Old 07-25-2008, 08:52 PM
NoOp

Default Drive woun't handle CD's

On 07/25/2008 11:55 AM, Tom Rausner wrote:
> fre, 25 07 2008 kl. 15:39 -0300, skrev Derek Broughton:
>
>> Inability
>> to read _any_ CD sounds like it's dead.
>
> I would have thoughed so too, if it wasn't for one fact;
> It plays DVD's with absolutely NO problems... ?!

They use different lasers. Try using a cleaning CD & see if that will
fix the problem. If not then the drive is 1/2 broken. I just completed
an install for a friend and she had just the opposite; the CD bit
worked, but the DVD didn't. At first I thought that it might have been
that Ubuntu didn't like the drive, but I had kept the existing Win98 on
the machine as a dual boot until I was ready to blow it out & the drive
did the same in her original Win98.

If just the DVD part is working, buy a new CD/DVD-RW drive and keep the
old one in as a spare DVD drive. I've found the BenQ drives (at least my
older DQ60's) to work great in any OS that I use them with.