Old 07-27-2008, 07:49 AM
James Takac

Default Email problem

Hi Ken

On Sunday 27 July 2008 17:23:47 Ken McLennan wrote:
> G'day there James,
>
> > Have you changed the way you're posting? I use gmail as well and have
> > noticed that I'll see the posts made via the web interface but not via
> > smtp. It seems a feature of gmail
> >
> > James
>
> I've heard that GMail can cause a few "issues" on mailing lists,
> however in this instance it seems to work. I previously used a pop3
> account provided by my ISP and it worked fine for ages. However, they
> recently joined forces with another company and from about that time my
> account has turned to crap.
>
> I just changed to my Gmail address and you've replied, so
> something's working properly. I thought I may have had a problem with
> either Gmail or the add-on I use so I can access webmail via
> Thunderbird, but it all appears to be OK. I still have no idea what went
> wrong, but I'm happy with the outcome and appreciate your words of
> caution. At least now if random problems occur I have an idea of where
> to look.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Ken

No probs, At leat you know it's working then. Had me flummoxed a lil when I
was trying to work out what was going on. I only see my posts these days if I
use the web interface to post. When using pop/smtp I only see replies
assuming there are any

James

--
Let him who would move the world first move himself.

Socrates

Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Ken McLennan

G'day there James,

> No probs, At leat you know it's working then. Had me flummoxed a lil when I
> was trying to work out what was going on. I only see my posts these days if I
> use the web interface to post. When using pop/smtp I only see replies
> assuming there are any
>
> James

I spoke to soon. I now get replies, but not my own messages. However
it seems that my posts are on the list, just not getting back to me. I
guess I can live with that, although it's not ideal.

Thanks again
See ya
Ken

Old 07-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Ken McLennan

G'day there Martin,

> They are being sent back. Gmail throws out emails that it already has
> via a different route, e.g. emails which are copies of what you sent
> (at least I think it works this way because I've experienced it)
Aha!! That sounds like it may be the issue. The scenario fits in
quite well with the current symptoms, which are the same on one or two
other lists I use with Gmail. A bit annoying, but not disastrous.

Thanks for the input
See ya
Ken

Old 07-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Ken McLennan

G'day there again Marcin,

My apologies. My sent mail folder tells me that I called you
"Martin" in my last email. A case of the eye seeing what it's used to I
think. Sorry about that. I should be more careful.

See ya
Thanks again
Ken

Old 02-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Susan Day

Hi;The following message appears to have been sent, but in fact never does reach their destination:
[root qmail-send]# tail current*

@400000004b87b3d3392cbddc new msg 97881462

@400000004b87b3d3392cc5ac info msg 97881462: bytes 531 from <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com> qp 23629 uid 508

@400000004b87b3d33b7f700c starting delivery 4: msg 97881462 to remote suzieprogrammer@gmail.com

@400000004b87b3d33b7f7bc4 status: local 0/10 remote 1/255

@400000004b87b3d4338aec64 delivery 4: success: 209.85.216.35_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_2.0.0_OK_1267184586_6si34162 00pxi.53/

@400000004b87b3d4338af434 status: local 0/10 remote 0/255

@400000004b87b3d4338d4dc4 end msg 97881462

[root qmail-send]# tail lock*

[root *qmail-send]# tail state*

[root *qmail-send]# ps wax|grep qmail

*7759 ?* * * * S* * * 0:00 supervise qmail-send

*7761 ?* * * * S* * * 0:00 supervise qmail-pop3d

*7763 ?* * * * S* * * 0:00 supervise qmail-smtpd

*8011 pts/0* * S+ * * 0:00 grep qmail

21589 ?* * * * S* * * 0:00 qmail-send

21590 ?* * * * S* * * 0:00 tcpserver -H -R -v -c100 0 110 qmail-popup mail.13gems.com /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw qmail-pop3d Maildir

21591 ?* * * * S* * * 0:00 multilog t s100000 n20 /var/log/qmail/qmail-pop3d

21593 ?* * * * S* * * 0:00 /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R -l mail.13gems.com -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c 30 -u 508 -g 503 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd mail.13gems.com /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /usr/bin/true

21595 ?* * * * S* * * 0:00 multilog t s100000 n20 /var/log/qmail/qmail-smtpd

21596 ?* * * * S* * * 0:00 multilog t s100000 n20 /var/log/qmail/qmail-send

21597 ?* * * * S* * * 0:00 qmail-lspawn ./Maildir

21598 ?* * * * S* * * 0:00 qmail-rspawn

21601 ?* * * * S* * * 0:00 qmail-clean

[root *qmail-send]# qmailctl stat

/service/qmail-send: up (pid 21589) 60864 seconds

/service/qmail-send/log: up (pid 21596) 60864 seconds

/service/qmail-smtpd: up (pid 21593) 60864 seconds

/service/qmail-smtpd/log: up (pid 21595) 60864 seconds

/service/qmail-pop3d: up (pid 21590) 60864 seconds

/service/qmail-pop3d/log: up (pid 21591) 60864 seconds

messages in queue: 0

messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0

Why?TIA,
Susan

Old 02-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/26 Susan Day <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com>:
> Hi;
> The following message appears to have been sent, but in fact never does
> reach their destination:
>
> [root qmail-send]# tail current
>
> @400000004b87b3d3392cbddc new msg 97881462
>
> @400000004b87b3d3392cc5ac info msg 97881462: bytes 531 from
> <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com> qp 23629 uid 508
>
> @400000004b87b3d33b7f700c starting delivery 4: msg 97881462 to remote
> suzieprogrammer@gmail.com
>
> @400000004b87b3d33b7f7bc4 status: local 0/10 remote 1/255
>
> @400000004b87b3d4338aec64 delivery 4: success:
> 209.85.216.35_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_2.0.0_OK_1267184586_6si34162 00pxi.53/

remote end accepted message.

> messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0
>
> Why?

Remote smtp server is not working correctly or spamfilter on it kills message?

Note that it can take a bit time until gmail delivers it to mailbox.

--
Eero

Old 02-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Susan Day wrote on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:21:01 -0400:

> [root qmail-send]# tail current

Hello, I would appreciate if you could stop to send all your software
problems to this list. Most of your problems seem to be qmail-related,
please go to a qmail list for these. Thanks.

Kai

Old 02-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Susan Day

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:

2010/2/26 Susan Day <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com>:

> Hi;

> The following message appears to have been sent, but in fact never does

> reach their destination:

> [root qmail-send]# tail current

> @400000004b87b3d3392cbddc new msg 97881462

> @400000004b87b3d3392cc5ac info msg 97881462: bytes 531 from

> <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com> qp 23629 uid 508

> @400000004b87b3d33b7f700c starting delivery 4: msg 97881462 to remote

> suzieprogrammer@gmail.com

> @400000004b87b3d33b7f7bc4 status: local 0/10 remote 1/255

> @400000004b87b3d4338aec64 delivery 4: success:

> 209.85.216.35_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_2.0.0_OK_1267184586_6si34162 00pxi.53/

remote end accepted message.

> messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0

> Why?

Remote smtp server is not working correctly or spamfilter on it kills message?

No.*

Note that it can take a bit time until gmail delivers it to mailbox.

Gmail's very quick and it's been an hour now. Usually takes a second.Another very strange thing about this is that the contact page refreshes to itself when I try to email (through the form elt). If I pull the email send stuff out of the script where the form goes, *it doesn't refresh to itself; rather, it prints what is written in the script to print.

With respect to Kai's suggestion I find a qmail list, I'm sorry to say there don't appear to be ANY discussion lists for ANY email servers that are active. I'm desperate to get this working.
TIA,Suzie

Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/26 Susan Day <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2010/2/26 Susan Day <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com>:
>> > Hi;
>> > The following message appears to have been sent, but in fact never does
>> > reach their destination:
>> >
>> > [root qmail-send]# tail current
>> >
>> > @400000004b87b3d3392cbddc new msg 97881462
>> >
>> > @400000004b87b3d3392cc5ac info msg 97881462: bytes 531 from
>> > <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com> qp 23629 uid 508
>> >
>> > @400000004b87b3d33b7f700c starting delivery 4: msg 97881462 to remote
>> > suzieprogrammer@gmail.com
>> >
>> > @400000004b87b3d33b7f7bc4 status: local 0/10 remote 1/255
>> >
>> > @400000004b87b3d4338aec64 delivery 4: success:
>> >
>> > 209.85.216.35_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_2.0.0_OK_1267184586_6si34162 00pxi.53/
>>
>> remote end accepted message.
>>
>> > messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0
>> >
>> > Why?
>>

>> Remote smtp server is not working correctly or spamfilter on it kills
>> message?
>
> No.
>>
>> Note that it can take a bit time until gmail delivers it to mailbox.
>
> Gmail's very quick and it's been an hour now. Usually takes a second.
> Another very strange thing about this is that the contact page refreshes to
> itself when I try to email (through the form elt). If I pull the email send
> stuff out of the script where the form goes, *it doesn't refresh to itself;
> rather, it prints what is written in the script to print.
> With respect to Kai's suggestion I find a qmail list, I'm sorry to say there
> don't appear to be ANY discussion lists for ANY email servers that are
> active. I'm desperate to get this working.
> TIA,
> Suzie

qmail is very old and not under development anymore. You should
migrate your system to postfix.
(if topic is unfamiliar, please use consult to perform this migration)

--
Eero,
RHCE

Old 02-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Susan Day

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:

qmail is very old and not under development anymore. You should

migrate your system to postfix.

postfix isn't supported either. At least I have some experience with qmail.Susan