Old 02-26-2010, 12:51 PM
"Simon Billis"

Default Email Problem

Dear Susan,

Susan Day sent a missive on*2010-02-26:

> Here's my question
> again:
>
> The following message appears to have been sent, but in fact never
> does reach their destination:

That's not a correct statement - your email does reach google as can be seen
from your qmail log

> [root qmail-send]# tail current
>
> @400000004b87b3d3392cbddc new msg 97881462
>
> @400000004b87b3d3392cc5ac info msg 97881462: bytes 531 from
> <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com> qp 23629 uid 508
>
> @400000004b87b3d33b7f700c starting delivery 4: msg 97881462 to
> remotesuzieprogrammer@gmail.com
>
> @400000004b87b3d33b7f7bc4 status: local 0/10 remote 1/255
>
> @400000004b87b3d4338aec64 delivery 4: success:
> 209.85.216.35_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_2.0.0_OK_1267184
> 5 86_6si3416200pxi.53/

This ip address is google's and the remote host accepted the mail.

whois 209.85.216.35
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[whois.arin.net]
OrgName: Google Inc.

> @400000004b87b3d4338af434 status: local 0/10 remote 0/255
>
> @400000004b87b3d4338d4dc4 end msg 97881462

<<SNIP>>

> Why?

That is a good question - I "guess" that google's email system thinks you're
sending them spam. If you want your mail to be accepted you may need to have
implemented SPF and domainkeys. Also I think that if you are using a script
to generate the email then ensure that you are creating the required headers
and that your mail conforms to the rfc.

You can also try to send mail to your google address by hand i.e. telnet to
google's mail platform on port 25 and mimic the smtp conversation by hand to
see if you can get any further....

HTH

Simon.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Chan Chung Hang Christopher

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Susan Day wrote on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:25:38 -0400:
>
>> Sorry, but this has NOT been my experience. I just tried that list
>> __last_week__ and __no__ responses, no activity, either.
>
> Maybe that's because of the nature of your questions. I get the impression
> that you are mostly asking very basic questions that a sysadmin *should*
> know or at least know how to google them up. I get the impression that you
> are not trying hard enough to understand your software. You cannot just
> throw any problem you encounter at the next list you find. For your last
> two questions (about the python script and this one which also seems to be
> related to a script you wrote or use) I get the impression that in both
> cases you simply may have bugs in the code or use it incorrectly. These
> are then not questions for a mailing list about the MTA nor for this list,
> but problems with your code and it might be more helpful to ask on a
> mailing list/newsgroup for coders of that language.

Give her a break. Programmers always have a hard time picking up on the
system admin side of things. I have had my fights with programmers.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:23 PM

> Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> Susan Day wrote on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:25:38 -0400:
>>
>>> Sorry, but this has NOT been my experience. I just tried that list
>>> __last_week__ and __no__ responses, no activity, either.
>>
>> Maybe that's because of the nature of your questions. I get the
>> impression that you are mostly asking very basic questions that a
>> sysadmin *should* know or at least know how to google them up. I get the
<snip>
> Give her a break. Programmers always have a hard time picking up on the
> system admin side of things. I have had my fights with programmers.

I agree. I've spent a good bit more of my career as a programmer than as a
sysadmin, and in both cases, I expect the system software to *work* as
expected, and when it doesn't, I find it tends to be truly obscure errors
that senior admins scratch their heads over.

mark

Old 02-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Susan Day

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com> wrote:

> Why?

That is a good question - I "guess" that google's email system thinks you're

sending them spam. If you want your mail to be accepted you may need to have

implemented SPF and domainkeys.
Oh, lovely. As if I didn't have enough work to do...Thanks, google.*
You can also try to send mail to your google address by hand i.e. telnet to

google's mail platform on port 25 and mimic the smtp conversation by hand to

see if you can get any further....

I've not done this before. Here's what I did. Please see if this looks correct:
[root]# telnet mail.mydomain.com 25
Trying 209.216.9.56...Connected to mail.mydomain.com.Escape character is '^]'.220 mail.mydomain.com ESMTP
HELO mail.mydomain.com250 mail.mydomain.comMAIL FROM suzie@mydomain.com
250 okRCPT TO suzieprogrammer@gmail.com250 okDATA testing354 go ahead.250 ok 1267194591 qp 11432
quit221 mail.mydomain.comConnection closed by foreign host.[root]#*
I didn't receive any message. Time for domainkeys?
TIA,Susan

Old 02-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Susan Day

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Susan Day <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Simon Billis <simon@houxou.com> wrote:

> Why?

That is a good question - I "guess" that google's email system thinks you're

sending them spam. If you want your mail to be accepted you may need to have

implemented SPF and domainkeys.
Oh, lovely. As if I didn't have enough work to do...Thanks, google.*

You can also try to send mail to your google address by hand i.e. telnet to

google's mail platform on port 25 and mimic the smtp conversation by hand to

see if you can get any further....

I've not done this before. Here's what I did. Please see if this looks correct:
[root]# telnet mail.mydomain.com 25

Trying 209.216.9.56...Connected to mail.mydomain.com.Escape character is '^]'.220 mail.mydomain.com ESMTP

HELO mail.mydomain.com250 mail.mydomain.comMAIL FROM suzie@mydomain.com

250 okRCPT TO suzieprogrammer@gmail.com250 okDATA testing354 go ahead.250 ok 1267194591 qp 11432

quit221 mail.mydomain.comConnection closed by foreign host.[root]#*
I didn't receive any message. Time for domainkeys?

TIA,Susan

PS. These emails never reach my spam box, either!

Old 02-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/2/26 Susan Day <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Susan Day <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> That is a good question - I "guess" that google's email system thinks
>>> you're
>>> sending them spam. If you want your mail to be accepted you may need to
>>> have
>>> implemented SPF and domainkeys.
>>
>> Oh, lovely. As if I didn't have enough work to do...Thanks, google.
>>

>>> You can also try to send mail to your google address by hand i.e. telnet
>>> google's mail platform on port 25 and mimic the smtp conversation by hand
>>> see if you can get any further....
>>
>> I've not done this before. Here's what I did. Please see if this looks
>> correct:
>> [root]# telnet mail.mydomain.com 25
>> Trying 209.216.9.56...
>> Connected to mail.mydomain.com.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> 220 mail.mydomain.com ESMTP
>> HELO mail.mydomain.com
>> 250 mail.mydomain.com
>> MAIL FROM suzie@mydomain.com
>> 250 ok
>> RCPT TO suzieprogrammer@gmail.com
>> 250 ok
>> DATA testing
>> 354 go ahead
>> .
>> 250 ok 1267194591 qp 11432
>> quit
>> 221 mail.mydomain.com
>> Connection closed by foreign host.
>> [root]#
>> I didn't receive any message. Time for domainkeys?
>> TIA,
>> Susan
>
> PS. These emails never reach my spam box, either!

Well. Gmail can kill this kind of test messages and messages that look
like spam.
(messages with incorrect headers and so)

--
Eero

Old 02-26-2010, 01:57 PM

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Susan Day
> <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com>wrote:

>>> That is a good question - I "guess" that google's email system thinks
>>> you're sending them spam. If you want your mail to be accepted you may
>>> need to have implemented SPF and domainkeys.
>>
>> Oh, lovely. As if I didn't have enough work to do...Thanks, google.
>>
>>> You can also try to send mail to your google address by hand i.e.
>>> telnet to google's mail platform on port 25 and mimic the smtp
>>> conversation by hand to see if you can get any further....
>>
>> I've not done this before. Here's what I did. Please see if this looks
>> correct:

<snip>
> PS. These emails never reach my spam box, either!

I'm not really up on it, but it looks good to me. At this point, it
*looks* like it's in google's ballpark, Suzie. Time to contact their
support, and ask wtfo.

mark

Old 02-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Susan Day

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Susan Day

> <suzieprogrammer@gmail.com>wrote:

>>> That is a good question - I "guess" that google's email system thinks

>>> you're sending them spam. If you want your mail to be accepted you may

>>> need to have implemented SPF and domainkeys.

>> Oh, lovely. As if I didn't have enough work to do...Thanks, google.

>>> You can also try to send mail to your google address by hand i.e.

>>> telnet to google's mail platform on port 25 and mimic the smtp

>>> conversation by hand to see if you can get any further....

>> I've not done this before. Here's what I did. Please see if this looks

>> correct:

<snip>

> PS. These emails never reach my spam box, either!

I'm not really up on it, but it looks good to me. At this point, it

*looks* like it's in google's ballpark, Suzie. Time to contact their

support, and ask wtfo.

Thanks, allSuzie

Old 02-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Dominik Zyla

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 01:32:46PM +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Susan Day wrote on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:21:01 -0400:
>
> > [root qmail-send]# tail current
>
> Hello, I would appreciate if you could stop to send all your software
> problems to this list. Most of your problems seem to be qmail-related,
> please go to a qmail list for these. Thanks.
>
> Kai

And please, stop send mails with html encoding.

--
Dominik Zyla

Old 02-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:01:28 +0800:

> Programmers always have a hard time picking up on the
> system admin side of things.

Still they should be able to find the best avenue for their questions, or
not?

Kai