Old 07-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Robert Holtzman

Default 8.04 MTA?

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Dan Farrell wrote:

>>> I will probably have to install sendmail or postfix as I want to run
>>> SpamAssassin, invoking it thru the MTA rather than thru
>>> Procmail. I have documentation on setting this up on sendmail
>>> but nothing on postfix.
>>
>> I can't believe the documentation wouldn't be _more_ available for
>> Postfix...
>
> Yeah, it should be pretty easy to scare up. I have postfix on my mail
> server and strongly considered setting up server-wide spamassassin, but
> got lazy. Honestly, if I were you I would use fetchmail and procmail +
> spamassassin if i _really_ wanted to keep all my mail locally.

I already run fetchmail and procmail. I tried running SpamAssassin from
procmail but it slowed everything down to a crawl. Since I lurk on some
high volume lists, it was unacceptable. The docs on Spamassassin I found
claim that invoking it from the MTA creates less overhead and is faster.

> Consider this: if you have a dynamic IP, people are unlikely to accept
> your email. Unless you have a business-type connection, your ISP
> probably isn't even going to allow port 25 communication to or from
> your server. Furthermore, keeping your mail locally means that unless
> you have remote access, you have to be at home to read your mail.
> Finally, who is going to send the mail to postfix?

Your last sentence lost me. Can you clarify?

Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
To enjoy life take big bites. Moderation is for monks.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> A more typical desktop install, at least for Ubuntu's target users,
> would be Evolution or Thunderbird fetching email from a remote POP or
> IMAP server, and using the ISP's MTA.
>
> It seems sensible to optimize for this case, as the procmail and
> mutt-using folks are perfectly capable of installing their MTA of
> preference

Don't be too sure. I run fetchmail, procmail, and alpine but when I looked
at a copy of the sendmail configuration file I had to reach for the Scotch
bottle. What a can of worms. Maybe it's just because I haven't had any
occasion to study it. Is postfix any easier?

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped

Old 07-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 13:00 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> Is postfix any easier?

Postfix is consiberably easier.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Postfix

Old 07-28-2008, 08:30 PM
"Victor Padro"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 13:00 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:

> Is postfix any easier?

Postfix is consiberably easier.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Postfix

Happy bday, Mario

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 PM
"Steve C. Lamb"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 08:00:17PM +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> A weekend of partying followed by being up today before 6 in order to be
> at the office by 7 to crawl under the tables all day long in the summer
> heat to finish phase 1 of the office restructuring, despite today being
> my birthday.

... Dude..... Happy birthday?

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 16:38 -0400, Steve C. Lamb wrote:
> ... Dude..... Happy birthday?

^_^

Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 PM
"Steve C. Lamb"

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:59:49PM -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> I already run fetchmail and procmail. I tried running SpamAssassin from
> procmail but it slowed everything down to a crawl. Since I lurk on some
> high volume lists, it was unacceptable. The docs on Spamassassin I found
> claim that invoking it from the MTA creates less overhead and is faster.

This is probably because when you push it through a MTA it is no longer a
serial process.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Derek Broughton

Robert Holtzman wrote:

> I already run fetchmail and procmail. I tried running SpamAssassin from
> procmail but it slowed everything down to a crawl. Since I lurk on some
> high volume lists, it was unacceptable. The docs on Spamassassin I found
> claim that invoking it from the MTA creates less overhead and is faster.

I found the same, and switched to bogofilter for much better speed - but it
must be about 4 years since I did that, and I'd heard SpamAssassin was much
improved.
--
derek

Old 07-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Derek Broughton

Robert Holtzman wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Mario Vukelic wrote:
>
>> A more typical desktop install, at least for Ubuntu's target users,
>> would be Evolution or Thunderbird fetching email from a remote POP or
>> IMAP server, and using the ISP's MTA.
>>
>> It seems sensible to optimize for this case, as the procmail and
>> mutt-using folks are perfectly capable of installing their MTA of
>> preference
>
> Don't be too sure. I run fetchmail, procmail, and alpine but when I looked
> at a copy of the sendmail configuration file I had to reach for the Scotch
> bottle. What a can of worms. Maybe it's just because I haven't had any
> occasion to study it. Is postfix any easier?

Yes! Which is why I asked the only-slightly-facetious question about
whether there really was a distro shipping sendmail as a default.
--
derek

Old 07-29-2008, 05:14 PM
"Steve C. Lamb"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:49:31AM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Yes! Which is why I asked the only-slightly-facetious question about
> whether there really was a distro shipping sendmail as a default.

Has Postfix been wrangled into doing the right thing at SMTP time vis a
vis spam or is its qmail-esque way of running hopelessly impossible to
shoehorn into a viable security model?