Old 07-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Leif Gregory

Default Way to view MS Office's new file format

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:49:14 -0700
Steve Grace <sgrace@pobox.com> wrote:

> I recently received a Word file with the extension ".docx" (which I
> assumed was the new Office format). The file opened with no problem in
> OpenOffice.org Writer.

Yeah, I think OO 2.4 and higher opens them fine.

--
Leif Gregory
Power Wagon Registry: http://powerwagonregistry.org

Old 07-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Carlos Alberto Alves

Leif Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:49:14 -0700
> Steve Grace <sgrace@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> I recently received a Word file with the extension ".docx" (which I
>> assumed was the new Office format). The file opened with no problem in
>> OpenOffice.org Writer.
>
> Yeah, I think OO 2.4 and higher opens them fine.

I think OO 3.x opens those files. You can convert them for free at...
http://www.zamzar.com
HTH,

Old 07-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook

Linda Hanigan wrote:
> Is there an open source way to view MS Office's new file format? We
> are starting to get more of these annoying files as email
> attachments.

This might help.

Peter HB

Old 07-22-2008, 06:23 PM
NoOp

On 07/22/2008 07:18 AM, Linda Hanigan wrote:
> Is there an open source way to view MS Office's new file format?
> We are starting to get more of these annoying files as email
> attachments.
> Thanks
> Linda

I see from your email header that you are using Evolution 2.6.1, meaning
that you are running Dapper 6.06. You basically have 3 choices:

1. You can send the files back to the sender and tell them that you
won'd accept them in that format.

2. You can upgrade your 6.06 to Hardy 7.04 and then complete the
OpenOffice.org (OOo) installation by:
sudo apt-get install openoffice.org
That will bring in Ubuntu's OpenOffice 2.4.1 which can read docx files.

3. You can install the beta version of OpenOffice.org from:
http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/
That will install separate from your existing (U)OOo and you can use it
to convert the docx files to doc files that can be used with your
existing version of OOo.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Spruil

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:28:51 -0400, Michael.Coll-Barth wrote:

> Does the latest version of Open Office work with the new formats, yet?

I did try OO3 briefly and it read word and Excel files better than I
expected. No idea for the rest of office. It was by no means perfect
though and I certainly wouldn't turn in work to an MSO2007 user this way.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 11:23 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> 2. You can upgrade your 6.06 to Hardy 7.04

Just to be clear: NoOp meant Ubuntu 8.04 (the default upgrade option
from 6.06)

Old 07-22-2008, 07:07 PM
NoOp

On 07/22/2008 11:35 AM, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 11:23 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> 2. You can upgrade your 6.06 to Hardy 7.04
>
> Just to be clear: NoOp meant Ubuntu 8.04 (the default upgrade option
> from 6.06)

Yes. Thanks & good catch :-)

Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 PM
"debiani386@gmail.com"

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 09:18 -0500, Linda Hanigan wrote:
> Is there an open source way to view MS Office's new file format?
> We are starting to get more of these annoying files as email
> attachments.
> Thanks
> Linda

well if oo cant do it, you can run MS office in wine. I believe office
2k7 will work. I havent tried it yet because i dont have a valid product
key.

check out wines appdb. There are some features that dont work, but its
mostly with excel.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4992&iTesting Id=24954

--cj

Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 PM
NoOp

On 07/22/2008 10:35 AM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> Linda Hanigan wrote:
>> Is there an open source way to view MS Office's new file format? We
>> are starting to get more of these annoying files as email
>> attachments.
>
> This might help.

> Peter HB

Not likely:
<quote>
You sent the attachment in Microsoft Word format, a secret proprietary
format, so I cannot read it. If you send me the plain text, HTML, or
PDF, then I could read it.
</quote>

HTML is turned off on _all_ of my email clients.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Derek Broughton

NoOp wrote:

> On 07/22/2008 10:35 AM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>> Linda Hanigan wrote:
>>> Is there an open source way to view MS Office's new file format? We
>>> are starting to get more of these annoying files as email
>>> attachments.
>>
>> This might help.
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
>
> Not likely:
> <quote>
> You sent the attachment in Microsoft Word format, a secret proprietary
> format, so I cannot read it. If you send me the plain text, HTML, or
> PDF, then I could read it.
> </quote>
>
> HTML is turned off on _all_ of my email clients.

Not to mention that I'm not going to change the habits of any of the Doc
users I correspond with - and don't particularly want to. I don't use
Word, but I _do_ use OO to do Word-like things and send .doc files to my
colleagues.
--
derek