Old 07-26-2008, 02:43 AM
Jerry Alber

Default User ID & Password

I am trying to use a live Ubuntu DVD (ubuntu 8.04 Sixpack) and after
choosing the language and "Try Ubuntu without any change to your
computer", I eventually get a request for a "User ID" and a "Password".

My machine is a multiboot with XP, Ubuntu Studio 7.10, Ubuntu Graphics
and Fedora 8. With a Live DVD, should I even be getting a request for a
User ID and Password? If so, then what might they be? I have tried
everything but to no avail. Is the installation DVD seeing something
that it interprets as me already having the above? I have used other
live CDs including Knoppix and Kubuntu and they don't ask for a an ID or
Password.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? If so, I certainly
could use some help with this.

I have tried the Ubuntu 8.04 Sixpack, Ubuntu 8.04 double sided DVD for
both 32 and 64 bit, the "official" Ubuntu 8.04 CD and downloaded a
Ubuntu 8.04 iso file, all with the same results of asking for a User ID
and a Password.

Thanks for your help,

Jerry

Old 07-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Alan Milnes

Jerry Alber wrote:
> I am trying to use a live Ubuntu DVD (ubuntu 8.04 Sixpack) and after
> choosing the language and "Try Ubuntu without any change to your
> computer", I eventually get a request for a "User ID" and a "Password".
>
> With a Live DVD, should I even be getting a request for a
> User ID and Password?

No you shouldn't - something very weird is going on. Do you have another
computer you can try one of these LiveCDs on to see if the same problem
persists?

Alan