Old 07-28-2008, 01:41 AM
David Clark

Default slow system

I'm a Linux newbie, so i need your help +patience.

i run Ubuntu on a new Dell Laptop with 2gb of memory and its started
running slow as hell. Where should I start looking for reasons?
Any ways to speed up a Linux system?

davidclark AT davidclark.org

Old 07-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Dan Farrell

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:13:16 -0600
Blaine Fleming <groups@digital-z.com> wrote:

> Define running slow. When you run a program is it slow to start or
> is it slow to load a webpage? Running 'top' from the command line
> and providing the first five lines can be very useful to diagnose
> further.
>
> --Blaine

Top is a very useful program. You can use the < and > keys (make sure
to hold shift!) to sort by column. Use > a few times to see what is
using the most CPU and Memory. If anything is running at nearly 100%
CPU it's probably going to slow your computer down pretty
significantly. If you are low on memory and something is using quite
a lot, it might have to swap to disk (but with 2G memory, this is
unlikely the problem).

If your web connnection is slow, but local stuff is speedy, you're
likely to have a saturated internet connection. This could be the
fault of ubuntu, or it could be the fault of another computer on your
network.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:13 AM
Blaine Fleming

Old 07-28-2008, 02:19 AM
steve

Old 07-28-2008, 02:20 AM
ssc1478

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:41:03 -0500
David Clark <clarksd5@cox.net> wrote:

> I'm a Linux newbie, so i need your help +patience.
>
> i run Ubuntu on a new Dell Laptop with 2gb of memory and its started
> running slow as hell. Where should I start looking for reasons?

I use htop. Allows sorting by cpu, memory, etc. You need to install
it, and then a menu item under Application -> System Tools is created.
Or you could use top in a terminal window.

Phil

Old 07-28-2008, 02:30 AM
"Kim Briggs"

On 7/27/08, David Clark <clarksd5@cox.net> wrote:
> I'm a Linux newbie, so i need your help +patience.
>
> i run Ubuntu on a new Dell Laptop with 2gb of memory and its started
> running slow as hell. Where should I start looking for reasons?
> Any ways to speed up a Linux system?
>
> davidclark AT davidclark.org

Hi DC,

My recommendation to any linux user is to add the "System Monitor"
applet to your panel whenever you load linux on a computer:

--Right-click on the panel you want it to appear in
--Click on "Add to panel"
--Under "System and Hardware", select "System Monitor"
--Right-click on the new applet and select the "Memory" box to be shown as well.

This gives you an easy, visual look at if and when your processor
and/or memory is getting maxed (probably not the memory in your case).

You can left-click the applet at any time and see the CPU % for your
applications. Click on the "%" heading and they will be sorted by
that field.

cheers,
--
http://kimbriggs.com

Old 07-28-2008, 05:07 AM
Dan Farrell

Cool, but does it support network access to that info? I use gkrellm
for that ability, because it does, but I admit it's pretty ugly.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
NoOp

On 07/27/2008 10:07 PM, Dan Farrell wrote:
> Cool, but does it support network access to that info? I use gkrellm
> for that ability, because it does, but I admit it's pretty ugly.

Yes. If you 'ssh -X' into the machine just run: gnome-system-monitor