Old 11-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Caleb Marcus

Default How to disable icon stretch in Gnome Desktop?

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 19:03 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

I was really hoping for a response of a modification for gconf-editor's mandatory window
to just snap the stuff back to standard size. I don't really want to keep them from
saving stuff to the desktop. Maybe what I want isn't possible without some major
tweaks. Thanks for the suggestion. I did find an option in gconf-editor that would
prevent previewing the images so they would just get a generic jpg icon or something, I
might try that first before a complete ban of saving to the desktop.

Perhaps you should consider rethinking your policy on saving things to the desktop... you could create some sort of permanent directory structure linked to from the desktop (the "Student" folder, for example) and have them use that to store their files.

If you want to really rethink the way they use their computers, you could set up user accounts for each of them, and they can have their own, private place to store files (private from other students, not from you) and they can mess with the background all they want without annoying other students or you. My old school used a roaming profiles system with their eMac computers, which worked really well, because every student had their own folder to store files that no one else could get into (except the admin, of course) and could change the settings, background, etc. to whatever they wanted. The best part was that because the profiles (home folders) were stored on a central server, they could log in from any computer in the school and their settings and files would follow them. I'm not sure exactly how to set that up in Ubuntu, but it's definitely possible.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:19 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 20:05 -0500, Caleb Marcus wrote:

> Hmm, perhaps it should be made easier to lock the system down for a
> kiosk environment

See my other reply about sabayon and pessulus.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:30 AM
Caleb Marcus

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 07:19 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 20:05 -0500, Caleb Marcus wrote:

> Hmm, perhaps it should be made easier to lock the system down for a
> kiosk environment

See my other reply about sabayon and pessulus.

I have tried pessulus, but not sabayon... Pessulus is okay, but not all that powerful. What does sabayon do? The description of the package scares me a little.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 01:30 -0500, Caleb Marcus wrote:
> I have tried pessulus, but not sabayon... Pessulus is okay, but not
> all that powerful.

Dunno about powerful, but it makes it "easier to lock the system down
for a kiosk environment", which is why I mentioned it to you.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/sabayon/

Old 11-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Caleb Marcus

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 20:51 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 01:30 -0500, Caleb Marcus wrote:
> I have tried pessulus, but not sabayon... Pessulus is okay, but not
> all that powerful.

Dunno about powerful, but it makes it "easier to lock the system down
for a kiosk environment", which is why I mentioned it to you.

> What does sabayon do? The description of the package scares me a
> little.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/sabayon/

What I was referring to was Kenneth Loafman's comment that doing certain things should not be easy by default... and I think they should. One popular use of Ubuntu is in school and kiosk environments, and pessulus really doesn't cut it.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:38 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Friday 23 November 2007 03:38:15 Caleb Marcus wrote:
> What I was referring to was Kenneth Loafman's comment that doing certain
> things should not be easy by default... and I think they should. One
> popular use of Ubuntu is in school and kiosk environments, and pessulus
> really doesn't cut it.

Yes pessulus doesn't, yet.
Actually sabayon is really promising. Too bad when I try it (just now), it
doesn't work. For example, I'm trying to limit user menu just "Internet" from
menu list, in Xnet environment it works, but when I logon, all the menu
appears as normal.
http://linux2.arinet.org
12:38:14 up 15 min, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.