Old 07-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Nigel Henry

Default HELP --- Install Question

On Saturday 26 July 2008 17:19, REINHARD KOEPP wrote:
> I am now useing Ubuntu 7.10 -- I have 3 op systems on 1 drive in a
> laptop -- I'd like to update to 8.04 -- If I update will 8.04
> leave the boot selector in place -- In other words will the update
> overwrite the current boot info / boot loader ????????
>
> RHK

Hi Reinhard. Which other operating systems are on the drive? And was Ubuntu GG
7.10 the latest one that you have installed. If so you will probably find
that Grub is in the MBR, which will be verified when you boot the machine, by
kernels to boot for GG being at the top of Grubs menu, and perhaps, if you
have MS Windows installed, the chainloaders for those are further down the
list.

Are you going to upgrade 7.10 to 8.04 online, or are you doing a fresh install
of Hardy Heron, which will overwrite the Gutsy Gibbon install?

As an example, I've recently built a new machine, and have installed a few
distros on it, including Kubuntu Breezy, and Gutsy Gibbon 7.10.

I have Breezy installed on another machine, and had upgraded it to Dapper, by
simply changing /etc/apt/sources.list to point to Dapper rather than Breezy,
resulted in, after an apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade, in Breezy
being updated to Dapper. The place where Grub was installed wasn't changed,
but a new kernel, the latest for Dapper was available on Grubs menu.

Doing the same procedure with upgrading Breezy to Dapper on the new machine,
gave the same results, with just another kernel being added to Grubs menu.

If you are doing a fresh install of Hardy Heron 8.04 from a burned cdrom, and
are going to overwrite the Gutsy Gibbon install, then you may have to be a
bit more carefull, and will have to know where you installed Grub when you
installed Gutsy Gibbon 7.10, but I'll wait for your reply before progressing
on that.

All the best.

Nigel.