-   -   Dynamic DNS Updater (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/130472-dynamic-dns-updater.html)

"Robert Dailey" 07-23-2008 09:50 PM

Dynamic DNS Updater

Hi,

I'm currently running Ubuntu Server 8 and I'm looking for a utility that I can run that does the following:
Obtains the WAN IP from my router (D-Link DGL-4500)Contacts DynDns.com and updates my Dynamic DNS domain.
I read about ddclient, however it looks like no one has been working on it for a while. I didn't see my router supported in there and I'm not sure if the other supported routers will just magically work with mine. Thanks.

Markus Schönhaber 07-23-2008 10:18 PM

Dynamic DNS Updater

Robert Dailey wrote:

> I'm currently running Ubuntu Server 8 and I'm looking for a utility that I
> can run that does the following:
>
> 1. Obtains the WAN IP from my router (D-Link DGL-4500)
> 2. Contacts DynDns.com and updates my Dynamic DNS domain.
>
> I read about ddclient, however it looks like no one has been working on it
> for a while. I didn't see my router supported in there and I'm not sure if
> the other supported routers will just magically work with mine. Thanks.

I think that ddclient does what you want. Whether or not it's capable of
get your router's WAN address probably doesn't matter since ddclient can
use the IP checking page of DynDNS. In /etc/ddclient.conf change the line
use=if, if=<whatever>
use=web

Regards
mks

NoOp 07-23-2008 11:53 PM

Dynamic DNS Updater

On 07/23/2008 02:50 PM, Robert Dailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running Ubuntu Server 8 and I'm looking for a utility that I
> can run that does the following:
>
> 1. Obtains the WAN IP from my router (D-Link DGL-4500)
> 2. Contacts DynDns.com and updates my Dynamic DNS domain.
>
> I read about ddclient, however it looks like no one has been working on it
> for a while. I didn't see my router supported in there and I'm not sure if
> the other supported routers will just magically work with mine. Thanks.

ddclient should work just fine for you. Check the archives on this list
for some added tips.

Ed Greshko 07-24-2008 12:26 AM

Dynamic DNS Updater

Robert Dailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running Ubuntu Server 8 and I'm looking for a utility that
> I can run that does the following:
>
> 1. Obtains the WAN IP from my router (D-Link DGL-4500)
> 2. Contacts DynDns.com and updates my Dynamic DNS domain.
>
> I read about ddclient, however it looks like no one has been working on
> it for a while. I didn't see my router supported in there and I'm not
> sure if the other supported routers will just magically work with mine.

Ahhh... Your router already has the ability to contact dyndns.com without
any external programs!

From the web admin interface, go to "tools" and then "Dynamic DNS".

No fuss, no muss.

--
In war, truth is the first casualty.
-- U Thant

"Robert Dailey" 07-24-2008 02:48 AM

Dynamic DNS Updater

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:

Robert Dailey wrote:

> Hi,

> I'm currently running Ubuntu Server 8 and I'm looking for a utility that

> I can run that does the following:

> * *1. Obtains the WAN IP from my router (D-Link DGL-4500)

> * *2. Contacts DynDns.com and updates my Dynamic DNS domain.

> I read about ddclient, however it looks like no one has been working on

> it for a while. I didn't see my router supported in there and I'm not

> sure if the other supported routers will just magically work with mine.

Ahhh... *Your router already has the ability to contact dyndns.com without

any external programs!

*From the web admin interface, go to "tools" and then "Dynamic DNS".

No fuss, no muss.
Yeah, I was actually already using that, however I ran into a situation where I had to update more than 1 domain. But I realized that I was missing something terribly obvious, and that was that the 2nd domain could do a lookup on the first :)

Thanks for your help guys!