Old 07-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Hal Burgiss

Default MYSQL Replication problem

This is a simple one to one set up. Slave is 8.04LTS server, fully
upgraded, and the master is CentOS mysql 5.0. I have done this step by
step using 4 different HOWTOs and I get the same result: it *seems*
to work, in that there are no errors or obvious complaining, but I
always get:

Slave_IO_Running: No
Slave_SQL_Running: Yes

Always. It just sits in that state and there is no replicating going
on.

mysql> show slave statusG;
Slave_IO_State:
Master_Host: db.example.com
Master_User: slave
Master_Port: 3306
Connect_Retry: 120
Master_Log_File: mysql-bin.000001
Read_Master_Log_Pos: 585161
Relay_Log_File: mysqld-relay-bin.000001
Relay_Log_Pos: 98
Relay_Master_Log_File: mysql-bin.000001
Slave_IO_Running: No
Slave_SQL_Running: Yes
Replicate_Do_DB:
Replicate_Ignore_DB:
Replicate_Do_Table:
Replicate_Ignore_Table: mysql.user
Replicate_Wild_Do_Table:
Replicate_Wild_Ignore_Table:
Last_Errno: 0
Last_Error:
Skip_Counter: 0
Exec_Master_Log_Pos: 585161
Relay_Log_Space: 98
Until_Condition: None
Until_Log_File:
Until_Log_Pos: 0
Master_SSL_Allowed: No
Master_SSL_CA_File:
Master_SSL_CA_Path:
Master_SSL_Cert:
Master_SSL_Cipher:
Master_SSL_Key:
Seconds_Behind_Master: NULL

mysql> show slave statusG;
Slave_IO_State:
Master_Host: garth2.resultsbydesign.com
[...]
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> show processlistG;
Id: 13
User: system user
Host:
db: NULL
Command: Connect
Time: 648
State: Has read all relay log; waiting for the slave I/O thread to update it
Info: NULL
*************************** 2. row ***************************
Id: 14
User: noname
Host: localhost
db: NULL
Command: Query
Time: 0
State: NULL
Info: show processlist

slave config:
==============

server-id = 2
##log_bin = /var/log/mysql/mysql-bin.log
master-host=db.example.com
master-port=3306
master-user=slave
master-password=somethinghere
master-connect-retry=60
replicate-ignore-table=mysql.user

The both systems are open to each other via port 3306. I can remotely
connect to the master using the slave's credentials just fine. Logging
is on, on the master.

There is plenty helpful info via google to make sure Slave_IO_Running
is YES, but scant little to say about what if its not. I can't believe
4 HOWTOs are all wrong on this. Ideas?

--
Hal

Old 07-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:38:58PM -0400, Hal Burgiss wrote:

> This is a simple one to one set up. Slave is 8.04LTS server, fully
> upgraded, and the master is CentOS mysql 5.0. I have done this step by
> step using 4 different HOWTOs and I get the same result: it *seems*
> to work, in that there are no errors or obvious complaining, but I
> always get:
>
> Slave_IO_Running: No
> Slave_SQL_Running: Yes

For the record, the apparent cause was that multiple slave users had
been created, but only one had replication privileges. And naturally
during the replication handshake the slave was working consistently
with the wrong credentials.

--
Hal

Old 07-31-2008, 08:16 AM
"Mario Spinthiras"

For the record I have an article on a dual master-slave relationship between two ubuntu servers. The article can be found at :

http://www.spinthiras.net/2007/12/22/dual-master-mysql-replication/

The setup has been tested and is pretty robust.

--
Warm Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras

Old 07-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Hal Burgiss

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:16:16AM +0300, Mario Spinthiras wrote:
> For the record I have an article on a dual master-slave relationship between
> two ubuntu servers. The article can be found at :
>
> http://www.spinthiras.net/2007/12/22/dual-master-mysql-replication/
>
> The setup has been tested and is pretty robust.

Thanks. I am definitely headed toward HA. This is a first step, and I
am moving other machines from various Linuxes to Ubuntu. Which will be
a huge relief not having to know 4 different packaging systems and
untangling things like HA and LVS.

--
Hal