Old 07-24-2008, 05:41 PM
H.S.Rai

Default Brightness control

Fn+ (F7|F8) which is for brightness decrease|increase is not working on
Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS (Hardy Heron), which used to work fine with
Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS (Dapper Drake) on Compaq Presario V3000 (V3018TU)

Message from icon in panel reads:
"cannot get laptop panel brightness"

Is there any solution?

Thanks,

--
H.S.Rai

Old 07-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 08-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Alex Janssen

H.S.Rai said the following on 07/24/2008 01:41 PM:
> Fn+ (F7|F8) which is for brightness decrease|increase is not working on
> Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS (Hardy Heron), which used to work fine with
> Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS (Dapper Drake) on Compaq Presario V3000 (V3018TU)
>
> Message from icon in panel reads:
> "cannot get laptop panel brightness"
>
> Is there any solution?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> H.S.Rai

I have a different computer from yours, but it may work the same.
See
http://www.linuxscrew.com/2007/10/25/ajust-lcd-brightness-from-command-line-works-at-dell-1501/#comment-3898

--
Ourwoods.org
When you fall off of a horse, don't get back on because the horse probably doesn't like you. - Chess Checkers (325)

Old 02-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Lalit Dhiri

Hi all,

I've installed Lenny 64 on a Dell M1530 using the net install method (laptop and standard) and then installing:

x-window-system-core

gnome-desktop-environment

For some reason gnome desktop power manager is unable to control the screen brightness nor does it dim when on battery.

To test further I created a Lenny gnome live usb stick and tested. When
using the usb stick everything appears to work as expected suggesting
something might be missing from my install.

Can anyone advise what I might have missed in the install?

Thanks

PS If I use Fn and brightness control keys this does change the
screen brightness but the gnome indicator does not show a moving bar.

--
Lalit Dhiri
Linux the root to no GPFs

Old 02-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Lalit Dhiri

Old 02-19-2009, 06:21 AM
Johann Spies

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 02:24:04PM +0000, Lalit Dhiri wrote:

> To test further I created a Lenny gnome live usb stick and tested. When
> using the usb stick everything appears to work as expected suggesting
> something might be missing from my install.
>
> Can anyone advise what I might have missed in the install?

Do a 'dpkg --get-selections > a' on the usb-stick installation and
'dpkg --get-selections > b' on your normal installation and compare them
using either diff, sdiff or comm.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear
not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was
crucified. He is not here: for he is risen, as he
said...Therefore be ye also ready; for in such an hour
as ye think not the Son of man cometh."
Matthew 28:5,6; 24:44

Old 02-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Lalit Dhiri

> Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:21:22 +0200
> From: jspies@sun.ac.za
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Brightness Control
>
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 02:24:04PM +0000, Lalit Dhiri wrote:
>
>> To test further I created a Lenny gnome live usb stick and tested. When
>> using the usb stick everything appears to work as expected suggesting
>> something might be missing from my install.
>>
>> Can anyone advise what I might have missed in the install?
>
> Do a 'dpkg --get-selections> a' on the usb-stick installation and
> 'dpkg --get-selections> b' on your normal installation and compare them
> using either diff, sdiff or comm.
>
> Regards
> Johann

Yes thanks I already did a selection compare with the Live USB packages using diff / sdiff and could not find anything that I thought would make a difference.

The issue has however, been fixed by adding the user account to the powerdev group.