Old 07-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Gilles Gravier

Default Home Setup

Hi, Verde!

It's not too hard.

So you know your static IP address. You've done the hardest.

Now, behind your WRT54G router, you should also assign static IPs to
the boxes you want to connect to from the internet. That can be done
easily. If you have stock Linksys firmware... but I prefer putting a
firmware like Tomato (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato) which lets you
easily assign fixed IP addresses based on the MAC address of your
device.

Then, from the router, you program (there's a GUI for that) port
forwarding.

Say on your internal box, at address 192.168.0.69 (I love that number)
you have an SSH server running on port 22... you'd program a rule that
say forward port 22 requests to 192.168.0.69 on port 22... and voila.
From the outside, you ssh to your fixed IP... and the WRT54G will
forward the packets to the box inside.

You would do that for each useful port (80 / 443 for the web server, 22
for SSH, 25 for SMTP, and so on).

If you have multiple machines offering the same service on same ports
(say you have 2 machines inside that you want to reach by SSH) then use
different ports on the outside.

For example, forward port 22 outside to server one port 22 inside, then
port 23 outside to server two port 22 inside...

You get the idea...

Gilles.

Verde Denim wrote:

Hi, all

I want to set up an Ubuntu box that I can connect to from outside.

I have a linksys wrt54g router on the uplink, with one ubu workstation,

and i have a second box that i want to setup ubu server on as a file
server.

the third box is (sadly) a win box that i need for work/school.

any links where i can go hunting for how to set this up? i have a
static ip address.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jack

--

Signature Home Chastity

Gilles Gravier = Gilles@Gravier.org

ICQ : 77488526* || MSN Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org

Skype :*ggravier || Y! : ggravier || AOL : gillesgravier

PGP Key ID : 0x8DE6D026

"Chastity
is its own punishment." (Solomon Short)
[David Gerrold]

"De toutes les
aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus aberrante." [Anatole France]

Old 07-25-2008, 11:39 PM
"Victor Padro"

perhaps if you look into the ubuntuforums.org you could find howtos there or even here is a good place: http://www.howtoforge.com/howtos/linux/ubuntu

ciao

I want to set up an Ubuntu box that I can connect to from outside.
I have a linksys wrt54g router on the uplink, with one ubu workstation,
and i have a second box that i want to setup ubu server on as a file server.

the third box is (sadly) a win box that i need for work/school.

any links where i can go hunting for how to set this up? i have a static ip address.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jack

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 07-26-2008, 12:30 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Gilles Gravier <gilles@gravier.org> said:
> Say on your internal box, at address 192.168.0.69 (I love that number)

Moving a comment on this to sounder.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Linux User # 126326