-   -   after update, gmplayer errors (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/1314-after-update-gmplayer-errors.html)

"Craig Hagerman" 11-20-2007 02:18 PM

after update, gmplayer errors

I did an apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade a couple days ago.
Today I went to play a video file. I have it set up to automatically
play in gmplayer when I double click on any video. I found that
gmplayer refused to play almost anything. However, if I open the file
using mplayer from the command line it plays the file just fine. I had
thought these were the same! Isn't gmplayer just a front-end for
mplayer?

Doesn't seem to be any pattern - almost all avi, wmv or whatever
files. I have the latest mplayer and have had all the w32codec etc all
installed and working just fine up until now. Any idea what might have
gotten screwed around with the recent update?

Craig

"Alexander A." 11-23-2007 06:33 PM

after update, gmplayer errors

Greetings.

The pattern you were looking for is actually quite simple: If the filename
(and/or path to file) contains spaces, parenthesis or other symbols that are
translated into a %XX code like in any URI (space is %20 for example) then
gmplayer handles the URI with errors, and fails to find the corresponding
file.

The solution I found http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=618703 on
ubuntuforums is as following:
Open /usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop (e.g. run gksudo gedit
/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop) and change Exec=gmplayer %U to
Exec=gmplayer %F

This somehow corrects the file path/name (URI) given to the player by the
system, thus fixing the problem.

Good luck!