running on my system just fine...
>
> Cheers,
> Jay
Jay;
What ever I was trying to load when I got the OAFII invest applet I got side
tracked I do not remember. One of the woes of old age. But anyway trying to
duplicate I attempted to add sticky notes ang got that OAFII again except
Gnome was added to description. So whatever OAFII is I obviously have a
problem. Any help appreciated
Allen
>
> Jay Ridgley
> jridgley2@austin.rr.com
> Registered Linux User ID - 9115
> Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320
>
>
>
>
> --
>
>
> Jay Ridgley
> jridgley2@austin.rr.com
> Registered Linux User ID - 9115
> Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:40:01 -0400
> From: Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
> Subject: Re: Network monitoring
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID: <488DE851.3080801@chrononomicon.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Javier Palacios wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:49 AM, Bart Silverstrim
>> <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:
>>> Does anyone here have a program, preference, configuration,
>>> recommendation...etc...for monitoring your own network for what machines
>>> are connected to it, as in auditing for people that may have connected
>>> with unauthorized hardware somewhere or at least log when machines are
>>> on the wifi or wired network when that network is too small to have a
>>> managed switch or managed WAP?
>>
>> You are looking for SNMP. It's probably the only way to get unified
>> interface for heterogeneous devices, in particular to ARP tables.
>> Unfortunately that's only the protocol, I cannot recommend you any
>> piece of software which uses it, although probably every piece of
>> monitoring software offers you that functionality. I've not used it,
>> but the one that I know that closer resemebles a network-only
>> management one is opennms (http://www.opennms.org/).
>
> To clarify...
>
> What I have is a wireless AP on a small network (a Netgear AP), and it
> does have SNMP but I didn't see the docs on accessing it or polling it.
>
> What I'd like to do is have a way for my Linux system to periodically
> poll the AP (or the network), get a basic list of items on the network,
> and if anything comes up as "new" or "foreign" to just alert me about it
> so I know and have a record of it.
>
> I know there are those that would be recommending encryption methods and
> lockouts and etc. etc...but for this situation I'm mainly just looking
> for logging and auditing of activity. Is this something that can be
> accomplished easily? Arpwatch seems to bury entries in the logs that
> would have to be periodically checked manually. I would prefer some way
> to have it give a more timely alert, such as by email. SNMP can be used,
> but I still need a way to script the actions and wouldn't I also be
> broadcasting access information such as the administration password for
> the AP in the clear over the network?
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:43:25 -0400
> From: Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
> Subject: Re: Network monitoring
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID: <488DE91D.70109@chrononomicon.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Dan Farrell wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:49:49 -0400
>> Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone here have a program, preference, configuration,
>>> recommendation...etc...for monitoring your own network for what
>>> machines are connected to it, as in auditing for people that may
>>> have connected with unauthorized hardware somewhere or at least log
>>> when machines are on the wifi or wired network when that network is
>>> too small to have a managed switch or managed WAP?
>>>
>>
>> It depends on the hardware that provides your wifi Access Point and your
>> internet router. It's pretty unlikely on a small network that somebody
>> could plug a network cable in to your network without your noticing
>> it, but wireless network connections are of course much less
>> transparent.
>>
>> For these I would recommend looking into the options your AP gives
>> you. If your wireless AP allows you some access, it will probably show
>> you the list of wireless devices connected to it. If not, an
>> option might be to look at DHCP leases on your DHCP server, but this
>> may not be a perfect solution, because uninvited visitors could use a
>> static configuration instead.
>>
>> The fail-safe solution would be to use
>> an internet gateway with good reporting (like a linux compuer!) that
>> can show you the traffic going through your internet connection, where
>> it's from, and where it's headed. You can then see if there's any
>> traffic you don't expect, and start to track down it's source.
>>
>> I would highly recommend using WPA on your wireless AP so you don't
>> have to worry about unauthorized access.
>>
>> Unfortunately, if your AP doesn't tell you these things, and you can't
>> get the information from another piece of hardware between the AP and
>> the internet connection, and you aren't on the same collision domain as
>> the AP (eg a hub rather than a switch) your only option is probably to
>> change your network topology to interpose a better statistics generator
>> between potential untrusted network segments and the internet.
>
> This AP does have SNMP (disabled at the moment) and does track
> associations made to it; the component I'm kind of missing is polling it
> periodically and reporting back to me...perhaps the suggestion of SNMP
> might work? I just need help cobbling together scripts to do this if I
> do that route, though.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:32:47 -0500
> From: Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: New DNS entry will not take effect
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID: <488DF4AF.7020604@gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Tommy Trussell wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:
>>>> Wade Smart wrote:
>>>>> 20080728 0744 GMT-6
>>>>>
>>>>> Yesterday I changed my dns to opendns. I opened the network gui and
>>>>> put in my
>>>>> opendns addr's but when I went back later, they were not there.
>>>>>
>>>>> Then I found a post on this:
>>>>> sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
>>>>>
>>>>> and tried that and still, it did not take. Found another post saying:
>>>>> sudo gedit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
>>>>>
>>>>> and add:
>>>>> prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;
>>>>>
>>>>> which I did and still it did not take.
>>>>>
>>>>> Im not sure what is up here but surely I dont have to use my ISP's
>>>>> dns.
>>>>>
>>>>> Wade
>> ...
>>> Your prepend domain-name-servers was the right way to go. However, this
>>> will only take effect when your DHCP client requests an IP address from
>>> the ISP, so for these settings to take effect, you need to disable your
>>> network interface then re-enable it.
>>
>> go back and look over the complete instructions at opendns.org --
>>
>> https://www.opendns.com/start?device=ubuntu
>>
>> The ifdown and ifup commands in the last part of their instructions
>> disable and re-enable the network interface (as Rashkae suggested),
>> which of course you can do using GUI tools OR from the command line as
>> the opendns people suggested. The new dns settings should take effect
>> as soon as the network interface comes back up.
>>
>
> 20080728 1129 GMT-6
>
> That did it. Finally.
>
> Thanks
>
> wade
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:45:42 +0200
> From: "Johnny Rosenberg" <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: What sound recording program?
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID:
> <8ad06bca0807280945x1fc773f9r592855b20408dc00@mail .gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> 2008/7/27 Christian <christian08@runbox.com>
>
>> Hi all,
>> I am looking for a sound recording program that supports Pulseaudio.
>> Since
>> Audacity doesn't support Pulseaudio as of yet.
>
> Sorry to reply with another question, but could that be the reason that I
> can't get any sound from Audacity? Everything else works, but Audacity
> gives
> error messages rather than sound when trying to play a file, no matter
> what
> file format I'm using. I have Ubuntu 8.04 and I guess that means that I
> also
> have Pulse Audio, since I did nothing to remove it.
> Johnnt Rosenberg
>
>
>>
>> Any help would be apreciated, many thanks!
>> Christian
>>
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-users mailing list
>> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/attachments/20080728/d4099e37/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:47:19 -0500
> From: chris <lostpkts@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: setting up worldcall wireless in ubuntu!
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID:
> <8d634f4f0807280947t99fcd8ayf7a39293de4437ec@mail. gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Matt Uchiha <yam.matt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello guys!
>> My name is Mazhar and I am new to the list. I started
>> receiving messages from it and found it very useful. Now I have a very
>> serious problem. I ordered Ubuntu CD 2 weeks ago and i tshould be
>> arriving soon. I use the internet with my world call wireless huawie
>> set, which are sold in Pakistan(I don't know about other countries). I
>> am using windows XP now. My wcall wireless set came with a drivers CD
>> from which I successfully installed the drivers. But I know that I
>> cannot install the drivers in ubuntu. So I wanted to know how can I set
>> up my wcall wireless phone set in ubuntu. Please can anyone help me with
>> this.
>>
>
>
> I'm really not sure if this will help you or not... but I found this.
>
> http://sbjaved.blogspot.com/2008/06/huawei-ets-2558-setup-guide-for-linux.html
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:48:47 +0200
> From: "Johnny Rosenberg" <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Spaces in file names of files in drawer
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID:
> <8ad06bca0807280948h67bedafdja35d1401c70d9a69@mail .gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> 2008/7/27 Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <qrczak@knm.org.pl>
>
>> 2008/7/27 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
>>
>> > I use drawers for some programs and documents, but I found that if a
>> > file
>> > name has spaces in it, it can't be opened from the drawer.
>>
>> Works for me. When I used drag & drop to put a shortcut to such file
>> in a drawer, spaces got represented by %20.
>
> Me too, but it doesn't work.
> Have you tried doing that with ODF documents, having OpenOffice.org as the
> default program for opening such files? Because it works for me too, but
> not
> with ODF/OpenOffice.org.
> No matter if it's an OpenOFfice.org bug or not, there should be a
> workaround, shouldn't it?
> besides I don't really understand why the documents dropped into a drawer
> becomes a starter. Why can't it just be a link to the original document?
>
>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Marcin Kowalczyk
>> qrczak@knm.org.pl
>> http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-users mailing list
>> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/attachments/20080728/0e0cc0fe/attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:49:43 +0300
> From: "Mario Spinthiras" <spinthiras.mario@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Network monitoring
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Message-ID:
> <4f890e580807280949p12921b8eye2bcd40ae520212@mail. gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> zenoss
>
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Bart Silverstrim
> <bsilver@chrononomicon.com
>> wrote:
>
>> Dan Farrell wrote:
>> > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:49:49 -0400
>> > Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >> Does anyone here have a program, preference, configuration,
>> >> recommendation...etc...for monitoring your own network for what
>> >> machines are connected to it, as in auditing for people that may
>> >> have connected with unauthorized hardware somewhere or at least log
>> >> when machines are on the wifi or wired network when that network is
>> >> too small to have a managed switch or managed WAP?
>> >>
>> >
>> > It depends on the hardware that provides your wifi Access Point and
>> > your
>> > internet router. It's pretty unlikely on a small network that somebody
>> > could plug a network cable in to your network without your noticing
>> > it, but wireless network connections are of course much less
>> > transparent.
>> >
>> > For these I would recommend looking into the options your AP gives
>> > you. If your wireless AP allows you some access, it will probably show
>> > you the list of wireless devices connected to it. If not, an
>> > option might be to look at DHCP leases on your DHCP server, but this
>> > may not be a perfect solution, because uninvited visitors could use a
>> > static configuration instead.
>> >
>> > The fail-safe solution would be to use
>> > an internet gateway with good reporting (like a linux compuer!) that
>> > can show you the traffic going through your internet connection, where
>> > it's from, and where it's headed. You can then see if there's any
>> > traffic you don't expect, and start to track down it's source.
>> >
>> > I would highly recommend using WPA on your wireless AP so you don't
>> > have to worry about unauthorized access.
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, if your AP doesn't tell you these things, and you can't
>> > get the information from another piece of hardware between the AP and
>> > the internet connection, and you aren't on the same collision domain as
>> > the AP (eg a hub rather than a switch) your only option is probably to
>> > change your network topology to interpose a better statistics generator
>> > between potential untrusted network segments and the internet.
>>
>> This AP does have SNMP (disabled at the moment) and does track
>> associations made to it; the component I'm kind of missing is polling it
>> periodically and reporting back to me...perhaps the suggestion of SNMP
>> might work? I just need help cobbling together scripts to do this if I
>> do that route, though.
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-users mailing list
>> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
> Mario A. Spinthiras
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/attachments/20080728/41ab1d7f/attachment.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
>
> End of ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 47, Issue 302
> *********************************************


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-29-2008, 01:19 AM
"David Fox"
 
Default OAFII

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Allen Meyers <chef11994@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Send ubuntu-users mailing list submissions to
>> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

You know, it would be really nice if digest users would switch to
regular list mail mode. Failing that, at least trim the portion of the
digest that they're not replying to.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org