Old 07-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Alan Milnes

Default Slightly OT - Posts not replied to

Is there an add-on for Thunderbird, or another email client, that will
let me instantly see what posts have not been replied to?

When I have a few minutes spare I like to browse back up the list for
such messages and see if I can answer them, or request more information.

Alan

Old 07-26-2008, 12:42 PM
"Rudi Ahlers"

View > Threads > Unread, if you have Threaded View enabled

Is there an add-on for Thunderbird, or another email client, that will
let me instantly see what posts have not been replied to?

When I have a few minutes spare I like to browse back up the list for
such messages and see if I can answer them, or request more information.

Alan

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Old 07-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Alan Milnes

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> View > Threads > Unread, if you have Threaded View enabled

Nice thought - perhaps I wasn't clear, I'm looking for threads that **no
one has replied to whether or not I've read them**. That view shows me
threads that have replies because I've not looked at them.

Alan

Old 07-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Karl Auer

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Alan Milnes wrote:
> Is there an add-on for Thunderbird, or another email client, that
> will let me instantly see what posts have not been replied to?

If you turn on the threads view in most email clients, then collapse the
threads, threads with no responses (i.e., single posts with no replies)
will be marked differently. Typically a post with replies will have a
button or widget of some sort to expand the thread with, whereas single
posts will not have such a widget. So you will still be able to see
posts that have been replied to, but you will also be able to tell them
apart from posts that have not been replied to. A partial solution?

Regards, K.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:02 PM
elmo

Alan Milnes wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Alan Milnes <deep64blue@itguru.org.uk
> > <mailto:deep64blue@itguru.org.uk>> wrote:
> >
> > Is there an add-on for Thunderbird, or another email client, that
> > will let me instantly see what posts have not been replied to?
>

> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> View > Threads > Unread, if you have Threaded View enabled
>>

> Nice thought - perhaps I wasn't clear, I'm looking for threads that **no
> one has replied to whether or not I've read them**. That view shows me
> threads that have replies because I've not looked at them.
>
> Alan

Why not try all the options under "Threads" and see which one
does what you want? You can always go back to what had originally.

elmo

Old 07-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Alan Milnes

elmo wrote:

> Why not try all the options under "Threads" and see which one
> does what you want? You can always go back to what had originally.

None of them do - that's why I wondered if anyone had come across anything.

Alan

Old 07-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Alan Milnes

Karl Auer wrote:

> If you turn on the threads view in most email clients, then collapse the
> threads, threads with no responses (i.e., single posts with no replies)
> will be marked differently. Typically a post with replies will have a
> button or widget of some sort to expand the thread with, whereas single
> posts will not have such a widget. So you will still be able to see
> posts that have been replied to, but you will also be able to tell them
> apart from posts that have not been replied to. A partial solution?

Thanks - that's how I do it at the moment, was just trying to filter out
the ones I'm not interested in.

Alan

Old 07-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Alan Milnes wrote:

> > On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Alan Milnes <deep64blue@itguru.org.uk
> > <mailto:deep64blue@itguru.org.uk>> wrote:
> >
> > Is there an add-on for Thunderbird, or another email client, that
> > will let me instantly see what posts have not been replied to?
>

> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> View > Threads > Unread, if you have Threaded View enabled
>
> Nice thought - perhaps I wasn't clear, I'm looking for threads that **no
> one has replied to whether or not I've read them**. That view shows me
> threads that have replies because I've not looked at them.

nice idea. You need to find all the posts whose message-id is not
referenced in any other post's In-Reply-To or References headers. It would
be handy, but I don't know of such a thing.
--
derek

Old 07-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Florian Diesch

Alan Milnes <deep64blue@itguru.org.uk> wrote:

> Is there an add-on for Thunderbird, or another email client, that will
> let me instantly see what posts have not been replied to?

Gnus can limit the display to articles that aren't part of any
displayed threads.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 07-26-2008, 09:55 PM
elmo

Alan Milnes wrote:
> Is there an add-on for Thunderbird, or another email client, that will
> let me instantly see what posts have not been replied to?
>
> When I have a few minutes spare I like to browse back up the list for
> such messages and see if I can answer them, or request more information.
>
> Alan

Try this----it displays all queries followed by their threads, the
latest appear at the top of the list which makes it much easier to read.

View>Sort by>Date or Order Received>Descending + Threaded

Then View>Threads>Expand all threads

If there are any posts that have no responders, they'll easily be seen.

Elmo