FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Rashkae
 
Default OT: Was: LINUX on Windows 98

Mark Haney wrote:
> Jimmy Montague wrote:
>> As I recall, Karl, Win 95 will run in 8 megs of RAM -- but you won't
>> like it. I had it in a 16 mb, DX-2/66 and it was reasonably fast, but my
>> girlfriend installed it in 8 mb and it was nightmarishly slow.
>>
>> Jimmy
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> Win95 did run in 8MB RAM. I first ran 95 on a system with only 8. I
> very quickly (and expensively -- an 8MB SIMM was $60) upgraded to that.
> Wasn't great, but better than nothing at the time.
>
>

Win95 first edition worked beautifully in 4mb of ram. As long as you
had at least a 486 and 4mb, Win95 was actually faster and multi-tasked
much more smoothly than Win 3.11 on the same workload... (Wow, OS
upgrades that improved performance, those were really the golden days)

'Course, it didn't take long for all the third party drivers and add-on
utilities to start sucking all that extra available memory space into a
black hole that keeps getting bigger to this day.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Jimmy Montague
 
Default OT: Was: LINUX on Windows 98

It isn't just the hardware. I remember in 1995 I walked into a cubicle
that was 15 feet square. A single bookshelf, at eye-level, went all the
way around the cube. It was packed from end to end with a set of
matching binders that contained -- something. I said to the guy inside:
"What the hell is all that stuff?" He answered: "It's the documentation
for Oracle."

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 10:26 -0400, Rashkae wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
> > Jimmy Montague wrote:
> >> As I recall, Karl, Win 95 will run in 8 megs of RAM -- but you won't
> >> like it. I had it in a 16 mb, DX-2/66 and it was reasonably fast, but my
> >> girlfriend installed it in 8 mb and it was nightmarishly slow.
> >>
> >> Jimmy
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Win95 did run in 8MB RAM. I first ran 95 on a system with only 8. I
> > very quickly (and expensively -- an 8MB SIMM was $60) upgraded to that.
> > Wasn't great, but better than nothing at the time.
> >
> >
>
> Win95 first edition worked beautifully in 4mb of ram. As long as you
> had at least a 486 and 4mb, Win95 was actually faster and multi-tasked
> much more smoothly than Win 3.11 on the same workload... (Wow, OS
> upgrades that improved performance, those were really the golden days)
>
> 'Course, it didn't take long for all the third party drivers and add-on
> utilities to start sucking all that extra available memory space into a
> black hole that keeps getting bigger to this day.
>


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
"Brian McKee"
 
Default OT: Was: LINUX on Windows 98

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Jimmy Montague
<rhetoric102@iowatelecom.net> wrote:
> It isn't just the hardware. I remember in 1995 I walked into a cubicle
> that was 15 feet square. A single bookshelf, at eye-level, went all the
> way around the cube. It was packed from end to end with a set of
> matching binders that contained -- something. I said to the guy inside:
> "What the hell is all that stuff?" He answered: "It's the documentation
> for Oracle."

I just threw out a 9600 baud Telebit modem. It came with TWO books
the size of your typical O'Reilly softcover as documentation....

And I distinctly remember replacing 8 512K memory sticks (30 pin) with
2meg units in my (then) girlfriends 486, so it would run the software
that came with her first ever soundcard. Still Windows 3.1 at that
point. $250 for the ram and soundcard as I recall - and that was a lot
of money back then! We didn't buy our first CDROM until almost a
year later....

Brian

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default OT: Was: LINUX on Windows 98

Jimmy Montague wrote:

> It isn't just the hardware. I remember in 1995 I walked into a cubicle
> that was 15 feet square. A single bookshelf, at eye-level, went all the
> way around the cube. It was packed from end to end with a set of
> matching binders that contained -- something. I said to the guy inside:
> "What the hell is all that stuff?" He answered: "It's the documentation
> for Oracle."

I'm not sure I see your point - all my Oracle documentation fits on a single
DVD :-)
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Jimmy Montague
 
Default OT: Was: LINUX on Windows 98

My point is that if you printed everything on that DVD and put it in
binders, it would take up even more space now than it did then. Thank
God for plastic -- in this, the information age, our trees no longer
stand a chance

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 11:58 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Jimmy Montague wrote:
>
> > It isn't just the hardware. I remember in 1995 I walked into a cubicle
> > that was 15 feet square. A single bookshelf, at eye-level, went all the
> > way around the cube. It was packed from end to end with a set of
> > matching binders that contained -- something. I said to the guy inside:
> > "What the hell is all that stuff?" He answered: "It's the documentation
> > for Oracle."
>
> I'm not sure I see your point - all my Oracle documentation fits on a single
> DVD :-)
> --
> derek
>
>


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default OT: Was: LINUX on Windows 98

Jimmy Montague wrote:

> My point is that if you printed everything on that DVD and put it in
> binders, it would take up even more space now than it did then. Thank
> God for plastic -- in this, the information age, our trees no longer
> stand a chance

I was kidding - really I _did_ get your point. I was just noting that while
the information & data capacity and speed of the systems keep expanding,
the actual footprints go down. I have practically no manuals any more, and
when I buy texts, I try for softcopies.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Jimmy Montague
 
Default OT: Was: LINUX on Windows 98

I once knew the head of a computer science department at a major
university. He told me that as the demand for ever more and more
powerful software goes up, the quality of the programmers involved in
the process and the quality of the programming they produce become ever
more dismal. He saw the regression as the result of some natural law. He
thought there'll someday come a time when the development process
becomes wholly dysfunctional: like they'll start out to build a
word-processor and end up with a cement mixer.

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 12:26 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Jimmy Montague wrote:
>
> > My point is that if you printed everything on that DVD and put it in
> > binders, it would take up even more space now than it did then. Thank
> > God for plastic -- in this, the information age, our trees no longer
> > stand a chance
>
> I was kidding - really I _did_ get your point. I was just noting that while
> the information & data capacity and speed of the systems keep expanding,
> the actual footprints go down. I have practically no manuals any more, and
> when I buy texts, I try for softcopies.
> --
> derek
>
>


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Mike McMullin
 
Default OT: Was: LINUX on Windows 98

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 10:45 -0500, Jimmy Montague wrote:
> I once knew the head of a computer science department at a major
> university. He told me that as the demand for ever more and more
> powerful software goes up, the quality of the programmers involved in
> the process and the quality of the programming they produce become ever
> more dismal. He saw the regression as the result of some natural law. He
> thought there'll someday come a time when the development process
> becomes wholly dysfunctional: like they'll start out to build a
> word-processor and end up with a cement mixer.
>
> On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 12:26 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > Jimmy Montague wrote:
> >
> > > My point is that if you printed everything on that DVD and put it in
> > > binders, it would take up even more space now than it did then. Thank
> > > God for plastic -- in this, the information age, our trees no longer
> > > stand a chance
> >
> > I was kidding - really I _did_ get your point. I was just noting that while
> > the information & data capacity and speed of the systems keep expanding,
> > the actual footprints go down. I have practically no manuals any more, and
> > when I buy texts, I try for softcopies.
> > --
> > derek

How many new programmers can even read Assembler neumonics. let alone
grep what they mean, and how they have (and should) influenced coding?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:41 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org