Old 07-23-2008, 07:40 PM
"drew einhorn"

Default remote virtual terminals

Hi,

I have a bunch of software that is not playing well together.

I have Hardy Heron laptotp with a ssh connection to a remote CentOS Xen Dom0.

I'm using cobbler/koan attempting to provision CentOS DomU vitual machines.

I run koan --virt --nogfx ...* on the Dom0 and it sucessfully starts the new DomU VM.

The CentOS installer is successfully starting.
I successfully connect to the VM using virsh on the Dom0 via the ssh connection
from my Hardy laptop.

The CentOS installer attempts to set up networking using DHCP and runs astray.

I need to do Ctl-Alt-Fn to access alternate Virtual Consoles on the virsh console
on the DomU to troubleshoot the DHCP issue.* But the Hardy laptop is catching
the Ctrl-Alt-Fn and presenting alternets Virtual Consoles on the laptop instead of

shoving them through the ssh connection to the remote virsh console.
--
Drew Einhorn

Old 07-24-2008, 02:05 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:40 PM, drew einhorn <drew.einhorn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to do Ctl-Alt-Fn to access alternate Virtual Consoles on the virsh
> console
> on the DomU to troubleshoot the DHCP issue. But the Hardy laptop is
> catching
> the Ctrl-Alt-Fn and presenting alternets Virtual Consoles on the laptop
> instead of
> shoving them through the ssh connection to the remote virsh console.

I only vaguely followed that - but what about `chvt` ?

Brian

Old 07-25-2008, 02:19 PM
"drew einhorn"

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:40 PM, drew einhorn <drew.einhorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to do Ctl-Alt-Fn to access alternate Virtual Consoles on the virsh

> console

> on the DomU to troubleshoot the DHCP issue. *But the Hardy laptop is

> catching

> the Ctrl-Alt-Fn and presenting alternets Virtual Consoles on the laptop

> instead of

> shoving them through the ssh connection to the remote virsh console.

I only vaguely followed that - but what about `chvt` ?

It looks like Ctrl-Alt-Fn is normally bound to: chvt n
on the my Hardy laptop.

When the xterm with the ssh session to the remote xen dom0 has focus,
I need to override that binding somehow.* Instead of Ctrl-Alt-Fn changing

the virtual consoles on the local laptop.* I want it sent over the ssh connection
to the remote dom0 session.* Where it can be processed by the virsh runnning
in dom0 presenting a domU console.

The domU is in early stages of the RHEL5 installer and my idea of tweaking

the key bindings isn't going to work.

*

Brian

Drew Einhorn