Old 07-24-2008, 08:21 AM
"guido dom"

Default ALC 888 sound card

Hello
I'm using a MEDION MD 96640 laptop with a ALC 888 sound car (from Realtek?) which performs perfectly in Win Vista.
In Ubuntu 8.04 I hear a very weak sound (with all settings to max).

Is there a solution?

Thanks
--
Tel:+32 (0)58 239804 +32 (0)497 538736

Nog een mooie dag toegewenst.

Guido (dompie) Dom
Registered Linux (Ubuntu) User # 462578d

Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

> I'm using a MEDION MD 96640 laptop with a ALC 888 sound car (from Realtek?)
> which performs perfectly in Win Vista.
> In Ubuntu 8.04 I hear a very weak sound (with all settings to max).
> Is there a solution?

Hi,

I recently bought a new computer, which happens to have that very same
sound chip. I too have (extremely) low sound volume unfortunately.
I searched the web a bit and quickly found out that:

1) it's a very well know problem
2) there is no solution sadly, no choice but live with it ! :-/

Since I have desktop computer, it was feasible to add separate and
amplified loudspeakers, which, once set to the max, produce
decent/acceptable output. But sadly in your case you have a laptop so
not practical/possible to do the same :-/

Only thing you can do is make sure that in the volume control panel,
the "Front" slider/channel is set to the max. But other than that...

Sorry for the bad news...

--
Vince, going to buy a new sound card...

Old 07-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Frans

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:01:25 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

>> I'm using a MEDION MD 96640 laptop with a ALC 888 sound car (from
>> Realtek?) which performs perfectly in Win Vista. In Ubuntu 8.04 I hear
>> a very weak sound (with all settings to max). Is there a solution?
>
> Hi,
>
> I recently bought a new computer, which happens to have that very same
> sound chip. I too have (extremely) low sound volume unfortunately. I
> searched the web a bit and quickly found out that:
>
> 1) it's a very well know problem
> 2) there is no solution sadly, no choice but live with it ! :-/
>
> Since I have desktop computer, it was feasible to add separate and
> amplified loudspeakers, which, once set to the max, produce
> decent/acceptable output. But sadly in your case you have a laptop so
> not practical/possible to do the same :-/
>
> Only thing you can do is make sure that in the volume control panel, the
> "Front" slider/channel is set to the max. But other than that...
>
> Sorry for the bad news...

Maybe this can help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=658035 ,
especially post #10 .

I would also try alsamixer (from the command line) .

Good luck!

-Frans