Old 07-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Tom Rausner

Default Drive woun't handle CD's

Hi All.

I have discovered a strange problem with my DVD/CD -drive. I was going
to burn a CD but the drive couldn't find the disk. I switched to another
disk a couple of times -no luck.

Then I tried playing a burned CD I've been playing with no problems
before -no luck. Then I tried a comercial made CD -no luck. Then I
mounted the drive in hand and got a messsage saying there was no media
in the drive. Then I put a DVD in the drive -no problems.

Just to be on the safe side I booted the previous kernel, to see if it
was a bug of some kind in the new one -no luck.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

It's happening in a "DELL Precision M90"
The drive is a "Sony DVD+-RW DW-Q58A ATA Device"
OS is UBUNTU latest version, fully updated.
Burning software was "Brasero"
and I tried playing the CD's with "Amarok"

--
Tom Rausner
tom@rausner.dk

Old 07-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Rashkae

Tom Rausner wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I have discovered a strange problem with my DVD/CD -drive. I was going
> to burn a CD but the drive couldn't find the disk. I switched to another
> disk a couple of times -no luck.
>
> Then I tried playing a burned CD I've been playing with no problems
> before -no luck. Then I tried a comercial made CD -no luck. Then I
> mounted the drive in hand and got a messsage saying there was no media
> in the drive. Then I put a DVD in the drive -no problems.
>
> Just to be on the safe side I booted the previous kernel, to see if it
> was a bug of some kind in the new one -no luck.
>
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

You bought a shitty computer.

All kidding asside, Optical drives die on a routine basis.. fortunately,
they are a $40 part.. do your part to fill landfill with e-waste and
replace it.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Derek Broughton

Tom Rausner wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I have discovered a strange problem with my DVD/CD -drive. I was going
> to burn a CD but the drive couldn't find the disk. I switched to another
> disk a couple of times -no luck.
>
> Then I tried playing a burned CD I've been playing with no problems
> before -no luck. Then I tried a comercial made CD -no luck. Then I
> mounted the drive in hand and got a messsage saying there was no media
> in the drive. Then I put a DVD in the drive -no problems.

It sounds like the drive's broken to me. Bad behaviour with only CDs you'd
burned, or some other specific behaviour, might be your problem. Inability
to read _any_ CD sounds like it's dead.
--
derek

Old 07-25-2008, 06:39 PM
"Caputo, Luke A SPC RES USAR"

ditto.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Tom Rausner

fre, 25 07 2008 kl. 15:39 -0300, skrev Derek Broughton:

> Inability
> to read _any_ CD sounds like it's dead.

I would have thoughed so too, if it wasn't for one fact;
It plays DVD's with absolutely NO problems... ?!

--
Tom Rausner
tom@rausner.dk

Old 07-25-2008, 06:56 PM
John Masters

On 25 Jul 2008, at 19:24, Tom Rausner wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I have discovered a strange problem with my DVD/CD -drive. I was going
> to burn a CD but the drive couldn't find the disk. I switched to
> another
> disk a couple of times -no luck.
>
> Then I tried playing a burned CD I've been playing with no problems
> before -no luck. Then I tried a comercial made CD -no luck. Then I
> mounted the drive in hand and got a messsage saying there was no media
> in the drive. Then I put a DVD in the drive -no problems.
>
> Just to be on the safe side I booted the previous kernel, to see if it
> was a bug of some kind in the new one -no luck.
>
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?
>
> It's happening in a "DELL Precision M90"
> The drive is a "Sony DVD+-RW DW-Q58A ATA Device"
> OS is UBUNTU latest version, fully updated.
> Burning software was "Brasero"
> and I tried playing the CD's with "Amarok"

My CD/DVD drives last exactly {WARRANTY}+1 day

I have tried Sony, Philips, LG, Toshiba and ALL fail shortly after the
warranty expires. Coincidence? Bad Luck? Or something more sinister?
Good job Muldur & Scully are making a comeback.

Regards, John
johnmasters@me.com

Old 07-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Karl Larsen

Tom Rausner wrote:
> fre, 25 07 2008 kl. 15:39 -0300, skrev Derek Broughton:
>

>> Inability
>> to read _any_ CD sounds like it's dead.
>>

> I would have thoughed so too, if it wasn't for one fact;
> It plays DVD's with absolutely NO problems... ?!

It sounds like your CD is dead. It must have not totally died. It
was just the part that reads a CD. Now you can save this broken CD until
the DVD part dies too, or replace the whole thing with a new one that
does both.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 07-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Derek Broughton

Tom Rausner wrote:

> fre, 25 07 2008 kl. 15:39 -0300, skrev Derek Broughton:
>
>> Inability
>> to read _any_ CD sounds like it's dead.
>
> I would have thoughed so too, if it wasn't for one fact;
> It plays DVD's with absolutely NO problems... ?!

Well, I really don't know anything about the hardware, but surely there's
actually two sets of hardware for dealing with CDs/DVDs, just as there has
to be for BlueRay/DVD
--
derek

Old 07-25-2008, 08:47 PM
"David Fox"

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:56 AM, John Masters <johnmasters@me.com> wrote:
> My CD/DVD drives last exactly {WARRANTY}+1 day

I recently had to replace both my settop dvd recorder (a Toshiba,
about 2 or 3 years old) after it stopped being able to read nearly any
dvd I put in it. My even older JVC started exhibiting the same trouble
after a couple of years as well. And my computer DVD drive (a NEC)
started exhibiting problems reading dvds - I'd put in a disc, start
vlc, and it would complain about access errors reading every track.
Apparently, it thought there was a CD in there, not a DVD. CDs played
fine on it.

Now I have a brand new Sony dvd player for the TV and when I upgraded
my machine I got a Pioneer SATA dvd-rw drive. Works much better,
although I sometimes get the same access errors when I put in a DVD.
But those are temporary, it seems, as I just reload the media. It
sometimes takes a little while for everything to settle so that I can
start up a player.