Old 07-26-2008, 10:03 PM
andy baxter

Default Slightly OT - Posts not replied to

Alan Milnes wrote:
> Is there an add-on for Thunderbird, or another email client, that will
> let me instantly see what posts have not been replied to?
>
> When I have a few minutes spare I like to browse back up the list for
> such messages and see if I can answer them, or request more information.
>
> Alan

You can nearly do this in thunderbird, but not quite - if you add the
'total' column to the list display, this shows the total number of
messages in the thread; unfortunately thunderbird won't let you sort on
this column at the moment, so it doesn't quite work. Maybe you could
submit a bug report asking them if they could add the ability to sort on
'total'?

andy.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:07 PM
"Caputo, Luke A SPC RES USAR"

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 23:03 +0100, andy baxter wrote:
> Alan Milnes wrote:
> > Is there an add-on for Thunderbird, or another email client, that will
> > let me instantly see what posts have not been replied to?
> >
> > When I have a few minutes spare I like to browse back up the list for
> > such messages and see if I can answer them, or request more information.
> >
> > Alan
> >

> You can nearly do this in thunderbird, but not quite - if you add the
> 'total' column to the list display, this shows the total number of
> messages in the thread; unfortunately thunderbird won't let you sort on
> this column at the moment, so it doesn't quite work. Maybe you could
> submit a bug report asking them if they could add the ability to sort on
> 'total'?
>
> andy.

umm, if you set it up in thread view, itll show which one hasnt had any
replies, because it wont be stacked. thread view follows the threads in
order of post. so, the last addition to the thread would be the last
post. and if there are no additions to the thread, noone replied.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:12 PM
andy baxter

Caputo, Luke A SPC RES USAR wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 23:03 +0100, andy baxter wrote:
>
>> Alan Milnes wrote:
>>
>>> Is there an add-on for Thunderbird, or another email client, that will
>>> let me instantly see what posts have not been replied to?
>>>
>>> When I have a few minutes spare I like to browse back up the list for
>>> such messages and see if I can answer them, or request more information.
>>>
>>> Alan
>>>

>> You can nearly do this in thunderbird, but not quite - if you add the
>> 'total' column to the list display, this shows the total number of
>> messages in the thread; unfortunately thunderbird won't let you sort on
>> this column at the moment, so it doesn't quite work. Maybe you could
>> submit a bug report asking them if they could add the ability to sort on
>> 'total'?
>>
>> andy.
>>

> umm, if you set it up in thread view, itll show which one hasnt had any
> replies, because it wont be stacked. thread view follows the threads in
> order of post. so, the last addition to the thread would be the last
> post. and if there are no additions to the thread, noone replied.

Yes, this has already been said, but as far as I can see, the OP wanted
a solution which shows all the recent threads with no replies together
in a list. If you do it your way you have to scroll down to look for
unstacked threads, but this isn't what the OP wants, I think.

andy

Old 07-26-2008, 10:17 PM
"Caputo, Luke A SPC RES USAR"

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 23:12 +0100, andy baxter wrote:
> Caputo, Luke A SPC RES USAR wrote:

> >> You can nearly do this in thunderbird, but not quite - if you add the
> >> 'total' column to the list display, this shows the total number of
> >> messages in the thread; unfortunately thunderbird won't let you sort on
> >> this column at the moment, so it doesn't quite work. Maybe you could
> >> submit a bug report asking them if they could add the ability to sort on
> >> 'total'?
> >>
> >> andy.
> >>

> > umm, if you set it up in thread view, itll show which one hasnt had any
> > replies, because it wont be stacked. thread view follows the threads in
> > order of post. so, the last addition to the thread would be the last
> > post. and if there are no additions to the thread, noone replied.
> >

> Yes, this has already been said, but as far as I can see, the OP wanted
> a solution which shows all the recent threads with no replies together
> in a list. If you do it your way you have to scroll down to look for
> unstacked threads, but this isn't what the OP wants, I think.
>
> andy

is he lazy?

Old 07-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Alan Milnes

Caputo, Luke A SPC RES USAR wrote:

>> Yes, this has already been said, but as far as I can see, the OP wanted
>> a solution which shows all the recent threads with no replies together
>> in a list. If you do it your way you have to scroll down to look for
>> unstacked threads, but this isn't what the OP wants, I think.
>>
>> andy
>>

> is he lazy?

Yes and no! I'm happy to work where needed but computers are good at
doing this sort of grunt work and I'm just trying to see if there's a
more efficient way of doing this.

Alan

Old 07-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Derek Broughton

Alan Milnes wrote:

> Caputo, Luke A SPC RES USAR wrote:
>
>>> Yes, this has already been said, but as far as I can see, the OP wanted
>>> a solution which shows all the recent threads with no replies together
>>> in a list. If you do it your way you have to scroll down to look for
>>> unstacked threads, but this isn't what the OP wants, I think.
>>>
>>> andy
>>>

>> is he lazy?
>
> Yes and no! I'm happy to work where needed but computers are good at
> doing this sort of grunt work and I'm just trying to see if there's a
> more efficient way of doing this.

And really, what's lazy got to do with it. I look at every single post on
this list - but if I know little or nothing about the subject, I may not
read it completely, let alone respond, and then I'll never go back to it.
However, a post that gets no responses _does_ get that little research
demon going, and sometimes I can be of more help than no help at all. But
having already seen the post once, I'm never going to see it again unless
there's some feature like you're asking for.
--
derek

Old 07-28-2008, 01:00 AM
elmo

Alan Milnes wrote:
> Is there an add-on for Thunderbird, or another email client, that will
> let me instantly see what posts have not been replied to?
>
> When I have a few minutes spare I like to browse back up the list for
> such messages and see if I can answer them, or request more information.
>
> Alan

Can you give an example or a more detailed description of what you
expect such an add-on to look like?

The response I gave displays all posts, both those with and those
without threads so it will be easy to see which have no replies.

elmo