Old 07-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Brian Tillman

Default Card Reader Ubuntu

See if you can find a kernel module for*Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822
On Jul 27, 2008, at 2:23 PM, Santiago Hernández Lemes wrote:Hello! I have an acer aspire 7520 but my card reader does not work in Hardy Heron.
My lspci says:

00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 ISA Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP67 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Co-processor (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 IDE Controller (rev a1)
00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 AHCI Controller (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7000M (rev a2) (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:04.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
01:04.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
01:04.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
01:04.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
01:04.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

Santiago Hernández
http://www.tulugar.com.uy
http://www.twitter.com/santius

dangerous content by
MailScanner, and is

believed to be clean.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:12 PM
"Santiago Hernández Lemes"

Please, tell me how could I do this?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2008, 10:12 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Santiago Hernández Lemes
<santi84@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello! I have an acer aspire 7520 but my card reader does not work in Hardy
> Heron.
> My lspci says:
> 01:04.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host
> Adapter (rev 22)
> 01:04.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
> 01:04.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter
> (rev 12)
> 01:04.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)

What does it show if you look at /var/log/syslog when you plug a card in?

Brian

Old 07-27-2008, 10:22 PM
Dan Farrell

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 14:33:16 -0700
As I recall, these devices are supported by the mmc driver in the
kernel. Could you please send over the output of `sudo lsmod` so we
can see whether it's loaded?

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2008, 10:50 PM
"Santiago Hernández Lemes"

What does it show if you look at /var/log/syslog when you plug a card in?

Nothing, the last log entry is about 15 minutes ago...

Thanks.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:26 PM
"Santiago Hernández Lemes"

As I recall, these devices are supported by the mmc driver in the

kernel. *Could you please send over the output of `sudo lsmod` so we

can see whether it's loaded?
This is the response:

Module***************** Size* Used by
isofs***************** 36388* 0
udf******************* 88612* 1
nls_iso8859_1********** 4992* 0

nls_cp437************** 6656* 0
vfat****************** 14464* 0
fat******************* 54556* 1 vfat
usb_storage*********** 73664* 0
libusual************** 19108* 1 usb_storage
tifm_sd*************** 12936* 0

tifm_7xx1************** 8576* 0
tifm_core************* 11012* 2 tifm_sd,tifm_7xx1
binfmt_misc*********** 12808* 1
rfcomm**************** 41744* 2
l2cap***************** 25728* 13 rfcomm
bluetooth************* 61156* 4 rfcomm,l2cap

ipv6***************** 267780* 23
vboxdrv*************** 61360* 0
ppdev***************** 10372* 0
powernow_k8*********** 16704* 1
cpufreq_conservative**** 8712* 0
cpufreq_ondemand******* 9740* 0
cpufreq_stats********** 7104* 0

freq_table************* 5536* 3 powernow_k8,cpufreq_ondemand,cpufreq_stats
cpufreq_powersave****** 2688* 0
cpufreq_userspace****** 5284* 0
video***************** 19856* 0
output***************** 4736* 1 video

container************** 5632* 0
sbs******************* 15112* 0
sbshc****************** 7680* 1 sbs
dock****************** 11280* 0
iptable_filter********* 3840* 0
ip_tables************* 14820* 1 iptable_filter

x_tables************** 16132* 1 ip_tables
ndiswrapper********** 192920* 0
sbp2****************** 24072* 0
parport_pc************ 36260* 0
lp******************** 12324* 0
parport*************** 37832* 3 ppdev,parport_pc,lp

joydev**************** 13120* 0
af_packet************* 23812* 4
snd_hda_intel******** 344728* 3
uvcvideo************** 58116* 0
snd_pcm_oss*********** 42144* 0
snd_mixer_oss********* 17920* 1 snd_pcm_oss

compat_ioctl32********* 2304* 1 uvcvideo
videodev************** 29440* 1 uvcvideo
v4l1_compat*********** 15492* 2 uvcvideo,videodev
snd_pcm*************** 78596* 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
v4l2_common*********** 18304* 2 uvcvideo,videodev

snd_page_alloc******** 11400* 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep************* 10500* 1 snd_hda_intel
battery*************** 14212* 0
snd_seq_dummy********** 4868* 0
snd_seq_oss*********** 35584* 0
snd_seq_midi*********** 9376* 0

ac********************* 6916* 0
snd_rawmidi*********** 25760* 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event***** 8320* 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
nvidia************** 7106340* 36
snd_seq*************** 54224* 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event

snd_timer************* 24836* 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device********* 9612* 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
serio_raw************** 7940* 0
sdhci***************** 19076* 0
ricoh_mmc************** 4352* 0

snd******************* 56996* 17 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,sn d_hwdep,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_ seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
mmc_core************** 51460* 2 tifm_sd,sdhci
agpgart*************** 34760* 1 nvidia

button***************** 9232* 0
acer_acpi************* 18112* 0
led_class************** 6020* 1 acer_acpi
shpchp**************** 34452* 0
pci_hotplug*********** 30880* 1 shpchp
soundcore************** 8800* 1 snd

k8temp***************** 6656* 0
i2c_core************** 24832* 1 nvidia
wmi_acer*************** 9644* 1 acer_acpi
evdev***************** 13056* 6
pcspkr***************** 4224* 0
psmouse*************** 40336* 0

ext3***************** 136712* 1
jbd******************* 48404* 1 ext3
mbcache**************** 9600* 1 ext3
sg******************** 36880* 0
sr_mod**************** 17956* 1
sd_mod**************** 30720* 3

cdrom***************** 37408* 1 sr_mod
pata_acpi************** 8320* 0
ahci****************** 28420* 2
pata_amd************** 14212* 1
ata_generic************ 8324* 0
ohci1394************** 33584* 0

ehci_hcd************** 37900* 0
ohci_hcd************** 25348* 0
ieee1394************** 93752* 2 sbp2,ohci1394
forcedeth************* 51980* 0
libata*************** 159344* 4 pata_acpi,ahci,pata_amd,ata_generic

scsi_mod************* 151436* 6 usb_storage,sbp2,sg,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata
usbcore************** 146028* 7 usb_storage,libusual,ndiswrapper,uvcvideo,ehci_hcd ,ohci_hcd
thermal*************** 16796* 0
processor************* 36872* 3 powernow_k8,thermal

fan******************** 5636* 0
fbcon***************** 42912* 0
tileblit*************** 3456* 1 fbcon
font******************* 9472* 1 fbcon
bitblit**************** 6784* 1 fbcon
softcursor************* 3072* 1 bitblit

fuse****************** 50708* 3
*

Old 07-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Dan Farrell

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:26:32 -0300
"Santiago Hernández Lemes" <santi84@gmail.com> wrote:

> ricoh_mmc 4352 0

There is your kernel module that should drive the hardware. I would
think it would pop up in the appropriate place in a list of all media.

If you are having problems seeing the device, it may be that you need to
scan more LUNS on the device than you are. I had that problem and
fixed it by adding "max_luns=256" to my kernel command line in grub,
but that was gentoo, not ubuntu. However, in my case I was using a
USB-attached card reader. I don't think you are.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:54 AM
"Brian McKee"

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Dan Farrell <dan@spore.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:26:32 -0300
> "Santiago Hernández Lemes" <santi84@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ricoh_mmc 4352 0
>
> There is your kernel module that should drive the hardware. I would
> think it would pop up in the appropriate place in a list of all media.
>
> If you are having problems seeing the device, it may be that you need to
> scan more LUNS on the device than you are. I had that problem and
> fixed it by adding "max_luns=256" to my kernel command line in grub,
> but that was gentoo, not ubuntu. However, in my case I was using a
> USB-attached card reader. I don't think you are.

So, just to summarize - at first glance it looks like it should be working.

Have you tried more than one card in it? Or that reader in another OS?

It wouldn't hurt to try Dan's suggestion either....

Brian

Old 07-28-2008, 03:40 AM
Dan Farrell

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:54:31 -0400
"Brian McKee" <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, just to summarize - at first glance it looks like it should be
> working.

It seems unlikely that a supporting module needs to be loaded, since
the autoloader took care of loading that one. But who knows? you
could poke around in /lib/modules/`uname -r`

> Have you tried more than one card in it? Or that reader in another
> OS?

Or taken another look at the logs, and made sure it wasn't quietly
blurting out something? I expect `dmesg|grep -i mmc` to be telling.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:54 PM
"Santiago Hernández Lemes"

I am at work right now, but I will try Dans suggestion, adding this line to kernell in grub.

> Have you tried more than one card in it? *Or that reader in another

> OS?

I have tried this in Vista and it was working well

Thanks everybody! This is why I love linux, the linux people!