Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
"Michael Varre"

Default please help, desperate, weird problem realting to ftp and samba shares and filesystem access thx :)

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Jody Gugelhupf <knueffle@yahoo.com> wrote:

hi ppl
I have a fresh install of ubuntu hardy (let's call this machine 1), i have several machines mainly unix machines on the network, i have setup samba, it works without problem between all clients. I also have a ftp running on machine 1, in the ftp dir i have all sorts of directories, including shares from other machines, which i mounted there with samba, i can see all files access everything and the rights are set correctly too, i can also download anything from machine 1's ftp directory as long as it is physically in that machines, when i try to download something from a mounted directory i get 2 different errors from several clients i have tried:

some clients give me this error:
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for Arms.avi (734472192 bytes).
426 Sendfile error: Value too large for defined data type.

other clients give me this error:
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for Fov.avi (731535360 bytes)

426 Transfer aborted. Operation not permitted

however when i download files which are only a couple kb it works, but i think no more then 10kb
then i tried uploading files to the ftp's directory into the directories which were mounted, and from which i can only downloadver small files or get the mentioned errors, uploading works, regardless the size

I have tried proftpd and glftpd on machine1 same problem, i have also installed an ftp on another ubuntu machine and have mounted directories from other machines (to recreate same circumstance) and there is no problem, so what the hell is the issue here, any hints tips?

thx,
jody

*
in proftpd.conf have you tried to adding the following...

UseSendFile******************** off
*
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/cifs-and-426-sendfile-error-value-too-large-for-defined-data-type-450631/

mv
315.952.5753

Old 07-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Jody Gugelhupf

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Jody Gugelhupf
> <knueffle@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > hi ppl
> > I have a fresh install of ubuntu hardy (let's call
> this machine 1), i have several machines mainly unix
> machines on the network, i have setup samba, it works
> without problem between all clients. I also have a ftp
> running on machine 1, in the ftp dir i have all sorts of
> directories, including shares from other machines, which i
> mounted there with samba, i can see all files access
> everything and the rights are set correctly too, i can also
> download anything from machine 1's ftp directory as long
> as it is physically in that machines, when i try to download
> something from a mounted directory i get 2 different errors
> from several clients i have tried:
>
> You are trying to download a directory that is a samba
> share mounted
> in an ftp share?

yes a directory or a file in the directory does not matter

> Why can't you just mount the samba share directly
> instead of hopping thru ftp?

of course i could, but i run a server accessible from outside the network, anyhow i need the ftp but the problem is really weird, since i did the reintall of ubuntu it won'twork anymore...

Old 07-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Jody Gugelhupf

>> hi ppl
>> I have a fresh install of ubuntu hardy (let's call this machine 1), i have
>> several machines mainly unix machines on the network, i have setup samba, it
>> works without problem between all clients. I also have a ftp running on
>> machine 1, in the ftp dir i have all sorts of directories, including shares
>> from other machines, which i mounted there with samba, i can see all files
>> access everything and the rights are set correctly too, i can also download
>> anything from machine 1's ftp directory as long as it is physically in that
>> machines, when i try to download something from a mounted directory i get 2
>> different errors from several clients i have tried:
>>
>> some clients give me this error:
>> 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for Arms.avi (734472192 bytes).
>> 426 Sendfile error: Value too large for defined data type.
>>
>> other clients give me this error:
>> 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for Fov.avi (731535360 bytes)
>> 426 Transfer aborted. Operation not permitted
>>
>> however when i download files which are only a couple kb it works, but i
>> think no more then 10kb
>> then i tried uploading files to the ftp's directory into the directories
>> which were mounted, and from which i can only downloadver small files or get
>> the mentioned errors, uploading works, regardless the size
>> I have tried proftpd and glftpd on machine1 same problem, i have also
>> installed an ftp on another ubuntu machine and have mounted directories from
>> other machines (to recreate same circumstance) and there is no problem, so
>> what the hell is the issue here, any hints tips?
>> thx,
>> jody
>>

>in proftpd.conf have you tried to adding the following...

>UseSendFile off

>http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/cifs-and-426-sendfile-error-value-too-large-for-defined-data-type-450631/

i have found that advise too, but as i mentioned the problem is only with mounted directories, but not with the local filesystem, also i have mentioned that i have tried other ftp servers (glftpd to be specific) and there is also no such option, anyhow that i snot the solution, anyone else? kinda desperate here, thx
jody