Old 02-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Susan Day

Default Email Problem

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Ross Walker <rswwalker@gmail.com> wrote:

On Feb 26, 2010, at 9:34 AM, Susan Day <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com> wrote:

I've not done this before. Here's what I did. Please see if this looks correct:
[root]# telnet mail.mydomain.com 25

Trying 209.216.9.56...Connected to mail.mydomain.com.Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.mydomain.com ESMTP
HELO mail.mydomain.com250 mail.mydomain.com
MAIL FROM suzie@mydomain.com
250 okRCPT TO suzieprogrammer@gmail.com250 okDATA testing
354 go ahead.250 ok 1267194591 qp 11432
quit221 mail.mydomain.comConnection closed by foreign host.[root]#*

You didn't create a body to your email!
The proper way to send an email through SMTP is:
DATA354 go aheadFrom: "Susan Day" <suzie@mydomain.com>
To: "Susan Day" <susieprogrammer@gmail.com>Subject: Test
This is a test only a test.
.250 ok 1267194591 qp 11432quit
Well I tried again and no it didn't come through.TIA,Susan

Old 02-26-2010, 03:05 PM
"Simon Billis"

Hi Sue,

> From: Susan Day <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com>
>> [root]# telnet mail.mydomain.com 25
>> Trying 209.216.9.56...
>> Connected to mail.mydomain.com.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> 220 mail.mydomain.com ESMTP
>> HELO mail.mydomain.com
>> 250 mail.mydomain.com
>> MAIL FROM suzie@mydomain.com
>> 250 ok
>> RCPT TO suzieprogrammer@gmail.com
>> 250 ok
>> DATA testing
>> 354 go ahead
>> .
>> 250 ok 1267194591 qp 11432
>>> quit
>> 221 mail.mydomain.com
>> Connection closed by foreign host.
>> [root]#
>> I didn't receive any message. Time for domainkeys?
>
> Hum... maybe Google checks if the reverse dns matches...
> Or maybe check http://www.openspf.org/SPF_Record_Syntax
>
> JD

>From earlier posts you will have seen that you need to create the headers
correctly in the body part of the email (just after you entered in DATA).
Also do not spoof the domain in the helo portion either.... your email MUST
be valid in every way or it WILL be discarded by the anti-spam measures.
Also if you continue to send "spam" to their servers you WILL become black
listed and then even legitimate email will not be delivered.

If you implement SPF make sure that you get it right or your mail will be
blocked.... there are plenty of spf checkers out there.

Finally, I would not send mail to service providers like hotmail or google
until I had my script emailing my local domain correctly.... at least when
you send mail to your localdomain, you're in control of the reception as
well as the transmission.

Good luck

Simon.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Suzie wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Ross Walker <rswwalker@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 26, 2010, at 9:34 AM, Susan Day <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I've not done this before. Here's what I did. Please see if this looks
>> correct:
<snip>

>> You didn't create a body to your email!
>>
>> The proper way to send an email through SMTP is:
>>
>> DATA
>> 354 go ahead
>> From: "Susan Day" <suzie@mydomain.com>
>> To: "Susan Day" <susieprogrammer@gmail.com>
>> Subject: Test
>>
>> This is a test only a test.
>> .
>> 250 ok 1267194591 qp 11432
>> quit
>>
> Well I tried again and no it didn't come through.

And it's not showing when you log into gmail? Then as I said, you need to
contact gmail support.

mark

Old 02-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann

On 26/02/2010 15:32, Brian Mathis wrote:
> Welcome to the second decade of the 21st century. We may not have flying
> cars or found the monolith on the moon yet, but at least we can have
> italics. If your mail reader can't handle it, get a new one that can.

Hahahaha. I don't even have X, please can you suggest a mail reader?

--
Hoffmann Geerd-Dietger
http://contact.ribalba.de

Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Benjamin Franz

Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann wrote:
> On 26/02/2010 15:32, Brian Mathis wrote:
>
>> Welcome to the second decade of the 21st century. We may not have flying
>> cars or found the monolith on the moon yet, but at least we can have
>> italics. If your mail reader can't handle it, get a new one that can.
>>

> Hahahaha. I don't even have X, please can you suggest a mail reader?

That's strange. Your mail headers say that not only do you have a
graphical email client, you are specifically using Thunderbird 3.0.2 to
read email. Which since I use it myself, I know displays HTML emails
just fine.

rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100216 Thunderbird/3.0.2

--
Benjamin Franz

Old 02-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Christopher Chan

On Saturday, February 27, 2010 06:46 AM, Benjamin Franz wrote:
> Geerd-Dietger Hoffmann wrote:
>> On 26/02/2010 15:32, Brian Mathis wrote:
>>
>>> Welcome to the second decade of the 21st century. We may not have flying
>>> cars or found the monolith on the moon yet, but at least we can have
>>> italics. If your mail reader can't handle it, get a new one that can.
>>>

>> Hahahaha. I don't even have X, please can you suggest a mail reader?
>>
> That's strange. Your mail headers say that not only do you have a
> graphical email client, you are specifically using Thunderbird 3.0.2 to
> read email. Which since I use it myself, I know displays HTML emails
> just fine.

> rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100216 Thunderbird/3.0.2

You know, technically, he is right. Unless he installed X, he really
does not have X on his Mac OS X box. Thunderbird on Mac OS X is not
compiled against X.

He is just having some fun.