Old 07-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Wade Smart

Default New DNS entry will not take effect

20080728 0744 GMT-6

Yesterday I changed my dns to opendns. I opened the network gui and put in my
opendns addr's but when I went back later, they were not there.

Then I found a post on this:
sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf

and tried that and still, it did not take. Found another post saying:
sudo gedit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

and add:
prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;

which I did and still it did not take.

Im not sure what is up here but surely I dont have to use my ISP's dns.

Wade

Old 07-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Karl Larsen

Wade Smart wrote:
> 20080728 0744 GMT-6
>
> Yesterday I changed my dns to opendns. I opened the network gui and put in my
> opendns addr's but when I went back later, they were not there.
>
> Then I found a post on this:
> sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
>
> and tried that and still, it did not take. Found another post saying:
> sudo gedit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
>
> and add:
> prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;
>
> which I did and still it did not take.
>
> Im not sure what is up here but surely I dont have to use my ISP's dns.
>
> Wade

Hi Wade, I am not sure what a opendns is but in general dns changes
take about 3 to 7 days to start working. So please wait awhile and it
might start working :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Rashkae

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
>> 20080728 0744 GMT-6
>>
>> Yesterday I changed my dns to opendns. I opened the network gui and put in my
>> opendns addr's but when I went back later, they were not there.
>>
>> Then I found a post on this:
>> sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
>>
>> and tried that and still, it did not take. Found another post saying:
>> sudo gedit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
>>
>> and add:
>> prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;
>>
>> which I did and still it did not take.
>>
>> Im not sure what is up here but surely I dont have to use my ISP's dns.
>>
>> Wade
>>

> Hi Wade, I am not sure what a opendns is but in general dns changes
> take about 3 to 7 days to start working. So please wait awhile and it
> might start working :-)

Ignore Karl, the rest of us do. (I won't bother explaining why in this
case unless asked)

Your prepend domain-name-servers was the right way to go. However, this
will only take effect when your DHCP client requests an IP address from
the ISP, so for these settings to take effect, you need to disable your
network interface then re-enable it.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:34 PM
"Tommy Trussell"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:
>> Wade Smart wrote:
>>> 20080728 0744 GMT-6
>>>
>>> Yesterday I changed my dns to opendns. I opened the network gui and put in my
>>> opendns addr's but when I went back later, they were not there.
>>>
>>> Then I found a post on this:
>>> sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
>>>
>>> and tried that and still, it did not take. Found another post saying:
>>> sudo gedit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
>>>
>>> and add:
>>> prepend domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;
>>>
>>> which I did and still it did not take.
>>>
>>> Im not sure what is up here but surely I dont have to use my ISP's dns.
>>>
>>> Wade
>
> Your prepend domain-name-servers was the right way to go. However, this
> will only take effect when your DHCP client requests an IP address from
> the ISP, so for these settings to take effect, you need to disable your
> network interface then re-enable it.

https://www.opendns.com/start?device=ubuntu

The ifdown and ifup commands in the last part of their instructions
disable and re-enable the network interface (as Rashkae suggested),
which of course you can do using GUI tools OR from the command line as
the opendns people suggested. The new dns settings should take effect
as soon as the network interface comes back up.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Wade Smart

Tommy Trussell wrote:

>> Your prepend domain-name-servers was the right way to go. However, this
>> will only take effect when your DHCP client requests an IP address from
>> the ISP, so for these settings to take effect, you need to disable your
>> network interface then re-enable it.

> https://www.opendns.com/start?device=ubuntu
>
> The ifdown and ifup commands in the last part of their instructions
> disable and re-enable the network interface (as Rashkae suggested),
> which of course you can do using GUI tools OR from the command line as
> the opendns people suggested. The new dns settings should take effect
> as soon as the network interface comes back up.

20080728 1129 GMT-6

That did it. Finally.

Thanks

wade