Old 07-22-2008, 02:25 PM
MJang

Default Ubuntu 8.04.1 - Intel Pro/Wireless 3945AGB Solution (w/o Duct Tape)?

On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 12:21 -0400, Odean H. Goforth wrote:
> I am wanting to migrate from Windows to Linux. However my wireless
> card will not work with the current release of Ubuntu. I am using a
> Dell Notebook E1505 with an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945AGB card. This
> card worked fine with Ubuntu 7.10.

Dear Odean,

I have a Dell E1405 with the same 3945ABG wireless network card. I've
used it with both 7.10 and 8.04. I installed fresh both times. In both
cases, it worked fine out of the box. No duct tape required.

The device files did change - I think it was eth1 in 7.10. It's now
wlan0.

>From an lsmod, I see iwl3945, iwlwifi_mac80211, and cfg80211 modules
loaded on my 8.04 system. I think it was slightly different in 7.10, but
that's just my faulty memory.

I see the following in the output to my lspci -
0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
Network Connection (rev 02)

It shows up fine in the output to an iwconfig

Have you tried it from the Live CD? What do you see in the output to the
following commands:

lsmod
lspci
iwconfig
sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

Thanks,
Mike

Old 07-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Pastor JW

On Sunday 20 July 2008 09:21:11 am Odean H. Goforth wrote:
> I am wanting to migrate from Windows to Linux. However my wireless card
> will not work with the current release of Ubuntu. I am using a Dell
> Notebook E1505 with an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945AGB card. This card worked
> fine with Ubuntu 7.10.

I thought this was actually addressed in 7.10, ...from my notes changes I made
before I upgraded to 8.04:

Create a file called /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-ipw3945 and add:

blacklist ipw3945

Add to /etc/modules:

iwl3945

Reboot. After the system restarts, verify that the module iwl3945 (and not
ipw3945) is loaded:

$ lsmod | egrep 'Module|iwl|ipw'

You should see an output that looks like:

Module Size Used by
iwl3945 88168 0
iwlwifi_mac80211 175112 1 iwl3945
cfg80211 7304 1 iwlwifi_mac80211

As seen, only the iwl3945 module is loaded.

> Will this card be supported in the Linux community or not? I have been
> able to fine reference to many people having the same problem I am however
> I am finding no solutions to the problem only "Duct Tape" fixes that don't
> work.

This is the card in my Dell laptop and it works fine with Ubuntu. There is
one little help I found to make connections more sure and to the WiFi point I
wish to use called WiFi Radar. I have three neighbor's points around my
house plus my own which the laptop will automatically connect to, so
sometimes I want to change over to mine as I want to access parts of the home
network, plus mine is a "g" rather than "b" connection. At the
office there are 6 plus my own. WiFi Radar make selection or changing easy!

> If anyone has a solution please forward this to me.

Hope that helped, BTW- my wireless shows up as eth1 and the wired (hardly ever
used on this laptop) as eth0.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 07-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Derek Broughton

Pastor JW wrote:

>> If anyone has a solution please forward this to me.
>
> Hope that helped, BTW- my wireless shows up as eth1 and the wired (hardly
> ever used on this laptop) as eth0.

Yes, MJang's observation that it became wlan0 implies he's using
ndiswrapper, now, but that really shouldn't be necessary for Intel wifi.
--
derek

Old 07-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 05:26:56PM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
>
> >> If anyone has a solution please forward this to me.
> >
> > Hope that helped, BTW- my wireless shows up as eth1 and the wired (hardly
> > ever used on this laptop) as eth0.
>
> Yes, MJang's observation that it became wlan0 implies he's using
> ndiswrapper, now, but that really shouldn't be necessary for Intel wifi.

Nope, iwl3945 creates a device named wlan0.

If you've upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04, udev will most likely rename it to
eth1 right away, to keep the old name.

Marius Gedminas
--
If you are smart enough to know that you're not smart enough to be an
Engineer, then you're in Business.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 PM
"Chris Mohler"

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
>
>>> If anyone has a solution please forward this to me.
>>
>> Hope that helped, BTW- my wireless shows up as eth1 and the wired (hardly
>> ever used on this laptop) as eth0.
>
> Yes, MJang's observation that it became wlan0 implies he's using
> ndiswrapper, now, but that really shouldn't be necessary for Intel wifi.
> --
> derek

I have the same adapter - works "out of the box". In Gutsy it was
eth1, and in Hardy device is wlan0 - I'm not using ndiswrapper.

Chris

Old 07-23-2008, 11:59 AM
"Phil Bieber"

Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 04:59:46 am Phil Bieber wrote:

> So am I. The only problem I have, is that my connection is rather
> shaky and the speeds suck. I tried it with different distros (Fedora 9
> 64 Bit, Ubuntu Hardy 32 Bit) and nothing changes... I just don't know
> what happened. With Gutsy, everything was good!
> I did confirm that only the iwl modules were loaded (as Pastor JW
> suggested)...

I remember dropouts with the other module, but didn't notice speeds.

> If anybody has an idea how to solve something like that, I'm open for
> any suggestions....

Today ,whenever I find a speed problem, I also find that because of noise (you
can check the levels with "iwconfig"), it is only managing a "b" connection
and also I am on a point different than mine (distance is greater). My
Belkin point is set to connect as either "b" or "g" but seems to default
to "g" first and fall back to "b" if it can not make a connection at "g". (I
also use a Palm lifedrive and it can only connect to "b" so both "b' and "g"
are enabled) I have noticed my neighbors Linksys point seems to default
to "b" first on my Dell but my secretary's Vaio normally connects to the same
point as "g", I don't know what wireless card the Vaio has and she is now on
vacation.

> Oh and yes, with Windows I get speeds >= 1000kbyte/s (while hardy only
> sometimes even reaches ~50kbyte/s)

This would seem to point to a Ubuntu config file; however, I don't find one
which makes any sense to me. Then too, I normally run in KDE rather than
Gnome and the manager may be different. KWiFiManager does make a log and I
can see which point I connected to and at what time and date.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:09 AM
"Phil Bieber"

Old 07-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Mark Kirkwood

Odean H. Goforth wrote:

> I am wanting to migrate from Windows to Linux. However my wireless
> card will not work with the current release of Ubuntu. I am using a
> Dell Notebook E1505 with an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945AGB card. This card
> worked fine with Ubuntu 7.10.
>
> Will this card be supported in the Linux community or not? I have been
> able to fine reference to many people having the same problem I am
> however I am finding no solutions to the problem only “Duct Tape”
> fixes that don’t work.

Not really that helpful to you I'm afraid, but I'm running an Asus
pro31j that has the same wireless card, and it is working about as well
as Vista did (quite well) - which I must say is excellent!

My AP is a Linksys WAG54G V2 (type of AP may be relevant...).

Cheers

Mark

Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Karl Larsen

Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Odean H. Goforth wrote:
>
>> I am wanting to migrate from Windows to Linux. However my wireless
>> card will not work with the current release of Ubuntu. I am using a
>> Dell Notebook E1505 with an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945AGB card. This card
>> worked fine with Ubuntu 7.10.

Well wait before you complain about Linux! Your computer worked with
Ubuntu Gutsy but I assume it does not work with Hardy.

The question to ask is: Does the current kernel on Hardy support
your wireless hardware? It seems that it does so you must have another
problem. And this problem is one of your own computer. If you still have
Gutsy on the computer does it still work?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User