Old 07-28-2008, 04:12 AM
Mario Vukelic

Default 8.04 MTA?

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 21:04 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> One of the 30 accounts set up by default on Ubuntu?

For that there's ssmtp and the like

Old 07-28-2008, 05:04 AM
Dan Farrell

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:12:34 +0200
Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 21:04 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > One of the 30 accounts set up by default on Ubuntu?
>
> For that there's ssmtp and the like

Exactly what I was going to argue, but I have become concerned about
the lack of alias support in ssmtp. Perhaps there's a better option?
Perhaps it really is postfix? Or perhaps you need MX Records for your
host?

I am really not sure whether ssmtp can help ... input?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Derek Broughton

Dan Farrell wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:42:47 -0300
> Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>
>> > I was unaware that an MTA isn't required for a desktop
>> > installation. I thought it was neccessary to transfer the mail from
>> > the server to the MUA, or in my case to Procmail.
>>
>> Procmail can do that itself.

I can't believe I said that. What I was really thinking was that I use
Fetchmail to get mail, and do deliver it to a local MTA, but could just
deliver it to Procmail directly.

> What mail server wouldn't be running POP or IMAP? The MUA should be
> able to pull (or view) the mail directly from(on) th server!

Absolutely.
--
derek

Old 07-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Rashkae

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Dan Farrell wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:42:47 -0300
>> Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

>>> Procmail can do that itself.
>
> I can't believe I said that. What I was really thinking was that I use
> Fetchmail to get mail, and do deliver it to a local MTA, but could just
> deliver it to Procmail directly.
>> What mail server wouldn't be running POP or IMAP? The MUA should be
>> able to pull (or view) the mail directly from(on) th server!

Be that as it may, the children these days just have no appreciation for
how we did things back in the day before these fancy new memory sucking
all-in-one GUI apps. I say, if you want to use a classic unix
environment, you most certainly need an MTA. Fortunately, installing
postfix (or sendmail, if you're a masochist) is really easy and needs no
configuration to work. (Although, if your box is directly connected to
the Internet, you should configure a firewall as well)

Old 07-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Steve Lamb

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 21:04 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>> One of the 30 accounts set up by default on Ubuntu?

> For that there's ssmtp and the like

And you felt compelled to trim where I suggested nullmailer for just
that... why? The point already had been made in my message.

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 8B6E99C5 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Mario Vukelic

Old 07-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 07:56 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> And you felt compelled to trim where I suggested nullmailer for just
> that... why?

Um, let's see *scratches head*

A weekend of partying followed by being up today before 6 in order to be
at the office by 7 to crawl under the tables all day long in the summer
heat to finish phase 1 of the office restructuring, despite today being
my birthday.

Yeah, that must have been it. Sorry

Old 07-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:00:17 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 07:56 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>> And you felt compelled to trim where I suggested nullmailer for just
>> that... why?
>
> Um, let's see *scratches head*
>
> A weekend of partying followed by being up today before 6 in order to be
> at the office by 7 to crawl under the tables all day long in the summer
> heat to finish phase 1 of the office restructuring, despite today being
> my birthday.
>
> Yeah, that must have been it. Sorry

Happy Birthday ;-),
Aart

Old 07-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 18:39 +0000, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> Happy Birthday ;-),

Thanks

Old 07-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>
>> I will probably have to install sendmail or postfix as I want to run
>> SpamAssassin, invoking it thru the MTA rather than thru Procmail. I have
>> documentation on setting this up on sendmail but nothing on postfix.
>
> I can't believe the documentation wouldn't be _more_ available for
> Postfix...

It probably is. I just haven't had the time to dig it up.

Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...