Old 07-26-2008, 12:38 PM
"Rudi Ahlers"

Default how do I setup a Ubuntu domU on a Fedora Core 8 XEN server?

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for instructions on how to setup a Ubuntu domU XEN guest, on a
> Fedora Core 8 XEN server.

* *I am a long time Linux user but your request beats all. What is a

domU XEN guest?
*
XEN is a virtualization technology which allows you to run other OS's and distro's on the main OS - very similar to VMWare. Check out http://www.xen.org*for more info on it.

*

> Before you tell me to try the FC mailing list, I have asked on the CentOS
> mailing list already, and was reffered here.
* *Try the FC8 list. CentOS is not a development version.

CentOS is a development version, what gives you the idea it isn't?
Whether I use CentOS or Fedora Core doesn't make much difference in this instance. Both are Red Hat based, and the procedure would be the same. I use both, and just happen to have FC8 installed right now. Needless to say, the suggestion to come here will be the same, since Ubuntu is a debian based system, and differs quite a bit from the rpm based systems.

> *I got some nice tutorials on
> how to setup a Ubuntu XEN server, and then install the Ubuntu XEN guest, but
> that doesn't work on a different Linux distro.

* *Is that a surprise?
Why would it be a surprise? Have you setup any virtual servers before? Do you know how they operate?

> Can someone please direct me to a working tutorial on how to get it to work?

* *Nope.

Karl

--

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.
* PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 07-26-2008, 04:24 PM
"Victor Padro"

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for instructions on how to setup a Ubuntu domU XEN guest, on a
> Fedora Core 8 XEN server.

* *I am a long time Linux user but your request beats all. What is a

domU XEN guest?
*
XEN is a virtualization technology which allows you to run other OS's and distro's on the main OS - very similar to VMWare. Check out http://www.xen.org*for more info on it.

*

> Before you tell me to try the FC mailing list, I have asked on the CentOS
> mailing list already, and was reffered here.
* *Try the FC8 list. CentOS is not a development version.

CentOS is a development version, what gives you the idea it isn't?
Whether I use CentOS or Fedora Core doesn't make much difference in this instance. Both are Red Hat based, and the procedure would be the same. I use both, and just happen to have FC8 installed right now. Needless to say, the suggestion to come here will be the same, since Ubuntu is a debian based system, and differs quite a bit from the rpm based systems.

> *I got some nice tutorials on
> how to setup a Ubuntu XEN server, and then install the Ubuntu XEN guest, but
> that doesn't work on a different Linux distro.

* *Is that a surprise?
Why would it be a surprise? Have you setup any virtual servers before? Do you know how they operate?

> Can someone please direct me to a working tutorial on how to get it to work?

* *Nope.

Karl

--

* * * *Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
* * * *Linux User

* * * *#450462 * http://counter.li.org.
* PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C *ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Hello Rudi,

That's just Karl!

I sent you a link in the Centos mail list, I remember seeing something in http://www.howtoforge.com/ why don't you take a look there too?

see you.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 07-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Shizzle Cash

On Jul 26, 2008, at 7:08 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking for instructions on how to setup a Ubuntu domU XEN
guest, on a Fedora Core 8 XEN server.

Before you tell me to try the FC mailing list, I have asked on the
CentOS mailing list already, and was reffered here. I got some nice
tutorials on how to setup a Ubuntu XEN server, and then install the
Ubuntu XEN guest, but that doesn't work on a different Linux distro.

Can someone please direct me to a working tutorial on how to get it
to work?

Rudi,

I'm not sure if you've run across this yet, you might very-well have.
First off, without knowing exactly what problem you're having, there's
not much people can do for you on this list. I would guess that most
people in here haven't set-up a XEN system. I myself have not, but I
figured maybe I could at least help find a solution. I ran across
this link in the Ubuntu community wiki that, while it doesn't
specifically address your issue, it might point you in the right
direction. Actually I have 2 links for you.

The first is to an ubuntuforums post that I'm wondering if it is yours:

If not, it sounds like you're not the only one having issues using the
latest release as a DomU guest.

The second is the wiki link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen

The wiki link is more about using Ubuntu as the XEN host with others
as guests. However, I'm wondering if the problem lies in Ubuntu
needing to be tweaked a little to run under a Fedora DomU host. I
notice that in the "Stuff to check when converting a disk image to a
DomU" in the wiki, it mentions some specific things you have to do to
get Gentoo running on an Ubuntu host. I'm wondering if something
similar is needed for Ubuntu running on Fedora. While I know it's not
an "answer" I'm hoping it might at least be a pointer to a potential
solution.

The only other thing I can think of (and one that you've probably
already taken into account), is to make sure you're using the same
architectures for your host and guest OS (e.g. i386 and i386). I know
I've been bitten by silly stuff like that in the past. Since XEN is
kernel-based, I would think mis-matched architectures would be
problematic. Again, no offense intended by this, I just know I've
beaten my head over problems just to have the solution be something
really simple that should've been obvious to me, but for some reason
wasn't at the time.

Also, as far as Karl is concerned, he generally means well, but it
most cases the information or suggestions he gives are wrong.

I'm sorry I can't help further with this problem right now, but
hopefully this will maybe provide some thoughts that point you in the
right direction for a solution.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:02 PM
"Rudi Ahlers"

Hi

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Victor Padro <vpadro@gmail.com> wrote:

*Hello Rudi,

That's just Karl!

I sent you a link in the Centos mail list, I remember seeing something in http://www.howtoforge.com/ why don't you take a look there too?

see you.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Hi Victor,
*
I got your email thanx, just need to reply to it
*
I have looked at the howtoforge stuff, but they all have Ubuntu on Ubuntu / debian, not on CentOS / Fedora Core.
*
.deb & .rpm based system differ quite a bit, especially when it comes to the packages, the bootloader, and the installation method. So, this is a more difficult task than what I could imagine it to be.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 AM
"Rudi Ahlers"

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Shizzle Cash <shizzlecash@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jul 26, 2008, at 7:08 AM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

Hi all,

I'm looking for instructions on how to setup a Ubuntu domU XEN guest, on a Fedora Core 8 XEN server.

Before you tell me to try the FC mailing list, I have asked on the CentOS mailing list already, and was reffered here. I got some nice tutorials on how to setup a Ubuntu XEN server, and then install the Ubuntu XEN guest, but that doesn't work on a different Linux distro.

[...]

Ok, so I suppose no one really knows how to successfully setup Ubuntu as a XEN domU guest on CentOS or Fedora Core then?
--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Chris Cohen

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 08:47:06 Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> [...]
> > for your host and guest OS (e.g. i386 and i386). I know I've been bitten
> > by silly stuff like that in the past. Since XEN is kernel-based, I would
> > think mis-matched architectures would be problematic. Again, no offense
> > intended by this, I just know I've beaten my head over problems just to
> > have the solution be something really simple that should've been obvious
> > to me, but for some reason wasn't at the time.
> >
> > Also, as far as Karl is concerned, he generally means well, but it most
> > cases the information or suggestions he gives are wrong.
> >
> > I'm sorry I can't help further with this problem right now, but hopefully
> > this will maybe provide some thoughts that point you in the right
> > direction for a solution.
> >
> > --
>
> Ok, so I suppose no one really knows how to successfully setup Ubuntu as a
> XEN domU guest on CentOS or Fedora Core then?

Never used either of them, but heres what I would try:

does centos have xen-tools? Then... use xen-create-image with the appropriate
options, or if not... do it by hand... create a new lvm volume (or a disk
image using dd), then debootstrap ubuntu and set up a config file for xen.
Maxbe you'll have to fix some things that xen-create-image would have done for
you...

--
Just my 2
Chris

Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 AM
"Rudi Ahlers"

Thanx Chris,
*
I'm looking for someone who's actually done it before. CentOS doesn't have xen-tools, and CentOS (RH based distro's) is as far from Ubuntu (debian based distro's) as the East from the West.

*
If anyone know's how to actually do, please let me know.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:24 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:13 AM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanx Chris,
>
> I'm looking for someone who's actually done it before. CentOS doesn't have
> xen-tools, and CentOS (RH based distro's) is as far from Ubuntu (debian
> based distro's) as the East from the West.

Suggest you try the ubuntu-server list - more discussion of Xen,
virt-manager etc there...

Brian