Old 12-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Derek Broughton

Default Restart Wireless Without Rebooting

Kenneth Loafman wrote:

> Periodically my wireless connection dies and nothing seems to restart it
> except the brain-dead Windows way of rebooting the whole system. In a
> UNIX system, you should be able to restart anything except the kernel
> without a reboot. I can't seem to figure out how.
>
> Running 64-bit Ubuntu Feisty on a Dell 1501, ndiswrapper around bcmwl5
> driver, Network Manager, the rest pretty normal. All up to date.
>
> I have tried restarting the connection through Network Manager. No go.
>
> I have tried /etc/init.d/networking restart. No go, of course.
>
> I have used ndiswrapper to remove and reinstall the driver. No go.
>
> I have no hair to pull, or dead chicken to wave over my head while
> standing on one leg, so what magic incantation do I need to use?

"/etc/init.d/dbus restart" should do the job - but it's only slightly less
sledge-hammerish than rebooting (and after that, I find I have to restart
kde-guidance-powermanager, as it's lost any idea that my laptop has a
battery).

Does your system hibernate? I find that hibernate/resume often kickstarts
my wlan (same hardware as yours). One of these days I'll check out exactly
what it's doing and see if I can write a script...or maybe you will and
send it to me :-)
--
derek

Old 12-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Chris wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 09:05:25 -0600
> Preston Boyington <preston.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Kenneth Loafman wrote:
>> > Periodically my wireless connection dies and nothing seems to
>> > restart it except the brain-dead Windows way of rebooting the whole
>> > system. In a UNIX system, you should be able to restart anything
>> > except the kernel without a reboot. I can't seem to figure out how.
>> >

>> try going to a terminal and typing:
>>
>> sudo ifdown wifi0
>>
>> to take down the wifi interface and then:
>>
>> sudo ifup wifi0
>>
>> to bring it back up again. just be sure to insert your correct
>> network device after the "ifup" or "ifdown" (eth0, wifi0, ath0)
>>

> While the above works, I myself have used a more encompassing way.
>
> /etc/init.d/networking stop
> /etc/init.d/networking start

Neither method should do a thing for an interface controlled by
NetworkManager...
--
derek

Old 12-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Derek Broughton

Kenneth Loafman wrote:

> Mario Vukelic wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 09:05 -0600, Preston Boyington wrote:
>>> sudo ifdown wifi0
>>
>> This only works if the interface is managed by /etc/network/interfaces.
>> The OP however stated that his interface is managed by NetworkManager
>
> I just found that you can restart NetworkManager with:
>
> sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart

Thanks, that's better than my method of restarting dbus in its entirety.
--
derek

Old 12-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Kenneth Loafman

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Kenneth Loafman wrote:
>
>> Periodically my wireless connection dies and nothing seems to restart it
>> except the brain-dead Windows way of rebooting the whole system. In a
>> UNIX system, you should be able to restart anything except the kernel
>> without a reboot. I can't seem to figure out how.
>>
>> Running 64-bit Ubuntu Feisty on a Dell 1501, ndiswrapper around bcmwl5
>> driver, Network Manager, the rest pretty normal. All up to date.
>>
>> I have tried restarting the connection through Network Manager. No go.
>>
>> I have tried /etc/init.d/networking restart. No go, of course.
>>
>> I have used ndiswrapper to remove and reinstall the driver. No go.
>>
>> I have no hair to pull, or dead chicken to wave over my head while
>> standing on one leg, so what magic incantation do I need to use?
>
> "/etc/init.d/dbus restart" should do the job - but it's only slightly less
> sledge-hammerish than rebooting (and after that, I find I have to restart
> kde-guidance-powermanager, as it's lost any idea that my laptop has a
> battery).
>
> Does your system hibernate? I find that hibernate/resume often kickstarts
> my wlan (same hardware as yours). One of these days I'll check out exactly
> what it's doing and see if I can write a script...or maybe you will and
> send it to me :-)

Hmmm, that's more of a sledgehammer than my previous post
sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart

I wonder what it will do to Gnome stuff. I may just have to find out.
I quite often run long jobs and rebooting is sometimes just not at all
practical. Besides, with Linux, I should not need to reboot.

...Ken

Old 12-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Derek Broughton

Kenneth Loafman wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:

>> "/etc/init.d/dbus restart" should do the job - but it's only slightly
>> less sledge-hammerish than rebooting (and after that, I find I have to
>> restart kde-guidance-powermanager, as it's lost any idea that my laptop
>> has a battery).
>>
>> Does your system hibernate? I find that hibernate/resume often
>> kickstarts
>> my wlan (same hardware as yours). One of these days I'll check out
>> exactly what it's doing and see if I can write a script...or maybe you
>> will and send it to me :-)
>
> Hmmm, that's more of a sledgehammer than my previous post
> sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart

Absolutely - but I know that, unless it's an odd side-effect of the
hibernation process itself, there really isn't much that happens in the
network unload/reload scripts, so it should be possible to script the part
that actually resets my network. otoh, if your dbus method does the same
thing, I don't need to script anything :-)

> I wonder what it will do to Gnome stuff.

It really shouldn't matter whether it's Gnome or KDE.
--
derek

Old 12-05-2007, 06:48 PM
"Bazooka Joe"

I am a network guy and I am always having to restart dbus. I am always
setting ip addrs on wired and wireless then to dhcp and back again -
ubuntu never picks up the changes. And sometimes not even after
restarting dbus.

I hope this gets smoothed out in the future or they give us an easier
way to restart network than the command line.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:34 PM
"Michael R. Head"

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 08:23 -0600, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> Periodically my wireless connection dies and nothing seems to restart it
> except the brain-dead Windows way of rebooting the whole system. In a
> UNIX system, you should be able to restart anything except the kernel
> without a reboot. I can't seem to figure out how.
>
> Running 64-bit Ubuntu Feisty on a Dell 1501, ndiswrapper around bcmwl5
> driver, Network Manager, the rest pretty normal. All up to date.
>
> I have tried restarting the connection through Network Manager. No go.

Here's what I do when the driver bombs (I have iwl4965):

sudo modprobe -r iwl4965
sudo modprobe iwl4965

and, if necessary:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure network-manager

--
Michael R. Head <burner@suppressingfire.org>
http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/

Old 12-05-2007, 07:35 PM
"Michael R. Head"

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 09:46 -0600, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 09:05 -0600, Preston Boyington wrote:
> >> sudo ifdown wifi0
> >
> > This only works if the interface is managed by /etc/network/interfaces.
> > The OP however stated that his interface is managed by NetworkManager
>
> I just found that you can restart NetworkManager with:
>
> sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart

this also works: