Old 07-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Wally

Default No Task Bars?

HELP!

My P4, 1 gig, 2.4 mhz machine runs Ubuntu 8.04, 24/7. Dual boot with XP
sp3, which I only have because I have never been able to get my scanner
to work with Linux.

Last week I removed Evolution mail program since I use Thunderbird.

Friday I needed to reboot the machine after an update. Now I don't have
the tool bars that are at the top and bottom of the screen.

Without them I have no way of running any programs!

Right clicking on the screen lets me change the wallpaper.

How can I get the toolbars back?

Or make copies of my Mozilla Foxfire bookmarks, Thunderbird e-mails and
address book, then I can just reformat and start over clean.

Booting from the Ubuntu 7.10 disc, I was unable to find my Mozilla files
to make copies.

Thanks,
WALLY

Old 07-28-2008, 05:28 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Wally <wheser@pacbell.net> wrote:
> HELP!
>
> My P4, 1 gig, 2.4 mhz machine runs Ubuntu 8.04, 24/7. Dual boot with XP
> sp3, which I only have because I have never been able to get my scanner
> to work with Linux.
>
> Last week I removed Evolution mail program since I use Thunderbird.

Unfortunately a lot of things in Gnome depend on some of the evolution
packages. Once you've logged in and have no panels (toolbars), press
Alt-F2. In the resulting dialog, type "gnome-terminal". When you get
your terminal, type "sudo apt-get install gnome-panel" and press
enter. Once it's finished installing and you log out and back in,
your panels should be back.

At that point, you might want to have a peek at the apt log and see if
anything else may have been removed. You can uninstall evolution, but
some packages like evolution-common need to remain for Gnome to work
properly...

Chris

Old 07-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Kapil Singh

Hello,
Right click on desktop click on <create panel> and then after creating panel
right clk on panel > add to panel > then add main menu, and other panel
options from there.
if you are not getting create panel option then then create a new user from
terminal.
and then login with that i thik there is no need for that.

Thanks

Wally-9 wrote:

> HELP!
>
> My P4, 1 gig, 2.4 mhz machine runs Ubuntu 8.04, 24/7. Dual boot with XP
> sp3, which I only have because I have never been able to get my scanner
> to work with Linux.
>
> Last week I removed Evolution mail program since I use Thunderbird.
>
> Friday I needed to reboot the machine after an update. Now I don't have
> the tool bars that are at the top and bottom of the screen.
>
> Without them I have no way of running any programs!
>
> Right clicking on the screen lets me change the wallpaper.
>
> How can I get the toolbars back?
>
> Or make copies of my Mozilla Foxfire bookmarks, Thunderbird e-mails and
> address book, then I can just reformat and start over clean.
>
> Booting from the Ubuntu 7.10 disc, I was unable to find my Mozilla files
> to make copies.
>
> Thanks,
> WALLY

-----
Kapil singh kushwah
Linux System Administrator
Hotwax Media Inc
Indore (M.P.), India

Old 07-28-2008, 05:41 PM
Karl Larsen

Wally wrote:
> HELP!
>
> My P4, 1 gig, 2.4 mhz machine runs Ubuntu 8.04, 24/7. Dual boot with XP
> sp3, which I only have because I have never been able to get my scanner
> to work with Linux.
>
> Last week I removed Evolution mail program since I use Thunderbird.

Alas, the people at Ubuntu who design the software use the Evolution
mail software for many things including it seems the task bars.

Suggest that you re-install Evolution and guess you need to do that
from a partial init stop place. I am not sure how this can be done and
someone else needs to help with this. Anyway install Evolution and then
your system will work.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-29-2008, 07:12 AM
"Mumia W."

On 07/28/2008 12:07 PM, Wally wrote:
> HELP!
>
> My P4, 1 gig, 2.4 mhz machine runs Ubuntu 8.04, 24/7. Dual boot with XP
> sp3, which I only have because I have never been able to get my scanner
> to work with Linux.
>
> Last week I removed Evolution mail program since I use Thunderbird.
>
> Friday I needed to reboot the machine after an update. Now I don't have
> the tool bars that are at the top and bottom of the screen.
>
> Without them I have no way of running any programs!
>
> Right clicking on the screen lets me change the wallpaper.
>
> How can I get the toolbars back?
>
> Or make copies of my Mozilla Foxfire bookmarks, Thunderbird e-mails and
> address book, then I can just reformat and start over clean.
>
> Booting from the Ubuntu 7.10 disc, I was unable to find my Mozilla files
> to make copies.
>
> Thanks,
> WALLY

It sounds like the gnome-panel cannot load. It has probably started
crashing after the removal of evolution. My theory is that gnome-panel
tries to load an icon that no longer exists, and the panel aborts.
However, gnome-panel is not dependent upon evolution according to
"aptitude."

I suggest reinstalling evolution, rebooting the machine, and removing
any evolution icons from the gnome-panel (the panel). You should then be
able to remove evolution without problems.

PS.
It's wise to have an alternate window manager installed at these times
such as blackbox. Also, even without the gnome-panel, you can launch
programs by middle-clicking on the desktop, and you can right-click to
create a launcher for your favorite X-terminal.