Old 11-20-2007, 02:05 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

Default How to disable icon stretch in Gnome Desktop?

I have locked the background picture for all our users with gconf-editor. Now they have
figured out they can download pictures then use the stretch feature to cover the desktop
with whatever they want. This wastes time, and can look pretty poor if anyone tours our
labs (who knows what the students will have for photos). I have been looking for a way
to globally force all desktop icons to the default, but have had no luck. Google just
tells me that the feature is there to stretch icons....I know that already :-) And I've
looked at most every setting in gconf-editor and cannot find it.

Do any of you know how this could be done?

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
453-5188

Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Fajar Priyanto

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 22:05:16 Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> I have locked the background picture for all our users with gconf-editor.
> Now they have figured out they can download pictures then use the stretch
> feature to cover the desktop with whatever they want. This wastes time,
> and can look pretty poor if anyone tours our labs (who knows what the
> students will have for photos). I have been looking for a way to globally
> force all desktop icons to the default, but have had no luck. Google just
> tells me that the feature is there to stretch icons....I know that already
> :-) And I've looked at most every setting in gconf-editor and cannot find
> it.

Hello Jim,
Maybe we can set permission of readonly for the Desktop direktory? That way
the student won't be able to save anything on the desktop.

http://linux2.arinet.org
06:02:20 up 51 min, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:03 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 06:02:24 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote
> On Tuesday 20 November 2007 22:05:16 Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > I have locked the background picture for all our users with gconf-editor.
> > Now they have figured out they can download pictures then use the stretch
> > feature to cover the desktop with whatever they want. This wastes time,
> > and can look pretty poor if anyone tours our labs (who knows what the
> > students will have for photos). I have been looking for a way to globally
> > force all desktop icons to the default, but have had no luck. Google just
> > tells me that the feature is there to stretch icons....I know that already
> > :-) And I've looked at most every setting in gconf-editor and cannot find
> > it.
>
> Hello Jim,
> Maybe we can set permission of readonly for the Desktop direktory? That way
> the student won't be able to save anything on the desktop.

I was really hoping for a response of a modification for gconf-editor's mandatory window
to just snap the stuff back to standard size. I don't really want to keep them from
saving stuff to the desktop. Maybe what I want isn't possible without some major
tweaks. Thanks for the suggestion. I did find an option in gconf-editor that would
prevent previewing the images so they would just get a generic jpg icon or something, I
might try that first before a complete ban of saving to the desktop.

Thanks again,
Jim

Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 10:05 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> I have locked the background picture for all our users with
> gconf-editor.

For lockdown and kiosk mode you should look into the sabayon and
pessulus packages. Maybe they can help you.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Brian McKee

Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Kenneth Loafman

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> I have locked the background picture for all our users with gconf-editor. Now they have
> figured out they can download pictures then use the stretch feature to cover the desktop
> with whatever they want. This wastes time, and can look pretty poor if anyone tours our
> labs (who knows what the students will have for photos). I have been looking for a way
> to globally force all desktop icons to the default, but have had no luck. Google just
> tells me that the feature is there to stretch icons....I know that already :-) And I've
> looked at most every setting in gconf-editor and cannot find it.
>
> Do any of you know how this could be done?

It's not called a *Personal* Computer for nothing. If you can't
customize it, it can't be personal...

That said, I don't think what you want to do is possible, given that
this customization is decided by the user. The admin can decide what
root gets for a background, but that's about it. Maybe some creative
use of permissions, removal of the tools that change it, but its not
something that should be easy by default.

...Ken

Old 11-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Caleb Marcus

Hmm, perhaps it should be made easier to lock the system down for a kiosk environment... perhaps someone should post something to the Gnome Usability List (usability@gnome.org)