Old 07-24-2008, 03:45 PM
elmo

Default Editing /boot/grub/menu.lst

My GRUB boot menu lists Windows XP first with an autoboot in 10 seconds
and three versions of UBUNTU in the remainder of the menu. This is
because I have great-grandchildren who bring their game CDs with them
when they visit and I wanted Windows XP to autoboot so they can use
their CDs without needing to figure out what to select so they can use
their game CDs.

What I did was edit the default UBUNTU /boot/grub/menu.lst by copying
and dropping the menu items to rearrange their order on the boot menu.

I had to change the permissions for menu.lst so that I could save the
changes I made, then after the changes were saved, I didn't bother to
returned the permissions back to its original form. So far, no problem.

I take over occasionally and select one of the UBUNTU to let them
experience gaming in a different operating system in the hope they'll
look forward to choosing UBUNTU in the boot menu.

Comments ?

elmo

Old 07-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Derek Broughton

elmo wrote:

> My GRUB boot menu lists Windows XP first with an autoboot in 10 seconds
> and three versions of UBUNTU in the remainder of the menu. This is
> because I have great-grandchildren who bring their game CDs with them
> when they visit and I wanted Windows XP to autoboot so they can use
> their CDs without needing to figure out what to select so they can use
> their game CDs.
>
> What I did was edit the default UBUNTU /boot/grub/menu.lst by copying
> and dropping the menu items to rearrange their order on the boot menu.
>
> I had to change the permissions for menu.lst so that I could save the
> changes I made, then after the changes were saved, I didn't bother to
> returned the permissions back to its original form. So far, no problem.

It doesn't matter, though strictly you should use sudo (gksu/kdesu) and edit
as root.

> I take over occasionally and select one of the UBUNTU to let them
> experience gaming in a different operating system in the hope they'll
> look forward to choosing UBUNTU in the boot menu.
>
> Comments ?

Just make sure that the Windows entry is _before_:
### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

After a kernel upgrade, your menu will be rearranged and this will ensure
that the Windows stanza is still first.
--
derek

Old 07-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Karl Larsen

elmo wrote:
> My GRUB boot menu lists Windows XP first with an autoboot in 10 seconds
> and three versions of UBUNTU in the remainder of the menu. This is
> because I have great-grandchildren who bring their game CDs with them
> when they visit and I wanted Windows XP to autoboot so they can use
> their CDs without needing to figure out what to select so they can use
> their game CDs.
>
> What I did was edit the default UBUNTU /boot/grub/menu.lst by copying
> and dropping the menu items to rearrange their order on the boot menu.
>
> I had to change the permissions for menu.lst so that I could save the
> changes I made, then after the changes were saved, I didn't bother to
> returned the permissions back to its original form. So far, no problem.
>
> I take over occasionally and select one of the UBUNTU to let them
> experience gaming in a different operating system in the hope they'll
> look forward to choosing UBUNTU in the boot menu.
>
> Comments ?
>
> elmo

The file menu.lst is normally a root file. This is to protect it
from children :-)

You can change it back to root in a terminal do $ sudo chown root
/boot/grub/menu.lst and that will do it. In the future you can edit the
file with gedit if you start that with $ sudo gedit.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User