-   -   ubuntu 8.04 +ATI +Compiz (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/129466-ubuntu-8-04-ati-compiz.html)

"H. Ibrahim Hancioglu" 07-22-2008 02:44 PM

ubuntu 8.04 +ATI +Compiz

Hello,
I am user of ubuntu 8.04 and latest ATI drivers(8.7). The videos and
OpenGL applications are flickering while compiz is enabled. What is your
suggestions? May I switch to open sourced drivers? or do you have any
patch to solve that problem?

Thanks in advance.
Ibrahim Hancioglu.

Mario Vukelic 07-22-2008 05:59 PM

ubuntu 8.04 +ATI +Compiz

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 17:44 +0300, H. Ibrahim Hancioglu wrote:
> I am user of ubuntu 8.04 and latest ATI drivers(8.7). The videos and
> OpenGL applications are flickering while compiz is enabled. What is your
> suggestions?

Hard to say. What is the exact model of your graphics card? Until
recently I ran a laptop with an ATI Radeon Mobile X1300, and had no such
issues with compiz.

Also, it would help if you could define "flickering" more precisely. For
example, when does it happen, if you move windows around or all the
time.

> May I switch to open sourced drivers?

ATi released sufficient specs to write a 3D-accelerated driver only for
a very limited set of graphics cards (which are all older models, as far
as I know). Again, which model do you use?

> or do you have any
> patch to solve that problem?

If your card requires the proprietary drivers, then only ATi can fix
them :(

"debiani386@gmail.com" 07-22-2008 07:22 PM

ubuntu 8.04 +ATI +Compiz

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 17:44 +0300, H. Ibrahim Hancioglu wrote:
> Hello,
> I am user of ubuntu 8.04 and latest ATI drivers(8.7). The videos and
> OpenGL applications are flickering while compiz is enabled. What is your
> suggestions? May I switch to open sourced drivers? or do you have any
> patch to solve that problem?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Ibrahim Hancioglu.

programs that use openGL just run like crap when being used in
conjunction with Compiz. So far, the only solution that i know of is to
disable Compiz.

--cj

komputes 07-22-2008 09:12 PM

ubuntu 8.04 +ATI +Compiz

I can say that I have had similar problems with ATI. I have a Radeon
9200 AGP card which under 7.10 Gutsy works perfectly with the ati driver
and allows me to use compiz and advanced 3D/GL stuff properly at good
frame rates, but once upgraded to 8.04 Hardy it switches to the radeon
driver no matter what I put in my xorg.conf file. The result is that I
can't start compiz or any games in 8.04. I still have not found an
explanation for this regression. If anyone knows how I can make this
work or bring back packages from 7.10 into 8.04 to make this work, I
would appreciate it.

-komputes

"Liam McCombes" 07-22-2008 11:17 PM

ubuntu 8.04 +ATI +Compiz

Perhaps slightly off from the original topic, but I thought I would post here anyway. I have a Radeon 9550 AGP card and Ubuntu 8.04, using the latest drivers from ati. I can start compiz and it seems to run fine, however the scrolling in firefox becomes extremely slow. The scrolling is slower than on windows in the first place but with compiz enabled Firefox becomes unuseable. I don't know wether this is just the Ati drivers, which I have heard are pretty slow, but everything I have tried has not solved this problem.