Old 07-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Andy

Default Archiving IMAP email

Hi all

I have an email account that is accessible via IMAP and is due to be
"expired" in a couple of weeks. I would like to be able to download all
the email I have on the server and save it to my desktop so I can access
me old emails.

Anyone know a good way of doing this? (I'm using Ubuntu 6.06LTS currently)

I have looked at a couple of articles about doing this with Thunderbird
but my email ends up in mbox files and Thunderbird refuses to open them
again.

Thanks

Andy

Old 07-25-2008, 04:40 PM
"Marcos Toro Oyarzo"

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Andy <stude.list@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have an email account that is accessible via IMAP and is due to be
> "expired" in a couple of weeks. I would like to be able to download all
> the email I have on the server and save it to my desktop so I can access
> me old emails.
>
> Anyone know a good way of doing this? (I'm using Ubuntu 6.06LTS currently)
>
> I have looked at a couple of articles about doing this with Thunderbird
> but my email ends up in mbox files and Thunderbird refuses to open them
> again.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

offlineimap+courier-imap is the solution

read this http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-57157.html

regards,

--
"World domination, now"
-- Linus Torvalds

Old 07-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Rashkae

Andy wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have an email account that is accessible via IMAP and is due to be
> "expired" in a couple of weeks. I would like to be able to download all
> the email I have on the server and save it to my desktop so I can access
> me old emails.
>
> Anyone know a good way of doing this? (I'm using Ubuntu 6.06LTS currently)
>
> I have looked at a couple of articles about doing this with Thunderbird
> but my email ends up in mbox files and Thunderbird refuses to open them
> again.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

Umm, copy those mbox files into Thunderbirds Mail/Local Folders directory

You can also use either Thunderbird or Evolution, add Local E-mail
account, then copy everything from Imap to the Local Folders...

Old 07-25-2008, 05:25 PM
NoOp

On 07/25/2008 09:33 AM, Andy wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have an email account that is accessible via IMAP and is due to be
> "expired" in a couple of weeks. I would like to be able to download all
> the email I have on the server and save it to my desktop so I can access
> me old emails.
>
> Anyone know a good way of doing this? (I'm using Ubuntu 6.06LTS currently)
>
> I have looked at a couple of articles about doing this with Thunderbird
> but my email ends up in mbox files and Thunderbird refuses to open them
> again.

1. Download the import extension:
http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html
[Scroll down to the bottom of the page and download:
http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/ImportExportTools-1.7.1.2.xpi
to your hard drive.]

2. Open TB and select Tools|Add-ons|Install - navigate to where you
stored the xpi file, select it and install it. Restart TB.

3. In TB: Click on your top email account (the main account above inbox,
drafts etc), then Tools|Import/Export in mbox...|Import mbox file|Select
a directory...|OK| - you may have to do Ctrl-H to see your hidden
directories - navigate where you have stored the mbox files - click
Open. You will now be asked "Do you want to import the file "<name>"?
Select OK.

You will find that all the msgs now in TB folders and are marked as unread.