Old 07-22-2008, 05:39 PM
Leonard Bussey

Default Firefox locking up

I tried installing the java runtime environment using the instructions
on Sun's website.

I downloaded the jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin file
extracted it into /home/leonard/jre.1.6.0_07
chmod a_x jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin to make it executable
./jre-6u7-linux-i586.bin to install
cd /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/plugins
ln -s /home/leonard/jre.1.6.0_07/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Now whenever I start Firefox it locks up after a few minutes. Sometimes
it justs closes by itself and other times it locks the system up. I
have to log onto another vitual terminal to recover.

I am running Hardy 8.04 with Firefox 3.0. Thank you for any assistance.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Leonard Bussey

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 14:20 -0600, Jim Rosser wrote:
> Im just curious is there a reason you did not use the repositories to
> install jre?

I did a search of the repositories for java and it showed that the
java-common and java-gcj files were installed. Also Firefox showed that
java was enabled. However I noticed that java applets were not loading.
I followed the links from Firefox to Sun's java test page and it said
that I needed to upgrade the jre. Thats when I screwed up Firefox.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 PM
"Jim Rosser"

Check to see if sun-java6-jre is installed b/c i think that is what your looking for. If not i would uninstall your earlier installation and install this.* I never have had any problems so hopefully this is the right package and it works for you.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Leonard Bussey

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 15:08 -0600, Jim Rosser wrote:
> Check to see if sun-java6-jre is installed b/c i think that is what
> your looking for. If not i would uninstall your earlier installation
> and install this. I never have had any problems so hopefully this is
> the right package and it works for you.

This did the trick for me. It never occured to me that the jre files
would be named sun-javaX-jre. I installed jre6 and everything works
like it should now.

´╗┐Thank you very much.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:29 AM
"David Fox"

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Leonard Bussey <lbus42@gmail.com> wrote:

> This did the trick for me. It never occured to me that the jre files
> would be named sun-javaX-jre. I installed jre6 and everything works
> like it should now.

Hmm. I just did that and restarted firefox - no go. The java test page
says my java is not working, despite having Enable Java selected.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Leonard Bussey

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 21:29 -0700, David Fox wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Leonard Bussey <lbus42@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This did the trick for me. It never occured to me that the jre files
> > would be named sun-javaX-jre. I installed jre6 and everything works
> > like it should now.
>
> Hmm. I just did that and restarted firefox - no go. The java test page
> says my java is not working, despite having Enable Java selected.

Did you follow the procedures on Sun's site or did you install the JRE
using the Synaptic Package Manager? I had initially downloaded it from
Sun's site and used their procedures which hosed Firefox. After using
Synaptic to install the sun-java6.jre files, everything went back to
normal and Sun's java test site shows that java is working now.
HTH

Old 07-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Clifford Haynes

Leonard Bussey wrote:

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 21:29 -0700, David Fox wrote:

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Leonard Bussey <lbus42@gmail.com> wrote:

This did the trick for me. It never occured to me that the jre files
would be named sun-javaX-jre. I installed jre6 and everything works
like it should now.

Hmm. I just did that and restarted firefox - no go. The java test page
says my java is not working, despite having Enable Java selected.

Did you follow the procedures on Sun's site or did you install the JRE
using the Synaptic Package Manager? I had initially downloaded it from
Sun's site and used their procedures which hosed Firefox. After using
Synaptic to install the sun-java6.jre files, everything went back to
normal and Sun's java test site shows that java is working now.
HTH

I'm having the same problem ...* Have sun-java file installed using
Synaptic Package Manager.

When I go to my game site, www.pogo.com, I can sign in OK, get to the
main page, the game

page, but when I go to play any of the games, I get the pop up "install
java now" "yes" "no".

I then check to see if all my exceptions are set, which they are, &
test according to their

test, which gives me 3 pop up windows.* Third one says I'm good to go.*
Again I try & NO-GO.

Same thing all over.* Took out Firefox3 & put in Firefox2* Still a
NO-GO.

What's up folks?* Seems to me sumfin is broke?* I'm still wet behind
the ears & need leading

by the hand.

Cliff

Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 PM
"David Fox"

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Leonard Bussey <lbus42@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you follow the procedures on Sun's site or did you install the JRE
> using the Synaptic Package Manager? I had initially downloaded it from
> Sun's site and used their procedures which hosed Firefox. After using

I just got it from the repositories. I'm on 64bit, but that shouldn't
be an issue, right?

Here's what I have in the java department currently:

dfox@newbox:~/stellarium$ aptitude search java | grep ^i
i A java-common - Base of all Java packages
i java-gcj-compat - Java runtime environment using GIJ
i A java-gcj-compat-headless - Java runtime environment using GIJ (headle
i A libbcel-java - Analyze, create, and manipulate (binary) J
i A libjaxp1.3-java - Java XML parser and transformer APIs (DOM,
i A libjaxp1.3-java-gcj - Java XML parser and transformer APIs (DOM,
i A libjline-java - Java library for handling console input
i A liblog4j1.2-java - Logging library for java
i A liblog4j1.2-java-gcj - Logging library for java (native code)
i A libmx4j-java - An open source implementation of the JMX(T
i A libregexp-java - regular expression library for Java
i A libxalan2-java - XSL Transformations (XSLT) processor in Ja
i A libxalan2-java-gcj - XSL Transformations (XSLT) processor in Ja
i A libxerces2-java - Validating XML parser for Java with DOM le
i A libxerces2-java-gcj - Validating XML parser for Java with DOM le
i openoffice.org-java-common - OpenOffice.org office suite Java support a
i A sun-java6-bin - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (
i sun-java6-jre - Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (

Old 07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Leonard Bussey

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 06:24 -0700, David Fox wrote:

> I just got it from the repositories. I'm on 64bit, but that shouldn't
> be an issue, right?

Don't know whether java works on 64 bit version or not. Someone with
more knowledge than me would need to answer this. I do know that the 64
bit version of firefox do not have 64 bit versions of plugins available.
That's why I went back to the 32 bit version of Ubuntu.