Old 07-22-2008, 02:47 PM
gordonsmall User

Default Scanner problems xsane

I am new to the Ubuntu world, and am gradually working my way thru the
various applications. I have run into a problem using my scanner. The
computer is a AMD 64 bit system (3800) with 1 gig of RAM and plenty of
storage.

When I turn on the scanner, a small dialog box opens up with the heading
xsane 0.995 - Identifies scanner. In a moment or two, I am presented
with a choice of two devices, one of them being my Epson 2450 scanner. I
select that scanner. After a minute or two I get the following message:

Failure to obtain value of option monitor button: error during drive
I/O.

Just for the heck of it, I continue on, and the application opens up
with the acquire button active. I scan a document, but it does not look
quite right, and when I click on the enable color preference, I get a
message saying : error during CMS conversion. Could not open scanner ICM
profile. About this time I have to force the application to quit. BTW,
it will scan a b&w document, but I can't do much with it once it is
scanned.

I have found a couple of things to try in the forums and Ubuntu pages.
One was to add myself to the scanner group, which I did. The other was
to use the Synaptic manager to add the libsane - extras file which I had
already done. None of these have changed the outcome.

BTW, I am presented with two choices when Xsane identifies the scanner -
the other being Epson -GT-9700. If I select that (tho it is not my
scanner), everything opens much more quickly, but it still comes to the
same conclusion - could not open ICM profile.

I am trying to make the conversion from Windows to Ubuntu, and have been
very impressed with many of the features. Unfortunately, I use my
scanner a lot, and moving back and forth between Windows and Ubuntu is
not the best use of time. If any suggestions on how to fix the problems
involve the use of the Command Line, please spell out exactly what to
do, as I have practically no experience with Linux.

Gordon Small

Old 07-22-2008, 06:52 PM
NoOp

On 07/22/2008 07:47 AM, gordonsmall User wrote:
> I am new to the Ubuntu world, and am gradually working my way thru the
> various applications. I have run into a problem using my scanner. The
> computer is a AMD 64 bit system (3800) with 1 gig of RAM and plenty of
> storage.
>
> When I turn on the scanner, a small dialog box opens up with the heading
> xsane 0.995 - Identifies scanner. In a moment or two, I am presented
> with a choice of two devices, one of them being my Epson 2450 scanner. I
> select that scanner. After a minute or two I get the following message:
>
> Failure to obtain value of option monitor button: error during drive
> I/O.
>
> Just for the heck of it, I continue on, and the application opens up
> with the acquire button active. I scan a document, but it does not look
> quite right, and when I click on the enable color preference, I get a
> message saying : error during CMS conversion. Could not open scanner ICM
> profile. About this time I have to force the application to quit. BTW,
> it will scan a b&w document, but I can't do much with it once it is
> scanned.
>
> I have found a couple of things to try in the forums and Ubuntu pages.
> One was to add myself to the scanner group, which I did. The other was
> to use the Synaptic manager to add the libsane - extras file which I had
> already done. None of these have changed the outcome.
>
> BTW, I am presented with two choices when Xsane identifies the scanner -
> the other being Epson -GT-9700. If I select that (tho it is not my
> scanner), everything opens much more quickly, but it still comes to the
> same conclusion - could not open ICM profile.

According to SANE, the scanner is supported:
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON

Have a look at the XSANE documentation to see if perhaps you need to
modify the settings:
http://www.xsane.org/doc/sane-xsane-doc.html
http://www.xsane.org/doc/sane-xsane-color-management-doc.html
http://www.xsane.org/doc/sane-xsane-setup-color-management-doc.html

Old 07-22-2008, 07:02 PM
NoOp

On 07/22/2008 11:52 AM, NoOp wrote:

> According to SANE, the scanner is supported:
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON
>
> Have a look at the XSANE documentation to see if perhaps you need to
> modify the settings:
> http://www.xsane.org/doc/sane-xsane-doc.html
> http://www.xsane.org/doc/sane-xsane-color-management-doc.html
> http://www.xsane.org/doc/sane-xsane-setup-color-management-doc.html

I also ran across this just now:
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#linux
and that references http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do
Apparently Avasys works with, or is part of Seiko Epson and provide
various drivers for all in one type devices:
http://avasys.jp/hp/menu000000500/hpg000000443.htm
I'm not sure it any of this applies to your particular standalone
scanner, but it might be worth bookmarking just in case.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:12 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 9:47 AM, gordonsmall User
<gordonsmall@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I am new to the Ubuntu world, and am gradually working my way thru the
> various applications. I have run into a problem using my scanner. The
> computer is a AMD 64 bit system (3800) with 1 gig of RAM and plenty of
> storage.
>
> When I turn on the scanner, a small dialog box opens up with the heading
> xsane 0.995 - Identifies scanner. In a moment or two, I am presented
> with a choice of two devices, one of them being my Epson 2450 scanner. I
> select that scanner. After a minute or two I get the following message:
>
> Failure to obtain value of option monitor button: error during drive
> I/O.
>
> Just for the heck of it, I continue on, and the application opens up
> with the acquire button active. I scan a document, but it does not look
> quite right, and when I click on the enable color preference, I get a
> message saying : error during CMS conversion. Could not open scanner ICM
> profile. About this time I have to force the application to quit. BTW,
> it will scan a b&w document, but I can't do much with it once it is
> scanned.
>
> I have found a couple of things to try in the forums and Ubuntu pages.
> One was to add myself to the scanner group, which I did. The other was
> to use the Synaptic manager to add the libsane - extras file which I had
> already done. None of these have changed the outcome.
>
> BTW, I am presented with two choices when Xsane identifies the scanner -
> the other being Epson -GT-9700. If I select that (tho it is not my
> scanner), everything opens much more quickly, but it still comes to the
> same conclusion - could not open ICM profile.
>
> I am trying to make the conversion from Windows to Ubuntu, and have been
> very impressed with many of the features. Unfortunately, I use my
> scanner a lot, and moving back and forth between Windows and Ubuntu is
> not the best use of time. If any suggestions on how to fix the problems
> involve the use of the Command Line, please spell out exactly what to
> do, as I have practically no experience with Linux.
>
> Gordon Small

Hi Gordon,

Look in the Xsane preferences for 'Enable Color Management' and untick
it. That should allow you to scan in color. If you want to use color
management, you will need to supply .icm profiles, as outlined here:
http://www.xsane.org/doc/sane-xsane-setup-color-management-doc.html

I usually scan from GIMP (Applications->Graphics->GIMP Image Editor),
by selecting File->Acquire->Xsane->Device Dialog. That way I can
perform any corrections that are needed after closing the Xsane
dialog.

HTH,
Chris