Old 07-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Johnny

Default Ubuntu 8.04 cdrom is not seeing all mp3's

Hi

Ubuntu 8.04 did all updates

The cdrom is not seeing all mp3's on the cd disc
But when I view them on a Windows XP computer I see all the missing mp3's
This is a new cd disc
What seems to be the problem why I can't see all the mp3's with Ubuntu

Johnny

Old 07-22-2008, 07:25 PM
"debiani386@gmail.com"

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 14:15 -0500, Johnny wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ubuntu 8.04 did all updates
>
> The cdrom is not seeing all mp3's on the cd disc
> But when I view them on a Windows XP computer I see all the missing mp3's
> This is a new cd disc
> What seems to be the problem why I can't see all the mp3's with Ubuntu
>
> Johnny

did you burn the mp3's to the cd? Windows xp has a feature that allows
you to copy files (such as mp3's) to a cd, but to apply the mp3's to the
cd, you need to right click -> write files to cd

--cj

Old 07-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 14:15 -0500, Johnny wrote:
> Hi
>
> Ubuntu 8.04 did all updates
>
> The cdrom is not seeing all mp3's on the cd disc
> But when I view them on a Windows XP computer I see all the missing mp3's
> This is a new cd disc
> What seems to be the problem why I can't see all the mp3's with Ubuntu

What kind of CD is that? What's sold by some labels today as commercial
"Audio CDs" actually violates the Audio CD standard [1] to accommodate
"Digital Rights Management" (DRM, more properly also known as "Digital
Restrictions Management").

If it is such a CD, it might contain (or have installed) software that
allows to see some files with XP that you cannot see without that
software.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_(audio_CD_standard)

Old 07-22-2008, 08:09 PM
"Harry L. Lee"

have you installed gstreamer ugly? ubuntu, given its philosophy, does not, out of the box deal with mp3s

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Johnny <linuxhamuser@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

Ubuntu 8.04 did all updates

The cdrom is not seeing all mp3's on the cd disc

But when I view them on a Windows XP computer I see all the missing mp3's

This is a new cd disc

What seems to be the problem why I can't see all the mp3's with Ubuntu

Johnny

harry@jonesnose.com
Harry L Lee (via gmail)
chief cook and bottle washer
http://jonesnose.com

mailto:harry@jonesnose.com
207-384-8030 (email preferred)

Old 07-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 16:09 -0400, Harry L. Lee wrote:
> have you installed gstreamer ugly? ubuntu, given its philosophy, does
> not, out of the box deal with mp3s

This hasn't been true for quite a while. Recent Ubuntu versions offer to
install the codec when you try to play one.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 PM
"Harry L. Lee"

I know gutsy does not do that, but I didn't bother really going that far with hardy. this is a gutsy shop.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Johnny

wrote:

> have you installed gstreamer ugly? ubuntu, given its philosophy,
does

> not, out of the box deal with mp3s

This hasn't been true for quite a while. Recent Ubuntu versions offer to

install the codec when you try to play one.

I am not trying to play the mp3's, I just wanted to view what's on the
CD disc

With Windows XP I can see all mp3's and the missing mp3's but not with
Ubuntu 8.04

I all so have Debian etch installed on any computer viewed the same CD
disc it does the same thing.

What's seems to be the problem why I can't see all the mp3's on the CD
disc with Ubuntu

Johnny

Old 07-22-2008, 11:55 PM
"Harry L. Lee"

all I know is I use listen to play my music(mp3-320's). if i try to import a directory with several thousand mp3's into the library, it finds none until i install* the gstreamer ugly package. try it. what do you have to lose?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Johnny

wrote:

> have you installed gstreamer ugly? ubuntu, given its philosophy,
does

> not, out of the box deal with mp3s

This hasn't been true for quite a while. Recent Ubuntu versions offer to

install the codec when you try to play one.

I am not trying to play the mp3's, I just wanted to view what's on the
CD disc

With Windows XP I can see all mp3's and the missing mp3's but not with
Ubuntu 8.04

I all so have Debian etch installed on any computer viewed the same CD
disc it does the same thing.

What's seems to be the problem why I can't see all the mp3's on the CD
disc with Ubuntu

Johnny

gstreamer ugly package are installed,

Johnny

Old 07-23-2008, 05:06 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 16:29 -0400, Harry L. Lee wrote:
> I know gutsy does not do that, but I didn't bother really going that
> far with hardy. this is a gutsy shop.

As far as I can remember, Gutsy does that, or at least should. However,
this in general only applies to gstreamer-based players (which are the
default in Ubuntu anyway)