Old 07-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Frank McCormick

Default No consoles in Gutsy

Just discovered that I have no consoles in Gutsy (except for 7 of
course). Ctrl-Alt-F1--F6 just gives me a blank screen and puts the
monitor to sleep.

Any suggestions?
--
Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca>

Old 07-28-2008, 05:52 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Frank McCormick
<fmccormick@videotron.ca> wrote:
> Just discovered that I have no consoles in Gutsy (except for 7 of
> course). Ctrl-Alt-F1--F6 just gives me a blank screen and puts the
> monitor to sleep.
>
> Any suggestions?

intel video? See
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/182865>

If so, the short answer is downgrade and pin your xserver-xorg-intel
back one version as apparently they can't fix it without rewriting too
many other items. Or upgrade to Hardy.

Brian

Old 07-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Frank McCormick

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:52:44 -0400
Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Frank McCormick
> <fmccormick@videotron.ca> wrote:
> > Just discovered that I have no consoles in Gutsy (except for 7 of
> > course). Ctrl-Alt-F1--F6 just gives me a blank screen and puts the
> > monitor to sleep.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>

> intel video? See
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/182865>
>
> If so, the short answer is downgrade and pin your xserver-xorg-intel
> back one version as apparently they can't fix it without rewriting too
> many other items. Or upgrade to Hardy.

That's the one. Damn. Guess I'll have to upgrade. Thanks Brian.

--
Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca>

Old 07-28-2008, 07:37 PM
NoOp

On 07/28/2008 11:13 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:52:44 -0400
> Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Frank McCormick
>> <fmccormick@videotron.ca> wrote:
>> > Just discovered that I have no consoles in Gutsy (except for 7 of
>> > course). Ctrl-Alt-F1--F6 just gives me a blank screen and puts the
>> > monitor to sleep.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>>

>> intel video? See
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/182865>
>>
>> If so, the short answer is downgrade and pin your xserver-xorg-intel
>> back one version as apparently they can't fix it without rewriting too
>> many other items. Or upgrade to Hardy.
>

> That's the one. Damn. Guess I'll have to upgrade. Thanks Brian.

I am running xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.1.1-0ubuntu9.1 (gutsy-updates)
with Intel Corporation 82865G and have no problems with consoles. What
version of xserver-xorg-video-intel do you have installed?

Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Frank McCormick

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:37:37 -0700
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 07/28/2008 11:13 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:52:44 -0400
> > Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> intel video? See
> >> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/182865>
> >>
> >> If so, the short answer is downgrade and pin your xserver-xorg-intel
> >> back one version as apparently they can't fix it without rewriting too
> >> many other items. Or upgrade to Hardy.
> >

> > That's the one. Damn. Guess I'll have to upgrade. Thanks Brian.
> >

> I am running xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.1.1-0ubuntu9.1 (gutsy-updates)
> with Intel Corporation 82865G and have no problems with consoles. What
> version of xserver-xorg-video-intel do you have installed?

I now have 2:2.1.1-0ubuntu9.0 installed as I just downgraded. I guess I
had 9.1 installed. The downgrade fixed the console problem.

Cheers

--
Frank McCormick fmccormick@videotron.ca