Old 12-05-2007, 07:19 PM
"Jim Baldyga"

Default user name

Hi,
I'm a complete newbie at Ubuntu, and I set up a server about 9 months ago, and cannot for the life of me find the username and password.* I was able to get into GRUB and change my password, but I haven't quite figured out how to change the username?* Can you help.

The version I am using is desktop version 6.06

thanks -Jim

p.s. Sorry real bonehead move losing the information on my part, thought I would remember it.* Guess not.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Darren Mansell

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 15:19 -0500, Jim Baldyga wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a complete newbie at Ubuntu, and I set up a server about 9 months
> ago, and cannot for the life of me find the username and password. I
> was able to get into GRUB and change my password, but I haven't quite
> figured out how to change the username? Can you help.
>
> The version I am using is desktop version 6.06
>
> thanks -Jim
>
> p.s. Sorry real bonehead move losing the information on my part,
> thought I would remember it. Guess not.

Hi. The easiest way I can think of is to boot from a live CD, mount your
hard disk (sudo mount /dev/*da1 /mnt) then vi the /etc/passwd file.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Nils Kassube

Jim Baldyga wrote:
> I'm a complete newbie at Ubuntu, and I set up a server about 9 months
> ago, and cannot for the life of me find the username and password. I
> was able to get into GRUB and change my password, but I haven't quite
> figured out how to change the username? Can you help.

Boot into recovery mode - then you are logged in as root. Enter the
command:

cat /etc/passwd

There are all the usernames known to the system and some additional
information you don't need. From that file you should remember the
username. If you don't remember the password you can change it with this
command:

passwd username

It will ask for a new password for the user.

Nils

Old 12-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Aart Koelewijn

Op wo, 05-12-2007 te 15:19 -0500, schreef Jim Baldyga:
> Hi,
> I'm a complete newbie at Ubuntu, and I set up a server about 9 months
> ago, and cannot for the life of me find the username and password. I
> was able to get into GRUB and change my password, but I haven't quite
> figured out how to change the username? Can you help.
>
> The version I am using is desktop version 6.06
>
> thanks -Jim
>
> p.s. Sorry real bonehead move losing the information on my part,
> thought I would remember it. Guess not.

If you are able to boot your server from a live cd you can then mount
your root partition and look at /etc/passwd. There all your users are
listed, the one you want will have a id (third field) of 1000 or maybe
1001 or 1002

Good luck
Aart