Old 07-27-2008, 06:46 AM
NoOp

Default saving flv files streamed over rtmp

On 07/26/2008 10:25 PM, andy baxter wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 07/26/2008 07:28 PM, andy baxter wrote:
>>

>>> Thanks for the advice. I have tried this first by sniffing the stream
>>> using wireshark and looking for the rtmp url being requested, then
>>> trying to download this directly in orbit downloader. This doesn't work
>>> - the server rejects the connection saying 'access denied'.
>>>

>> Um... just what is the url?
>>

> This is one of the ones I've tried:
>
> rtmp://84.53.177.143:1935/ondemand?_fcs_vhost=cp41752.edgefcs.net&auth=daEba bubYcvcCadcMaWbKdVaXaGa2dBdhbM-biI_El-cCp-BolEApxpNBqGvwK&aifp=v001&slist=secure/b000cpsql-streaming86639741

The IP is an Akamai IP and edgefcs.net is also an Akamai host, meaning
that it's being served up via Akamai and may change IP's on a regular
basis. In order to help you, you will need to give me a valid link to
the flv that you are trying to download/use. You can send it privately
if you wish, but the above rtmp link isn't useful.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:46 AM
andy baxter

andy baxter wrote:
> hello,
>
> is there a way to save flv files that are streamed using rtmp? I want to
> record a flash video that is being streamed in this way, but can't see a
> way to do it in linux. There seem to be solutions for windows, so there
> must be a way of doing it. Mplayer won't play these streams, which is
> what I tried first.
>
> Also I've heard that safari for Mac OSX will let you do this somehow -
> can you run this in linux?
>
> andy

I've found that you can do this in windows quite easily using orbit
download manager. (Thanks to Sven for the reference to this.) I'm happy
with this solution for the time being, though I would still like to find
a linux only solution if possible.

andy

Old 07-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Sven

On 07/27/2008 01:46 PM, andy baxter wrote:
> I've found that you can do this in windows quite easily using orbit
> download manager. (Thanks to Sven for the reference to this.) I'm happy
> with this solution for the time being, though I would still like to find
> a linux only solution if possible.

Hi Andy

glad I could help you :-)

Can you point me to example sites where they stream over RTMP the FLV
format? So I can search and experiment further.

> andy

regards
Sven

Old 07-27-2008, 12:21 PM
andy baxter

Sven wrote:
> On 07/27/2008 01:46 PM, andy baxter wrote:
>
>> I've found that you can do this in windows quite easily using orbit
>> download manager. (Thanks to Sven for the reference to this.) I'm happy
>> with this solution for the time being, though I would still like to find
>> a linux only solution if possible.
>>

> Hi Andy
>
> glad I could help you :-)
>
> Can you point me to example sites where they stream over RTMP the FLV
> format? So I can search and experiment further.

See the blog post I linked to before. This thread might also be worth
digging through:

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27063

apparently the gnash-devel mailing list is a good place to talk about
these issues.

andy

Old 07-27-2008, 06:54 PM
"David Fox"

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 3:18 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> As the flv is being streamed look in your /tmp directory, you will see
> the stream file being created on the fly. When the stream is finished,

That approached worked for me when I wanted to save the Star Trek "Of
Gods and Men" fan episode (link may stiill be on
startreknewvoyages.com). While I was watching the episode, I noticed a
rather large file filling up in /tmp and when the episode completed,
and before I tried to stream the next part, I copied that tmp file
over and voila a valid flv file that I could turn to mpeg2 for dvd
archiving with tovid.

In the past, I have used vlc to do this, but if that step isn't
necessary, so be it.

But you might try using vlc, as it's worked for me for some things
(also star trek videos).

Old 07-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Spruil

NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:g6gcou$1hb$1@ger.gmane.org:

> Keep in mind that the file will disappear from /tmp as soon as the
> stream is closed. Do you have a particular flv url & perhaps I can
> test/try?

I notice you're in the uk so I'm going to take a wild guess you may be
trying to save the BBC iplayer flv files.

If this is the case, I have noticed that since the recent revamp it it
really hard to save these files. They are playing really clever now.

If this isn't what you're trying please disregard my post

Old 07-27-2008, 09:19 PM
andy baxter

Spruil wrote:
> NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:g6gcou$1hb$1@ger.gmane.org:
>

>> Keep in mind that the file will disappear from /tmp as soon as the
>> stream is closed. Do you have a particular flv url & perhaps I can
>> test/try?
>>

> I notice you're in the uk so I'm going to take a wild guess you may be
> trying to save the BBC iplayer flv files.
>
> If this is the case, I have noticed that since the recent revamp it it
> really hard to save these files. They are playing really clever now.
>
> If this isn't what you're trying please disregard my post

Well yes that is what I'm trying to do - I was just a bit wary about
saying so explicitly on the list... But I think it's pretty obvious
anyway from what I've said already so never mind.

So far I've not had much luck at a linux solution, but have managed to
download the two files I am interested in at the moment using orbit
downloader in windows - this works pretty well.

If anyone knows of a better place to discuss stuff like this, it would
be good to know.

andy

Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 PM
gingerk

Hi Andy, I have a question related to the one you've asked...I personally use
Windows but am having the same trouble with Orbit in regards to saving
embedded flash streams over rtmp. It does the same thing that you mentioned
(many retries in a row and then just fails and says there's been an error).

The video I am trying to save is here:
http://www.ew.com/ew/video/festivals?bcpid=1378342280&bclid=1683773559&bctid= 1689589879

Since you seem to have sorted out the issue, hopefully you can help - how
exactly did you get around the problem with Orbit? How can I save this video
to my hard drive? Thanks so much!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:21 PM
andy baxter

gingerk wrote:
> Hi Andy, I have a question related to the one you've asked...I personally use
> Windows but am having the same trouble with Orbit in regards to saving
> embedded flash streams over rtmp. It does the same thing that you mentioned
> (many retries in a row and then just fails and says there's been an error).
>
> The video I am trying to save is here:
> http://www.ew.com/ew/video/festivals?bcpid=1378342280&bclid=1683773559&bctid= 1689589879
>
> Since you seem to have sorted out the issue, hopefully you can help - how
> exactly did you get around the problem with Orbit? How can I save this video
> to my hard drive? Thanks so much!

The error messages you saw were for my obviously flawed attempts to
extract a valid rtmp:// url from the data stream going to/from the bbc's
iplayer. When I switched to doing it in windows and using the 'grab it'
tool to get the url, it worked fine. Can't really help any more than that.

Hope this helps,

andy

Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 PM
gingerk

Hi Andy...for me, the "grab it" button does not show up for that particular
link. I feel like I've tried everything. Could I possibly trouble you to
give it a try? If it works for you, then perhaps I'm personally just doing
something wrong. But if you can't manage to save that video, then maybe it's
just not possible. If you're able to try it out and let me know for sure, I
would very much appreciate it...it's driving me crazy that this seems to be
the one video I can't capture, and of course it's one that I really, really
want :*)