-   -   X11 + OpenGL and other libraries (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/132571-x11-opengl-other-libraries.html)

"Chaman Singh Verma" 07-27-2008 06:51 PM

X11 + OpenGL and other libraries

Hello,

Is there any standard place where we can find the latest
software packages.* Actually, I am tired of searching of
many packages for Ubuntu on the net.

Thanks,
csv

"David Fox" 07-27-2008 07:16 PM

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Chaman Singh Verma <csv610@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any standard place where we can find the latest
> software packages. Actually, I am tired of searching of

freshmeat?

but what's wrong with just tracking hardy and doing apt-get update &&
apt-get upgrade every so often.

Mario Vukelic 07-27-2008 08:16 PM

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 00:21 +0530, Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> Is there any standard place where we can find the latest
> software packages.

Latest as in "the latest upstream sources from the various free software
projects"? Freshmeat or Sourceforge would be good places to start.

> Actually, I am tired of searching of
> many packages for Ubuntu on the net.

On the other hand, if you are talking for software to be used with
Ubuntu, you would install the standard Ubuntu packages from menu
Applications -> Add/Remove, use menu System -> Administration ->
Synaptic, or one of the command line package managers like aptitude.
You can also look for packages at http://packages.ubuntu.com

"Chaman Singh Verma" 07-27-2008 09:05 PM

X11 + OpenGL and other libraries

Hi,

It seems that many packages are not upto-date and I don't know where I must look for the required package.

For example, I had very tough time identifying which
package contains Intrinsic.h in X11.

I wish there were a centralized place where only the
latest version were available. I wish at least X11 were packaged together in Ubuntu.

Chaman Singh
Poona.

"David Fox" 07-27-2008 10:28 PM

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Chaman Singh Verma <csv610@gmail.com> wrote:

> For example, I had very tough time identifying which
> package contains Intrinsic.h in X11.

libxv-dev.

You can answer that question yourself using apt-file, but for me it's
easier to install wajig and then use the wajig package (wajig whichpkg
Intrinsic.h) and it spits out the package you need to install to get
that file.

"David Fox" 07-27-2008 10:28 PM

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 3:28 PM, David Fox <dfox94085@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Chaman Singh Verma <csv610@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For example, I had very tough time identifying which
>> package contains Intrinsic.h in X11.
>
> libxv-dev.

Oops. I meant of couse libxt-dev.

Mario Vukelic 07-28-2008 04:18 AM

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 02:35 +0530, Chaman Singh Verma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that many packages are not upto-date and I don't know where I
> must look for the required package.

Up-to-date in which respect? They are as up-to-date as can be done when
you expect a system that is tested and works. If you require the newest
sources to do development work on these libs, like X11-related stuff,
you will want to pull the source from the project's cvs/svn server
anyway.

> For example, I had very tough time identifying which
> package contains Intrinsic.h in X11.

As David wrote i the other reply, you can use apt-file for that, or
http://packages.ubuntu.com

> I wish there were a centralized place where only the
> latest version were available.

Define "latest".

> I wish at least X11 were packaged together in Ubuntu.

The majority of users only needs a tine part of the available X11
packages, and certainly needs no development headers. If you want to
develop on Ubuntu, you should familiarize yourself with how it works.
There is plenty of documentation available.