-   -   Pairing S9 bluetooth headset with Hardy (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/131207-pairing-s9-bluetooth-headset-hardy.html)

"Kennneth P. Turvey" 07-24-2008 10:07 PM

Pairing S9 bluetooth headset with Hardy

I'm trying to get my Motorola bluetooth S9 headset to pair with my Hardy
machine, but with no luck. I found a link that is supposed to help (to a
blog), but unfortunately the article is no longer available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've never used bluetooth before so I'm not really sure what I'm doing
here.

The headset is detected correctly by hcitool scan.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com>
http://www.electricsenator.net

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
binary and those who don't.

"Chris Mohler" 07-24-2008 10:33 PM

Pairing S9 bluetooth headset with Hardy

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Kennneth P. Turvey
<kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get my Motorola bluetooth S9 headset to pair with my Hardy
> machine, but with no luck. I found a link that is supposed to help (to a
> blog), but unfortunately the article is no longer available.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I've never used bluetooth before so I'm not really sure what I'm doing
> here.

My only experience with bluetooth has been through pairing my wiimote
for use as a pointer/remote. That being said, if hcitool sees the
device and/or you can see when right-clicking the Bluetooth icon (in
the Gnome panel) and selecting "Browse Device", then at that point you
need to make alsa aware of the headset.

Make sure you have this package installed:
bluetooth-alsa

That should provide the software you need to use the headset - I've
never done that though, so hopefully someone with more knowledge can
help you further...

Chris

"Kennneth P. Turvey" 07-25-2008 12:32 AM

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:33:44 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Kennneth P. Turvey
> <kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to get my Motorola bluetooth S9 headset to pair with my
>> Hardy machine, but with no luck. I found a link that is supposed to
>> help (to a blog), but unfortunately the article is no longer available.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> I've never used bluetooth before so I'm not really sure what I'm doing
>> here.
>
> My only experience with bluetooth has been through pairing my wiimote
> for use as a pointer/remote. That being said, if hcitool sees the
> device and/or you can see when right-clicking the Bluetooth icon (in the
> Gnome panel) and selecting "Browse Device", then at that point you need
> to make alsa aware of the headset.
>
> Make sure you have this package installed: bluetooth-alsa
>
> That should provide the software you need to use the headset - I've
> never done that though, so hopefully someone with more knowledge can
> help you further...
>
> Chris

I'm trying that now. I was going through the command line interface
following a howto. I'm getting the following error:

Couldn't display "obex://[00:0D:FD:1B:57:F0]/"

I'm not sure what that means.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com>
http://www.electricsenator.net

I find it rather easy to portray a businessman. Being bland, rather
cruel and incompetent comes naturally to me.
-- John Cleese

"Chris Mohler" 07-25-2008 12:41 AM

Pairing S9 bluetooth headset with Hardy

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Kennneth P. Turvey
<kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com> wrote:
[...]
> I'm trying that now. I was going through the command line interface
> following a howto. I'm getting the following error:
>
> Couldn't display "obex://[00:0D:FD:1B:57:F0]/"
>
> I'm not sure what that means.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah - I was just experimenting with the wiimote to see if I could get
some audio out of the speaker, and I ran across the same thing. So I
guess the bluetooth applet might be a bit buggy - sorry about that.

If you can pair the headset with hcitool then you should be ready to
try the bluetooth-alsa program(s). Have a look at the man page for
a2dpd - I think you want to do something like a2dpd -a <bluetooth
address>.

Good luck!
Chris

"Caputo, Luke A SPC RES USAR" 07-25-2008 06:14 PM

Pairing S9 bluetooth headset with Hardy

totally agree with marc on that one about using a wired headset. but at the same time, try to follow that thread to get the bluetooth working... id hate to see someone stop using a product and settle with a different product just to make it work with ubuntu.