Old 07-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Reinhard Haller

Default raid not booting

Hi,

this morning my ubuntu box wasn't accessible (no local access, no ssh,
no http -- ping worked), so I resetted the server.

The box didn't boot with the following messages:

There appears to be one or more degraded RAID devices ...

md0: incative sdc2[2](S) sdb2[1](S) sdc3[3](S)

The suggested start with the degraded raid (mdadm -R /dev/md0) gives the
following messages:

mdadm: CREATE user root not found
mdadm: CREATE group disk not found
raid5: not enough operational devices for md0 (2/3 failed)

I tested all drives with the Samsung HD-Utility: they are all 3 fully
operational, the partitions are all present!

Operating system: ubuntu 8.04 kernel: 2.6.24-18-server

Any suggestions how to get it working again?

Thanks
Reinhard

Old 07-23-2008, 02:33 PM
David Vincent

Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Rashkae

Reinhard Haller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this morning my ubuntu box wasn't accessible (no local access, no ssh,
> no http -- ping worked), so I resetted the server.
>
> The box didn't boot with the following messages:
>
> There appears to be one or more degraded RAID devices ...
>
> md0: incative sdc2[2](S) sdb2[1](S) sdc3[3](S)
>
> The suggested start with the degraded raid (mdadm -R /dev/md0) gives the
> following messages:
>
> mdadm: CREATE user root not found
> mdadm: CREATE group disk not found
> raid5: not enough operational devices for md0 (2/3 failed)
>
> I tested all drives with the Samsung HD-Utility: they are all 3 fully
> operational, the partitions are all present!
>
> Operating system: ubuntu 8.04 kernel: 2.6.24-18-server
>
> Any suggestions how to get it working again?
>
> Thanks
> Reinhard

Suggestions only, not tested in this kind of scenario, and may cause
permanent data loss.

Since all partitions are present and accounted for, you try to just
force the array to assemble

mdadm -A -f /dev/md0

On a side (snide?) note, please tell me that is a typo in your message
and you didn't really create a Raid 5 array with 2 partitions on the
same drive! (sdc)

Old 07-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Reinhard Haller

Rashkae schrieb:

Reinhard Haller wrote:

[...]

Assembling ends in a bunch of error messages:

ata4.00: cmd 25/00:00:88:03:97/00: 03:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 393216 in

ata4.00: status { DRDY }

ata4.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)

ata4.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)

ata4.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)

sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Asking for cache data failed

sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache write through

raind5: Disk failure on sdb2, disabling device

The same is repeated for ata3 and the next drive is disabled --> end
of start

On a side (snide?) note, please tell me that is a typo in your message
and you didn't really create a Raid 5 array with 2 partitions on the
same drive! (sdc)

yeah it is. 3 disks, 2 with swap and raid, 1 with boot, swap and raid
partitions.

Reconstructing the array with a recovery installation resulted in a
bunch of error messages. Testing the drives with

the DOS based HD-Utility gave no errors (even the complete surface
scan). Is there a way to copy the disk data

offline and assemle it?