Old 07-28-2008, 03:08 AM
Ed Jabbour

Default How to generate /etc/default/acpi-support?

I lost the above file (don't ask). I reinstalled the package; still no file.
I tried dpkg --configure; it returned "already installed and configured". I
tried /etc/init.d/acpi-support stop/start; it returned "/etc/acpi/power.sh:
line 3: /etc/default/acpi-support: No such file or directory". I rebooted,
hoping the file would be generated; still no file. How do I get it back?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:08:56PM -0400, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> I lost the above file (don't ask). I reinstalled the package; still no file.
> I tried dpkg --configure; it returned "already installed and configured". I
> tried /etc/init.d/acpi-support stop/start; it returned "/etc/acpi/power.sh:
> line 3: /etc/default/acpi-support: No such file or directory". I rebooted,
> hoping the file would be generated; still no file. How do I get it back?

Extract it from the acpi-support-*.deb you'll find in
/var/cache/apt/archives. I prefer Midnight Commander to do that (press
Enter while on a .deb and you'll be able to browse its contents).

dpkg --purge acpi-support followed by reinstalling should also work.

Marius Gedminas
--
When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets a little crowded.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 AM
"Mumia W."

On 07/27/2008 10:08 PM, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> I lost the above file (don't ask). I reinstalled the package; still no file.
> I tried dpkg --configure; it returned "already installed and configured". I
> tried /etc/init.d/acpi-support stop/start; it returned "/etc/acpi/power.sh:
> line 3: /etc/default/acpi-support: No such file or directory". I rebooted,
> hoping the file would be generated; still no file. How do I get it back?

Manually download the .deb from an Ubuntu repository and extract the
package contents into a temporary directory using "dpkg -x
acpi-support"; you should find the file in the expected location:
./etc/default/acpi-support.