Old 07-26-2008, 02:45 AM
"David Fox"

Default Compiling code

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Keith Clark <keithclark@k-wbookworm.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to compile some device drivers to no avail. All I get is a huge
> string of error codes each time. With a stock Ubuntu 8.04 install, does
> this allow a su to compile code?

In looking at the errors it would seem that you don't have the
kernel-headers package installed for the running kernel.

Of course, I could be wrong. One way to tell would be to look at some
of the driver source files, look at include statements and then
attempt to derive (via wajig whichpkg or other method) the package
that provides that header. By a process of elimination, you can bring
in all the needed packages. Unless something borks, then you don't
need to do that again to compile other sources, unless they have
headers that you don't have installed.

That's the approach I have taken when trying to compile things. Or you
could use build-dep and get the build dependencies that way (via an
apt command).

Old 07-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Keith Clark

David Fox wrote:

[...]

Holy cow! That is a lot of learning to do. All I wanted to do is
install a printer and an adapter!

I have no issues learning all of this, and one day I will, but for now I
just want my printer to work and all of the drivers are in source code.
What a pita this is!

I will keep learning I suppose.

Thanks for your help though, I don't want to sound ungrateful, just
exhausted!

Keith

Old 07-26-2008, 03:43 AM
Keith Clark

Keith Clark wrote:

David Fox wrote:
[...]

I've been googling around all night and all I find reference to are
problems with people in my very same situation.

Well, I'm out of ideas. I pulled my old XP laptop out and all works
with no issues there. I'll use that machine in production until I can
figure all this out.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to solving this problem in the
future.

Keith

Old 07-26-2008, 05:43 AM
"Verde Denim"

I'm not sure what language you are working with, so I'll assume 'C'.
sudo apt-get install build-essential (compiler, nake, etc)... Then try your code.

Jack

Old 07-26-2008, 05:45 AM
"Verde Denim"

Sorry - just saw the thread... The question is pretty generic...
What device drivers are you trying to compile ?

Old 07-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 22:52 -0400, Keith Clark wrote:
> All I wanted to do is
> install a printer and an adapter!
>
> I have no issues learning all of this, and one day I will, but for now
> I just want my printer to work and all of the drivers are in source
> code. What a pita this is!

I very much doubt that you have to compile anything to get a printer to
work. What printer model do you have and what did you try so far to make
it work? Where did you get that idea that you'd have to compile a
driver? Where did you download the source code for that?

In general, it helps to tell the mailing list what you are trying to
achieve: describe the goal, not the step:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#goal

Old 07-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Dax Solomon Umaming

On Saturday 26 July 2008 10:52:28 am Keith Clark wrote:
> Holy cow! That is a lot of learning to do. All I wanted to do is
> install a printer and an adapter!

See:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Printers
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/printing_ubuntu

--
Dax Solomon Umaming
http://blog.knightlust.com/

Old 07-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Keith Clark

Mario Vukelic wrote:

I have no issues learning all of this, and one day I will, but for now
I just want my printer to work and all of the drivers are in source
code. What a pita this is!

I very much doubt that you have to compile anything to get a printer to
work. What printer model do you have and what did you try so far to make
it work? Where did you get that idea that you'd have to compile a
driver? Where did you download the source code for that?

In general, it helps to tell the mailing list what you are trying to
achieve: describe the goal, not the step:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#goal

Mario,

It's a Star TSP600 Thermal Receipt Printer via Cable Unlimited USB 2.0
to RS232 Serial Adapter

Keith

Old 07-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Derek Broughton

Keith Clark wrote:

> I'm trying to compile some device drivers to no avail. All I get is a
> huge string of error codes each time. With a stock Ubuntu 8.04 install,
> does this allow a su to compile code?

Generally, in any version of Linux, you don't _compile_ as root.

You know the drill:
./configure
make
make install
you only need the last as root.

In any case, it would be a whole lot easier if you gave us the error
messages. As an enlightened guess, I'd suspect you need to
install "build-essentials"
--
derek

Old 07-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Karl Larsen

Keith Clark wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 22:52 -0400, Keith Clark wrote:
>>
>>> All I wanted to do is install a printer and an adapter!
>>>
>>> I have no issues learning all of this, and one day I will, but for now
>>> I just want my printer to work and all of the drivers are in source
>>> code. What a pita this is!
>>>

>> I very much doubt that you have to compile anything to get a printer to
>> work. What printer model do you have and what did you try so far to make
>> it work? Where did you get that idea that you'd have to compile a
>> driver? Where did you download the source code for that?
>>
>> In general, it helps to tell the mailing list what you are trying to
>> achieve: describe the goal, not the step:
>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#goal
>>

> Mario,
>
> It's a Star TSP600 Thermal Receipt Printer via Cable Unlimited USB 2.0
> to RS232 Serial Adapter
>
> Keith

Your the only person in the WORLD that has this printer. Get ready
to write code for Ubuntu or windows. That USB to RS232 can be a real
problem too. Many of them are VERY poor.

Ubuntu has software for almost any of the common printers we all
use. To drive a special Receipt Printer would be beyond the scope.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User