Old 07-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Dan Farrell

Default cannot open a file over my network

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 23:07:58 +0100
Stephen Constantinou <stephanos@writeme.com> wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I have a network of two computers behind a Smoothwall firewall. One
> is an ethernet connection to a switch the other is a wireless
> connection to a wireless/4 port router set up as an access point
> connected to the switch.

Shouldn't be any problems there...

> The ethernet computer is an XP and the wireless connection is a Ubuntu
> 8.1 laptop that I have recently installed a load of updates for. 136
> in fact.
>
> Since this update of packages, I am not able to do his. After I click
> the file the OO splash screen starts but does not continue to open
> OO or the file. No application opens and no error messages occur.
>
> I have tried looking through the installed packages but I cannot
> identify any one package that might have done this.
>
> I look at System Settings > Sharing > File Sharing which is set to
> Simple Sharing.
>
> I am at a loss to know what I did and what I can do to solve it.

Better make sure openoffice is working. Why don't you try to start it
without opening a network file? If it can create a new file, you know
it is a network/share problem. IF not, the problem is with the local
openoffice software.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Dan Farrell

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 00:46:07 +0100
Stephen Constantinou <stephanos@writeme.com> wrote:

> Dear Dan
>
> Good advice.
>
> I can save and open a file on the Linux machine but I cannot save a
> file onto the networked/XP machine.
>
> Hope that helps

It does. It effectively proves that the network access is the problem,
not the local openoffice software.

If the windows computer changed at all, I would start looking for a
misconfiguration issue there. However, if it's only the ubuntu
computer that changed, I'd avise that you think back to any
configurations you changed to get the network fileshare working in the
first place. It is not unlikely that the ubuntu update overwrote some
configuration changes you made.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Stephen Constantinou

Old 07-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Stephen Constantinou

Dear Dan

Luckily the XP machine has not been changed. Only the many
packages/update on the laptop. I had not changed anything on the laptop
prior to the update. I made another test. I copied from the XP onto
the laptop an ODT file and was able to open it in OO without any
corruption or error messages. To be complete I turned off the firewall
(part of kaspersky) on the XP as well. No resolution.

Is this anything to do with a firewall setting in Ubuntu. I have not
managed to find a firewall configuration in System Settings. Perhaps a
new package changed something, but I am at the edge of my knowledge to know.

any further help appreciated

Stephen