Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 PM
andy baxter

Default saving flv files streamed over rtmp

hello,

is there a way to save flv files that are streamed using rtmp? I want to
record a flash video that is being streamed in this way, but can't see a
way to do it in linux. There seem to be solutions for windows, so there
must be a way of doing it. Mplayer won't play these streams, which is
what I tried first.

Also I've heard that safari for Mac OSX will let you do this somehow -
can you run this in linux?

andy

Old 07-26-2008, 10:18 PM
NoOp

On 07/26/2008 03:09 PM, andy baxter wrote:
> hello,
>
> is there a way to save flv files that are streamed using rtmp? I want to
> record a flash video that is being streamed in this way, but can't see a
> way to do it in linux. There seem to be solutions for windows, so there
> must be a way of doing it. Mplayer won't play these streams, which is
> what I tried first.
>
> Also I've heard that safari for Mac OSX will let you do this somehow -
> can you run this in linux?
>
> andy

As the flv is being streamed look in your /tmp directory, you will see
the stream file being created on the fly. When the stream is finished,
do not close the player that you are using to view the stream. Now copy
the file from the tmp directory to one on your home directory. Now you
can close the player/viewer. You now have a full copy of the stream in
flv format.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:24 PM
NoOp

On 07/26/2008 03:18 PM, NoOp wrote:

> As the flv is being streamed look in your /tmp directory, you will see
> the stream file being created on the fly. When the stream is finished,
> do not close the player that you are using to view the stream. Now copy
> the file from the tmp directory to one on your home directory. Now you
> can close the player/viewer. You now have a full copy of the stream in
> flv format.

Sorry, forgot. Also check out the archives for the thread: "how to save
streaming real media" and you'll find more detailed instructions.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Sven

On 07/27/2008 12:09 AM, andy baxter wrote:
> hello,

Hi Andy

> is there a way to save flv files that are streamed using rtmp? I want to
> record a flash video that is being streamed in this way, but can't see a
> way to do it in linux. There seem to be solutions for windows, so there
> must be a way of doing it. Mplayer won't play these streams, which is
> what I tried first.

Through Google I found an interesting thread on Linuxquestions[0] about
your problem.

In summary you need to install a Windows software and run it in Wine
emulation. There seems to be no other way.

=== Wikipedia ===
Orbit Downloader is a free, closed source, graphical download manager
for the Microsoft Windows operating system. One of the main features of
the program is its ability to grab and download embedded Flash Video
files from sites like YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe etc. Orbit
Downloader also accelerates downloads by acting as a peer-to-peer
client, utilising bandwidth of other users.

Orbit Downloader supports the following protocols:

* HTTP
* HTTPS
* FTP
* Metalink
* RTSP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol)
* PNM (rename PNM to RTSP)
* MMS (Microsoft Media Services)
* NSS (rename NetShow Services to MMS)
* RTMP (Real Time Messaging Protocol)

Other people run successful Orbit Downloader in Wine (see Wine AppDB[1])

[...]
> andy

regards
Sven

[0]
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/saving-a-streaming-flash-movie-591873/
[1] http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=11550

Old 07-26-2008, 11:10 PM
andy baxter

NoOp wrote:
> On 07/26/2008 03:09 PM, andy baxter wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> is there a way to save flv files that are streamed using rtmp? I want to
>> record a flash video that is being streamed in this way, but can't see a
>> way to do it in linux. There seem to be solutions for windows, so there
>> must be a way of doing it. Mplayer won't play these streams, which is
>> what I tried first.
>>
>> Also I've heard that safari for Mac OSX will let you do this somehow -
>> can you run this in linux?
>>
>> andy
>>

> As the flv is being streamed look in your /tmp directory, you will see
> the stream file being created on the fly. When the stream is finished,
> do not close the player that you are using to view the stream. Now copy
> the file from the tmp directory to one on your home directory. Now you
> can close the player/viewer. You now have a full copy of the stream in
> flv format.

I just tried this, first looking in /tmp and then using 'find /local
-cmin -1'. (/local has all my local data including home dirs on it).
find throws up a couple of files in ~/.macromedia, but none of them look
remotely like a flash video (too short for a start). So it looks like
the file is not being recorded to disk.

Will try the wine solution and report back.

andy.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:42 PM
NoOp

On 07/26/2008 04:10 PM, andy baxter wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 07/26/2008 03:09 PM, andy baxter wrote:
>>
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> is there a way to save flv files that are streamed using rtmp? I want to
>>> record a flash video that is being streamed in this way, but can't see a
>>> way to do it in linux. There seem to be solutions for windows, so there
>>> must be a way of doing it. Mplayer won't play these streams, which is
>>> what I tried first.
>>>
>>> Also I've heard that safari for Mac OSX will let you do this somehow -
>>> can you run this in linux?
>>>
>>> andy
>>>

>> As the flv is being streamed look in your /tmp directory, you will see
>> the stream file being created on the fly. When the stream is finished,
>> do not close the player that you are using to view the stream. Now copy
>> the file from the tmp directory to one on your home directory. Now you
>> can close the player/viewer. You now have a full copy of the stream in
>> flv format.
>>

> I just tried this, first looking in /tmp and then using 'find /local
> -cmin -1'. (/local has all my local data including home dirs on it).
> find throws up a couple of files in ~/.macromedia, but none of them look
> remotely like a flash video (too short for a start). So it looks like
> the file is not being recorded to disk.
>
> Will try the wine solution and report back.
>
> andy.

Keep in mind that the file will disappear from /tmp as soon as the
stream is closed. Do you have a particular flv url & perhaps I can test/try?

Old 07-27-2008, 02:28 AM
andy baxter

Sven wrote:
> On 07/27/2008 12:09 AM, andy baxter wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>

> Hi Andy
>

>> is there a way to save flv files that are streamed using rtmp? I want to
>> record a flash video that is being streamed in this way, but can't see a
>> way to do it in linux. There seem to be solutions for windows, so there
>> must be a way of doing it. Mplayer won't play these streams, which is
>> what I tried first.
>>

> Through Google I found an interesting thread on Linuxquestions[0] about
> your problem.
>
> In summary you need to install a Windows software and run it in Wine
> emulation. There seems to be no other way.
>
> === Wikipedia ===
> Orbit Downloader is a free, closed source, graphical download manager
> for the Microsoft Windows operating system. One of the main features of
> the program is its ability to grab and download embedded Flash Video
> files from sites like YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe etc. Orbit
> Downloader also accelerates downloads by acting as a peer-to-peer
> client, utilising bandwidth of other users.
>
> Orbit Downloader supports the following protocols:
>
> * HTTP
> * HTTPS
> * FTP
> * Metalink
> * RTSP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol)
> * PNM (rename PNM to RTSP)
> * MMS (Microsoft Media Services)
> * NSS (rename NetShow Services to MMS)
> * RTMP (Real Time Messaging Protocol)
>
> Other people run successful Orbit Downloader in Wine (see Wine AppDB[1])

Thanks for the advice. I have tried this first by sniffing the stream
using wireshark and looking for the rtmp url being requested, then
trying to download this directly in orbit downloader. This doesn't work
- the server rejects the connection saying 'access denied'.

I also tried installing the windows versions of firefox and flash inside
wine, and running wine firefox at the same time as orbit 'grab it' which
is supposed to detect rtmp urls as they are streamed (and apparently
does work for the site I'm interested in in windows). I started playing
the video in firefox and nothing appeared in the 'grab it' window, so
this approach doesn't seem to work either.

A couple of things occurred to me about the second approach:

- there could be a problem in that I started the two programs (grab it
and firefox for windows) in separate wine invocations. However only one
instance of wineserver is started, so this is probably not the problem.
- also, I've noticed that the only way to get wireshark to sniff eth0 is
by starting it as root, so maybe I need to change some permissions
somewhere to allow ordinary users to do this, which may make grab it
work properly as well?

andy

Old 07-27-2008, 03:45 AM
NoOp

On 07/26/2008 07:28 PM, andy baxter wrote:

> Thanks for the advice. I have tried this first by sniffing the stream
> using wireshark and looking for the rtmp url being requested, then
> trying to download this directly in orbit downloader. This doesn't work
> - the server rejects the connection saying 'access denied'.

Um... just what is the url?

Old 07-27-2008, 05:25 AM
andy baxter

NoOp wrote:
> On 07/26/2008 07:28 PM, andy baxter wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the advice. I have tried this first by sniffing the stream
>> using wireshark and looking for the rtmp url being requested, then
>> trying to download this directly in orbit downloader. This doesn't work
>> - the server rejects the connection saying 'access denied'.
>>

> Um... just what is the url?

This is one of the ones I've tried:

rtmp://84.53.177.143:1935/ondemand?_fcs_vhost=cp41752.edgefcs.net&auth=daEba bubYcvcCadcMaWbKdVaXaGa2dBdhbM-biI_El-cCp-BolEApxpNBqGvwK&aifp=v001&slist=secure/b000cpsql-streaming86639741

it's not working even though the video plays fine in the embedded player.

The log from orbit looks like this:

2008-07-27 06:21:18 Connecting 84.53.177.143:1935
2008-07-27 06:21:18 Connected
2008-07-27 06:21:18 _error:
2008-07-27 06:21:18 description=[ AccessManager.Reject ] : Access denied!
2008-07-27 06:21:18 code=NetConnection.Connect.Rejected
2008-07-27 06:21:18 level=error
2008-07-27 06:21:18 Wait for retry(5S)
2008-07-27 06:21:18 close:
2008-07-27 06:21:23 Connecting 84.53.177.143:1935
2008-07-27 06:21:23 Connected
2008-07-27 06:21:24 _error:
2008-07-27 06:21:24 description=[ AccessManager.Reject ] : Access denied!
2008-07-27 06:21:24 code=NetConnection.Connect.Rejected
2008-07-27 06:21:24 level=error
2008-07-27 06:21:24 Wait for retry(5S)
2008-07-27 06:21:29 Connecting 84.53.177.143:1935
2008-07-27 06:21:29 Connected
2008-07-27 06:21:29 _error:
2008-07-27 06:21:29 description=[ AccessManager.Reject ] : Access denied!
2008-07-27 06:21:29 code=NetConnection.Connect.Rejected
2008-07-27 06:21:29 level=error
2008-07-27 06:21:29 Wait for retry(5S)
2008-07-27 06:21:29 close:
2008-07-27 06:21:34 Connecting 84.53.177.143:1935
2008-07-27 06:21:34 Connected
2008-07-27 06:21:34 _error:
2008-07-27 06:21:34 description=[ AccessManager.Reject ] : Access denied!
2008-07-27 06:21:34 code=NetConnection.Connect.Rejected
2008-07-27 06:21:34 level=error
2008-07-27 06:21:34 Wait for retry(5S)
2008-07-27 06:21:34 close:
2008-07-27 06:21:39 Connecting 84.53.177.143:1935
2008-07-27 06:21:39 Connected
2008-07-27 06:21:39 _error:
2008-07-27 06:21:39 description=[ AccessManager.Reject ] : Access denied!
2008-07-27 06:21:39 code=NetConnection.Connect.Rejected
2008-07-27 06:21:39 level=error
2008-07-27 06:21:39 Wait for retry(5S)
2008-07-27 06:21:39 close:
2008-07-27 06:21:43 Stop downloading by user

What I'm guessing is that the auth string is valid for one use only, and
after that it's rejected by the server.

andy

Old 07-27-2008, 06:30 AM
andy baxter

andy baxter wrote:
> hello,
>
> is there a way to save flv files that are streamed using rtmp? I want to
> record a flash video that is being streamed in this way, but can't see a
> way to do it in linux. There seem to be solutions for windows, so there
> must be a way of doing it. Mplayer won't play these streams, which is
> what I tried first.
>
> Also I've heard that safari for Mac OSX will let you do this somehow -
> can you run this in linux?
>
> andy

Just found this blog post which has some relevant links:

http://philwilson.org/blog/2007/12/downloading-from-the-bbc-streaming-iplayer-is-hard