Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Herman

Default Virus in this file?

I got this message. It reads:
---
From:
linda maureen
<linda.maureen706@gmail.com>
Subject:
WINNING NOTIFICATION:
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:43:25 +0200
(15:43 PHT)

Attn:Winner,

Kindly open the attachment and get back to our office as soon as
possible.

Mrs. Linda Maureen
EURO AFRO-ASIAN Zonal Coordinator.

Word document
attachment (Euro
Afro Asian
Sweepstake Lottery
Award.doc)

---
I would need OO to read it.
Is OO resistant against a possible embedded virus?

Herman in PHL.
--
Herman.
www.qrz.com/n0jn

Old 07-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Ed Greshko

Herman wrote:
> I got this message. It reads:
> ---
> From:
> linda maureen
> <linda.maureen706@gmail.com>
> Subject:
> WINNING NOTIFICATION:
> Date:
> Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:43:25 +0200
> (15:43 PHT)
>

> Attn:Winner,
>
> Kindly open the attachment and get back to our office as soon as
> possible.
>
> Mrs. Linda Maureen
> EURO AFRO-ASIAN Zonal Coordinator.
>

> Word document
> attachment (Euro
> Afro Asian
> Sweepstake Lottery
> Award.doc)
>
> ---
> I would need OO to read it.

You don't want to read it.... The subject already indicates it is a SCAM/SPAM.

FWIW, there is no virus in that file.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 AM
James Gray

On 24/07/2008, at 6:48 PM, Herman wrote:

> I got this message. It reads:

---8<--- snipped

> Word document attachment (Euro Afro Asian Sweepstake Lottery
> Award.doc)
> ---
> I would need OO to read it.
> Is OO resistant against a possible embedded virus?

Geez. If you THINK it might have a virus and you are uncertain of
it's safety when opened in OO, then *WHY* did you send it to the
entire users list?!? That's like going to the school yard with a
round metal object that LOOKS like a grenade, then tossing it to the
kids and asking them to pull the pin so you can watch from a safe
distance!

A better approach would have been to save the attachment to your own
drive, scan it with ClamAV or any number of free (as in beer) virus
scanners for Linux, then asking the group about macro safety in OO
(without the attachment). Of course if anyone REALLY wanted to see
your spam, then they could ask you for the attachment off-list

Please DON'T post stuff you have no confidence in the safety of - like
telling n00bs to run "sudo rm -rf /".....don't do it; it's a grenade.

Cheers,

James

Old 07-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Andy

Herman wrote:
> I would need OO to read it.
> Is OO resistant against a possible embedded virus?

Why don't you email it to virustotal.com they will scan it for viruses
and tell you the results. For instructions see:
http://www.virustotal.com/metodos.html

The simple way of determining if it's fraud/virus is "did you enter the
lottery it mentioned?", if not it probably is fraud/virus. People don't
often give away free money particularly by email!

Andy

Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Jason Crain

Herman wrote:
> I got this message. It reads:
> ---
> From:
> linda maureen
> <linda.maureen706@gmail.com>
> Subject:
> WINNING NOTIFICATION:
> Date:
> Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:43:25 +0200
> (15:43 PHT)

First, do not open it. It is spam.

What makes you think it has a virus? Many virus scanners will mark
these messages as virus/phishing. While not really a virus, it is a
phishing attempt. That is, an attempt to get personal or banking
information from you.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Karl Larsen

Herman wrote:
> I got this message. It reads:
> ---
> From:
> linda maureen
> <linda.maureen706@gmail.com>
> Subject:
> WINNING NOTIFICATION:
> Date:
> Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:43:25 +0200
> (15:43 PHT)
>

> Attn:Winner,
>
> Kindly open the attachment and get back to our office as soon as
> possible.
>
> Mrs. Linda Maureen
> EURO AFRO-ASIAN Zonal Coordinator.
>

> Word document
> attachment (Euro
> Afro Asian
> Sweepstake Lottery
> Award.doc)
>
> ---
> I would need OO to read it.
> Is OO resistant against a possible embedded virus?
>
> Herman in PHL.

That looks like a scam to me. They always say you won something you
never heard of before :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Florian Primessnig

James Gray wrote:
> On 24/07/2008, at 6:48 PM, Herman wrote:
>

>> Word document attachment (Euro Afro Asian Sweepstake Lottery
>> Award.doc)
>> ---
>> I would need OO to read it.
>> Is OO resistant against a possible embedded virus?
>>

> Geez. If you THINK it might have a virus and you are uncertain of
> it's safety when opened in OO, then *WHY* did you send it to the
> entire users list?!? That's like going to the school yard with a
> round metal object that LOOKS like a grenade, then tossing it to the
> kids and asking them to pull the pin so you can watch from a safe
> distance!

<snip>

Haha. that comment made my day.

--
Florian Primessnig
------------------

Old 07-24-2008, 06:29 PM
"debiani386@gmail.com"

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 19:29 +1000, James Gray wrote:
> On 24/07/2008, at 6:48 PM, Herman wrote:
>
> > I got this message. It reads:
>
> ---8<--- snipped
>
> > Word document attachment (Euro Afro Asian Sweepstake Lottery
> > Award.doc)
> > ---
> > I would need OO to read it.
> > Is OO resistant against a possible embedded virus?
>
> Geez. If you THINK it might have a virus and you are uncertain of
> it's safety when opened in OO, then *WHY* did you send it to the
> entire users list?!? That's like going to the school yard with a
> round metal object that LOOKS like a grenade, then tossing it to the
> kids and asking them to pull the pin so you can watch from a safe
> distance!
>
> A better approach would have been to save the attachment to your own
> drive, scan it with ClamAV or any number of free (as in beer) virus
> scanners for Linux, then asking the group about macro safety in OO
> (without the attachment). Of course if anyone REALLY wanted to see
> your spam, then they could ask you for the attachment off-list
>
> Please DON'T post stuff you have no confidence in the safety of - like
> telling n00bs to run "sudo rm -rf /".....don't do it; it's a grenade.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James

well my question is..if you think its a virus....WHY NOT SCAN IT? its
not that hard to do!!?!?!? I dont think that people should rely on other
people to scan a particular file for them.

--cj

Old 07-25-2008, 01:32 AM
"David Fox"

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 11:29 AM, debiani386@gmail.com
<debiani386@gmail.com> wrote:
> well my question is..if you think its a virus....WHY NOT SCAN IT? its
> not that hard to do!!?!?!? I dont think that people should rely on other
> people to scan a particular file for them.

Or better yet, mail it back to the sender.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Ed Greshko

David Fox wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 11:29 AM, debiani386@gmail.com
> <debiani386@gmail.com> wrote:
>> well my question is..if you think its a virus....WHY NOT SCAN IT? its
>> not that hard to do!!?!?!? I dont think that people should rely on other
>> people to scan a particular file for them.
>
> Or better yet, mail it back to the sender.

That is not a recommended action. The sending email address is often *not*
who it was originally sent by and will, at times, be an innocent 3rd party.

--
I have a very strange feeling about this...
-- Luke Skywalker