Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 AM
"Paul Johnson"

Default Ubuntu 8.04 cdrom is not seeing all mp3's

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Johnny <linuxhamuser@gmail.com> wrote:
> H i
>
> Ubuntu 8.04 did all updates
>
> The cdrom is not seeing all mp3's on the cd disc
> But when I view them on a Windows XP computer I see all the missing mp3's
> This is a new cd disc
> What seems to be the problem why I can't see all the mp3's with Ubuntu

You have not told us how you are "seeing" the mp3 files on the disk.
If you put in the disk and it gets mounted under /media/cdrom0 or
somewhere, open a terminal in there and type "ls -la" and see if it
lists all the files you expect. If it does show them, then you know
you are not seeing them because of some flaw in the graphical
interface.

If the files are not there, then I suspect you have a multisession CD,
and the mp3 files were written in one or more sessions. There are
some formats of multisession CD-R that windows understands but other
systems do not understand because windows is keeping secrets.
Understand that a multisession disk is really a first session of
files, and when another session is added, it writes on a clean part of
the disk and it is SUPPOSED TO update the file index to include the
files on the old part. If that index is not correctly written, then
the CD may show you only the most recent session's files. Or, was it
the oldest session's files? I always forget

If you don't make some progress, please write back and let us know

1) How was the mp3 disk created? Software, multisessions?

2) When you put the disk in your system, is it automatically mounted?
What is the output from "dmesg" in a terminal? If there are separate
sessions on the CD, it may be that they are showing up as separate
partitions. I've heard people claim that happens, but I've never seen
it.

> Johnny

Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science
1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
University of Kansas

Old 07-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Johnny

Paul Johnson wrote:

[...]

The cd's are automatically mounted when cd in put in the cdrom.

I have tried manually umount /media/cdrom0 and mount /media/cdrom0

The cd's are manufactured audio books of the Bible I have viewed the
cd's with

terminal, MC (Midnight Commander, Gnome Commander, Nautilus

On the cd's are just mp3's, know folders. on CD disc 1 there is 138
mp3's

There is 1 or 3* more mp3 chapters out of each book is not show up or
it shows that they are missing on the cd on Ubuntu 8.04 or Debian Etch

But not with Window XP it shows all 138 mp3's

Johnny

Old 07-24-2008, 05:06 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 21:45 -0500, Johnny wrote:
> The cd's are manufactured audio books of the Bible

Well, did you consider my first reply to your question about commercial,
DRM-ed CDs?

Old 07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Johnny